BLM

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
The forest service manages the national forests.What does the blm manage?Everybody always calls it blm land,but it doesn't belong to the blm.I have wondered about this for years.Maybe I've got too much time on my hands today.

Yes, you do.... :p

Somewhere way back in and around creation date, it was decided (and don't ask me how) that ALL land had to be owned by somebody!

What isn't owned privately, held under treaty rights by the American Indians, held by state governments, or a gazillion other 'owners' is either designated as National Forest or BLM land.

IMO, it would appear that the NF got all the land that could possibly be used for something worthwhile and the BLM guys got the rest.

And, yes, in a sense it does belong to the blm guys...it's federally 'owned' land that has been given to the BLM to manage.

the land belongs to We the People the BLM manages the land. highdesertranger

HDR,thats true.I just think it should have a name.Maybe National Grasslands.Or National Sagelands.National Wastelands?

they are called public lands. they got real creative on that. highdesertranger

Bob Dickerson said:
. . . National Wastelands?

Those are managed by the EPA  :p   l think a lot of BLM land is leased out for grazing.

-- Spiff

The BLM was created to manage federal land not claimed by other agencies. Military and the Bureau of reclamation are amoung the federal agencies that manage land.

National Monuments and National Recreation Areas are managed by one of the agencies mentioned in this thread, NPS, NFS, and BLM for those I know of offhand.

National Wasteland = swamp along the Potomac River- AKA - Washington, DC.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are 2 federal agencies that manage "land", the US department of the Interior (the head of which is on the President's cabinet) Sally Jewell is the current head of the agency (and interestingly was born in the UK). They manage about 75% of all "public" land, and the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) is part of the US department of the Interior.

The other agency is the US Department of Agriculture(USDA), which is who owns the USFS(US forest Service) all the national parks, etc. The current boss of the USDA is Tom Vilsack and is also a member of the President's Cabinet.