blank metal stock for switches

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothicsurf

Reaction score
does anyone know where to find black anodized panels 3/32" thick for cutting various holes for switches?

You don't say a size ?......."anodized" oooh-fancy !.......My go-to source for non-structural flat stock is ENGRAVING SIGN PLASTIC .......I keep a couple pieces in the van for projects......(My Tip: Stop at an engraved plastic office sign shop......Offer $5 for boo-boo signs from the trash can)

Easy to fabricate..........takes paint well.......YMMV

Still need metal ?........Check the aisles for a replacement electrical box cover.....like a Blank bell box cover 4x4"

I DO have an approximately 4"x4" black anodized plate....w/rounded corners.....with me in the van for the last 3-years! ......It's the lens mounting plate from a large format Camera...........sorry it's sentimental......NFS

gothicsurf said:
does anyone know where to find black anodized panels 3/32" thick for cutting various holes for switches?

I'm puzzled...if you know what 'black anodized panels' are, and you know the thickness you need down to exactly 3/32 of an inch, (which is fairly substantial) and you will be 'cutting various holes for switches'.... how could you not know where to buy them?

I'm assuming you need these to be structural aluminum....if I'm wrong about that assumption, well, I've been wrong before...

For an online source, try McMaster Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/metals/aluminum/anodized-multipurpose-6061-aluminum-sheets-and-bars/

Or you can always try a local metal supplier, hobby shop, salvage yard, or machine shop.

well it's just the thickness of stock that all the snap-in switches are made for and wonder why there are not more 'blanks' readily available

guess I will just patch in some 1/8" ply until I have time for some flat stock aluminum fabrication --

71sKvB5gu6L._AC_SL1500_ (Custom).jpg71GxVhitI7L._AC_SL1500_ (Custom).jpg

Attachments

• 71sKvB5gu6L._AC_SL1500_ (Custom).jpg
    71sKvB5gu6L._AC_SL1500_ (Custom).jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0
  • 71GxVhitI7L._AC_SL1500_ (Custom).jpg
    71GxVhitI7L._AC_SL1500_ (Custom).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
you can go to any metal supply house and pick up the metal. then cut your holes and take to a place and have it anodized, it's always better to do all the machine work before the finish is applied. you can buy premade panels for marine use from manufacturers like Blue Sea have you looked at those? highdesertranger

I just use a piepan from the dollartree, it works good on all the switches I ever put in them. The picture shows a 8 year old fusebox I made, switches still on there tight, no corrosion. I didn't paint it, just used some of the sticky decorator roll of cabinet covering, also sold at the dollartree.

xt60 juction box a.jpg

Attachments

• xt60 juction box a.jpg
    xt60 juction box a.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 11
I like that piepan idea...and certainly less than 3/32"....much easier to work with. 

Bakeware comes in lots of easy to work with sizes and shapes, and can be bought damn near anywhere!

A little bit of sanding, and some rattlecan paint could result in some nice switch panels.

I think the 3/32" is maximum the switch will handle. Thinner should be fine and easier to work.

gothicsurf said:
well it's just the thickness of stock that all the snap-in switches are made for and wonder why there are not more 'blanks' readily available

guess I will just patch in some 1/8" ply until I have time for some flat stock aluminum fabrication --
You are planning on doing it the hard way. Go to bluesea.com you will find blsck plastic pieces that are made to hold those switches so that you can mount them into cabinet faces. They come in singles, 2 ,3,4 etc and also in a series wbere you can interlock a whole series adding as many inbetween tow far ends as you like. Blue Sea is a company out of Bellingham Wa, they have a lot of electrical panel options. Of course their main business is the marine trade but that also means you will get quality th at last. I have some of the switches and the inserts they fit into in my build.

Latest posts