Black water holding tank

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodineahrens

Reaction score
Me & Wife are long term in an RV campground. Noobs, in a new TT ,should we empty the black tank weekly or just leave it open full time?

Do not leave the black tank open. The liquid will drain off leaving a pile of toilet paper and poo that will harden and be almost impossible to remove. Instead keep it closed until it's almost full. Close the gray water for a day or two then drain the black and drain the gray to rinse the hose.

What he said...

I wish that one could "drain the black", and then "drain the grey into the black" in order to help rinse it out...

In addition ... some people do not put paper of any kind in the black tank and dispose of it in a can next to the toilet ( this is done in many parts of the world with primitive septic systems) and this helps to save space but also reduce potential issues.

Many recommend using tablets and other products that help the breaking down process in the tank between flushes.

Happy Throning!!

Nothing goes in the toilet unless it comes out of me. Paper and wipes go in a gallon freezer bag that sits in a garbage container beside the toilet. I have an much older RV that came only with a large black tank with a central highly sloped drain. As my shower, sinks and everything gray water passes through my black tank I am able to leave the valve open with no problems. Newer RVs with gray and black tanks can’t do that as the only way to flush them out is to fill them before dumping. It is a convenience to be able to use the gray water to wash out the drain hose after opening draining the black tank the closing the black tank valve but with the black water containing solids longer and in a more concentrated solution it causes more problems and odors in my opinion.

yeah Bullfrog's RV is a rare exception.

do not leave your valve open. you want plenty of water mixed in your black tank before you dump. in fact after you dump you want to put some water in the tank so when you make a deposit it goes in the water if the RV was designed correctly. 50/50 chance of that.

some RV's will have a black tank flushing device. there are several types and designs of aftermarket and retrofit kits available that will flush(Kinda) your black tank.

highdesertranger

Latest posts