Bitten by the Van Bug...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugsy White

Reaction score
( Walks in like it's an AA meeting ) Hello all, my name is Bugsy ( everyone says "Hi Bugsy" ) ;P~ ...ok, seriously, a few months ago i went to my first RV show and i only saw a couple of Class B units ( A Roadtrek and a Pleasureway ). I knew after seeing this show, that i made my mind up that i was gonna get  a van come hell or high water. Problem?, WHICH kind of van, Dodge, Chevy, or Ford? Hi-Top or regular? Full contained RV or maybe build one myself from a normal cargo van?...now the research starts, ( still in progress..) hours on the internet, checking out YT vids, searching through Craigslist, reading up on Class B forum's, keeping my eye out during the day for any van, starting a saving's account JUST for the van, etc...  What i really want is a Dodge Xplorer 230 XLW ( 1998-2003 ) Dually, fully contained, clean and a price that doesnt put me in the poor house...Well, that is where im starting to think that maybe i should keep my feet on the ground and build one myself ( i am NOT a mechanic, nor do i have a garage, so im still reaching, lol )...Alright, im here cos i want a van and i need to be around van people, so without futher ado, my name is Bugsy and im glad to meet ya'll :)

Attachments

• Clone 230 XLW.jpg
    Clone 230 XLW.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 21
Hi Bugsy, welcome!

And to answer your question in the photo - sure you can, but you can also do better!

IMO, commercially made Class Bs' try to cram everything you'd have in a full size RV into the smaller space and end up only making things crowded. The main thing that goes out the window with them is the amount of usable storage space.

I don't have a garage either but most of the work can be done inside the van and isn't that loud. One of us here did most of his construction work in the far corner of the Home Depot parking lot for lack of any other place to work. I'm borrowing a friends driveway if my own parking spot won't work.

LOL :p Hi Bugsy. Welcome! Sounds like you found the right place. :D I've had the bug since the 70s but life got in the way. Now it's my turn and my time and I'm working toward life on the road too. Not sure which way I'm going either---only thing for sure is I want a van so I can do it up like I've always wanted. :)

Almost There said:
Hi Bugsy, welcome!

And to answer your question in the photo - sure you can, but you can also do better!

IMO, commercially made Class Bs' try to cram everything you'd have in a full size RV into the smaller space and end up only making things crowded. The main thing that goes out the window with them is the amount of usable storage space.

I don't have a garage either but most of the work can be done inside the van and isn't that loud. One of us here did most of his construction work in the far corner of the Home Depot parking lot for lack of any other place to work. I'm borrowing a friends driveway if my own parking spot won't work.

Thanks for the info. Thats the main reason im here, to learn from others who have been doing this for awhile :cool:

anewbiewannabe said:
LOL :p Hi Bugsy. Welcome! Sounds like you found the right place. :D I've had the bug since the 70s but life got in the way. Now it's my turn and my time and I'm working toward life on the road too. Not sure which way I'm going either---only thing for sure is I want a van so I can do it up like I've always wanted. :)

Awwwwww, the '70's  :p  'sigh', if i could only travel back in time and get a Dodge Street Van complete with bubble window, shag carpet, waterbed, graphics package ...ok, ok, ok, im awake now, lol  ( i almost forgot how bad 8-tracks were )....Thanks for the daydream while im still in the office, hahaha

Attachments

• Nautilus_chopped_custom_van_by_virtualvanner.jpg
    Nautilus_chopped_custom_van_by_virtualvanner.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 8
Since I figured out it's better to move your furniture in rather than to build it in, creating a new camper van got a lot easier. Buy a component, move it in, simple as that.

I have a metal framed futon sofa/bed with upgraded foam, student desk for desk/kitchen counter top, and a toilet/shower, and an old leather executive style swivel/reclining desk chair. Total cost for my entire setup was probably less than $300.

Throwing money at your camper van isn't going to make it nearly as comfortable or usable as carefully choosing your furnishings and systems, and tailoring them to your personal needs.

Welcome to the fold It took me a while to settle on an extended passenger HI-top van, I wanted diesel for power and towing and great milage I like standing up inside ye know puttin on yer pants. Cargo vans are just that rough and tough hard on bumps. Passenger vans ride smooth and have loads of windows.

Hi and Welcome.. to the dark side. :) I went with a passenger conversion van and did an easy set up. Still tweaking, of course. Aren't we always? haha!! Good luck in your search!

Off Grid 24/7, Wagoneer, & Theadyn, Thank you guys for the great advice, thats why im here. I will be continuing to research, plan, re-do my thought process and going back and forth on which particular kind of van to get and i will continue to scan through all of the topics here to make better decisions and to educate myself. :cool:

Bugsy White said:
Awwwwww, the '70's  :p  'sigh', if i could only travel back in time and get a Dodge Street Van complete with bubble window, shag carpet, waterbed, graphics package ...ok, ok, ok, im awake now, lol  ( i almost forgot how bad 8-tracks were )....Thanks for the daydream while im still in the office, hahaha

LOOOL, my dad had a maroon van, tinted bubble window and waterbed in back and dark brown shag carpet with 8 track player and would drive us around in it. Ahhh, you brang back a cute memory. It was daddy's "shag" van - double entendre intended.