More POWA and a FRIDGE!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headache

Reaction score
Recently a very expensive issue for me was rectified.

For the last two years I've been using coolers to keep my pet food, beverages and a few food items for me cool.  While I knew this was going to be an expensive option until I could pay for a better one I didn't realize just how expensive it would become.  The first year and a half I averaged about $16 a week for a total of approximately $1248.  The last 6 months I've averaged about $25 a week for a total of about $650.  Since it warmed up and any time the outside temps were higher than 80 degrees I was spending almost $30 a week for ice.  Right now my total for the last 2 years stands at about $1898.  This was unsustainable.

Starting out I had a set of two 75 watt panels connected to my start battery with a 10 amp charge controller, barely enough to charge my phone and power storage box unless the sky was completely clear.  Not even close to any kind of refrigeration.  However, this season timing and money was on my side and with the help of some friends my issue with ice has ended and the cooler is in storage.

My solar charging system is now three 200 watt panels on the roof for 600 watts, a 40 watt MPPT charge controller and 3 group 27 lead acid marine/rv deep cycle batteries for about 140 amp hours.

My fridge/freezer is an EdgeStar 3.1 cu ft.  I just couldn't afford a 12 volt fridge at this time.  A separate freezer section was a must.

I'm very pleased!  The system charges on cloudy days as long as it isn't too dark.  Just a few days ago it was cloudy for a few days in a row(one of them it was raining) and the lowest it got was 12.4v.

Right now the only things on the system are the fridge/freezer, the 600 watt pure sine wave inverter and the extension cord(it has lighted ends).  The rest hasn't been hooked up yet.  I'm going to add 600 more watts of panels next season, a bigger inverter and of course a 100 amp charge controller.  My goal is to also run an a/c(and park next to HDR when it's running lol), my computers and TV and my kitchen things like juicer, electric hot plate and microwave.  I blame Jim for this after seeing what he was running in his trailer!

I would like to thank Jimindenver for designing a working system including using stuff I picked up from the RTR free pile and abnorm who built the battery box and the wall that went behind it where the components are screwed into.

I'll update as I add/change things to the system.  Please don't make this a 110 vs. 12 volt debate.  I didn't have the money for the size of 12 volt fridge I needed that also had a separate freezer section.

One thing I still struggle with is understanding numbers and sometimes how things work.  Jim has been very patient with me in this regard.  One thing that kept me out of trouble with the 150 watt system is that I had one of the battery meters that plugged into a 12 volt receptacle.  It had red, yellow and green lights and I charged/plugged in stuff according to the lights.  My new charge controller is a Bluetooth app thingy and sometimes when I'm looking at it I draw a complete blank.  Thankfully it also has idiot lights on it so I have some kind of backup when my brain just wont engage.  I'm terrified of frying batteries.

Edit: I forgot to add that yesterday for the first time in almost 3 years I was able to buy frozen raw dog food and could put it right in the freezer. Absolutely life changing for me and my babies!

yep people don't realize how expensive ice is. especially once you factor in the time it takes to go get it and the gas for your vehicle.

a big prospector salute to Jim and Doug. 2 great guys. thanks guys.

highdesertranger

I am so happy for you, Headache. For me, a van refrigerator makes the difference between bare survival and being able to enjoy the journey. Congratulations! And thanks to those who helped you make it work!

Wow! I didn’t realize you have 600 watts up there and I can’t imagine how it all fits! Take a photo!

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I inadvertently left you and John out as one of the suppliers of the solar panels I bought.  Thank you!

I have to have a custom roof rack made because the rain gutters and the tops of the doors are too close together to install the gutter mount types.  It's the only way I'll be able to stuff 6 panels up there(1200 watts woohoo!). That custom rack will just clear the low profile EZ Breeze roof fan and will also have 3 tilt panels to house 2 panels in each frame.  Right now the 3 panels are screwed directly into the roof with those big Renogy feet.  They are between the front of the roof and the vent fan.  I'll get a pic when it isn't so windy.

highdesertranger said:
yep people don't realize how expensive ice is.  especially once you factor in the time it takes to go get it and the gas for your vehicle.

No doubt!  I was going into town every 2-4 days just for ice!  Add to that the wear and tear on my vans tires and suspension...UGH!

Now I HATE having to go into town!  At least I can make it a definite 4 days minimum but until I get the chuck-it-bucket dealt with(can I stuff a toilet and black tank into my van somewhere...) I'm still forced to go into town.  At least I can couple that with a fresh fruit and veggie fill up!

I can’t imagine 1200 watts on the roof of a van. You certainly need to post a wonder like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headache said:
Right now the only things on the system are the fridge/freezer, the 600 watt pure sine wave inverter and the extension cord(it has lighted ends).  The rest hasn't been hooked up yet.  I'm going to add 600 more watts of panels next season, a bigger inverter and of course a 100 amp charge controller.  My goal is to also run an a/c(and park next to HDR when it's running lol), my computers and TV and my kitchen things like juicer, electric hot plate and microwave.  I blame Jim for this after seeing what he was running in his trailer!
Several 40 amp MPPT chargers are cheaper than one giant 100 amp and gives you more flexibility :thumbsup:

Multiple charge controllers require more room for the controllers, wiring, switches and fuses. Add a bus bar because you simply can't put that many lugs on the battery terminal. Add a second bus bar for the inverter, converter and 12 volt terminal block. She does not have room for the extra components.

Thanks! As you can see I'm not concerned with "stealth". But I'm very proud to have made my first batch of ice cubes! I'm enjoying them in my lemonade now!

One note on how those panels are mounted; since they are screwed in closer rather than wider(the stamped ribs in the roof forced Jim into that) I only drive 60 mph. Not only am I saving money on ice I'm saving it on gas as well. However, once the roof rack is up...muahahahahaha!