BLM land near Penrose/Canon City CO

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
Someone was asking about BLM land in Colorado.  I'm headed this way sometime today to check it out.  This is called 
Penrose Commons WSA.   If it looks good, I will probably stay there for the next 14 DAYS ONLY!  

https://freecampsites.net/#!51499&query=sitedetails

If I do stay here, I'll post a report on my observations. 

Pat

I would prob stay 15 and then post about it. See if anyone would take the "bait" and start screeching at their screens. Lol. And no I didn't mean anyone who is currently a member of this here fine forum. I was talking about those other people, the ones who let me into their heads for FREEEE! They're silly.

:D

I have learned my lesson, gentleman!  

I would never admit it in this forum.  

hahahahah.

The Royal Gorge campground near Canon City offer free camping for 3 days, & my impression is they unofficially let people stay longer without hassles.

Also the Canon City rec center offers FREE showers if you go there before they open for the public.

PENROSE COMMONS WSA
I stopped by here yesterday on the way further south to pick up my Jeep.  Talked to a fellow who was camped there with a travel trailer.  

Very little shade in the places you are allowed to camp.  I was told that there are plenty more campsites further down the road, but that the road is pretty rough for most trailers; mostly used by 4X4 and ATV's.  Much hotter than where I had been; lower elevation; plus lack of shade as I mentioned. LOTS of flies, for some reason; again, compared to where I had been at 9300 ft.  

Not a bad place at all.  I might stay there some time in late spring , or early fall, which is only a month or 2 away.  It's about 30 miles west of Pueblo, which is generally a lot warmer than Co. Springs... except when THEY get a snowstorm.  Then, it's definitely Colorado, and you best like cold weather! 

Hope this helps somebody.  I'll report on places like this when I run across them.  
I'm hoping to go by Ophir Creek Rd (sometimes called Greenhorn Mountain Rd).  Part of San Isabel National Forest, popular with 5th wheels and such, as well as more primitive campers; such as Sasquatch and people like me.  Ugh! 

Supposedly lots of dispersed camping sites. 

Pat

It was 28 f here this morning I am told. I am already seeing patches of yellow on the hill side. So if you are hot and fly bitten, it is because you picked the wrong altitude. We are heading up even farther to Leadville today.

Stay for two days, go somewhere else for ten, come back and stay for a week!

VanForNow said:
The Royal Gorge campground near Canon City offer free camping for 3 days, & my impression is they unofficially let people stay longer without hassles.

My wife and I stayed here this past March, and it was amazing! There were two rigs parked in the two best overlooking spots when we got there, and they definitely seemed like they were staying much longer than 3 days.

The actual sites are SUPER nice, tent pad, fire ring, vault toilet, picnic table, beautiful view. And everything seems either really new, or very well maintained.

My wife and I actually just made a video highlighting this site and another BLM free campsite near Mesa Verde! Check it out for more detailed info.

Here are some pictures of the Royal Gorge, Canyon City campsite!
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    714 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    707.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
That is the one!! These are the coordinates for the site we stayed at. [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Royal Gorge State Park FREE Campsite: (38.464011, -105.292609)[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]You will NOT be disappointed! Let me know what you think when you get there.[/font]

I was thinking I might go there today,  but I ended up in Co. Springs.  It might be a while till I get to check that one out.   I will let you know as soon as I try it.  Maybe later this week.  The beauty of this life-style is that your plans can change in minutes!

Thanks,

Pat

I was the original contributor of the Mesa Verde BLM site. The area is continuing to evolve. Curiously, they've designated sites, but not done a 'designated sites only' rule posting.

Yea. As soon as you turn in you can see that people have made a few “designated” spots. We drove past all of those, made a left and went up to the top of the hill. You could tell not many people made it up to those spots. We will definitely stay there again. And hey, thanks for contributing!

pnolans said:
I was thinking I might go there today,  but I ended up in Co. Springs.  It might be a while till I get to check that one out.   I will let you know as soon as I try it.  Maybe later this week.  The beauty of this life-style is that your plans can change in minutes!

Did you ever make it out to the Royal Gorge site, Pat?

Nah, maybe next spring!  I'm in Raton, NM heading for Pahrump, NV.  

Thanks again,

Pat

VanForNow said:
The Royal Gorge campground near Canon City offer gree camping for 3 days, & my impression is they unofficially let people stay longer without hassles.

Also the Canon City rec center offers FREE showers if you go there before they open for the public.
 The Rec center failed for me.

Sasnak said:
 The Rec center failed for me.
Sorry to hear this, Stan. The shower I used at the rec center  was attached to the outdoor pool, which is probably closed in the winter.