Big Buddy Hookup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte's Web

Reaction score
Yikes!  My firewood delivery is NOT coming.  N CA fires have disrupted everyone/everything.  My wood guy, a volunteer fire fighter, is months behind in wood delivery.

Out of desperation, I just bought a Big Buddy heater, along with the 12' propane hose.  I've got a couple 20 lb
tanks.  There's a big storm coming in tonite & I'm anxious to fire it up!  I already tested heater with a 1 lb tank & it seems to work properly.  

Here's my QUESTION:  Do I need a fuel filter?  I find conflicting info online.  I don't want to damage the heater.
Also, do I need a pressure regulator? 

Confused! :huh: 
Thanks, Charlotte

No to the pressure regulator.

Whether you really need a filter depends on the hose you bought - if it's a Mr. Buddy hose then no! Otherwise you *should* have a filter.

For an emergency situation and since you're using a brand new hose, IIWM, I'd just go ahead and use it.

The problem with the regular hoses is that little pieces of the inside tend to break off with age and will clog the inlet valve on the Mr. Buddy. A wise idea would be to get one and a spare as soon as you can.

The word is that you should replace the filter annually anyways but I think that depends on how much you use it, just like anything else.

Almost There said:
No to the pressure regulator.

Whether you really need a filter depends on the hose you bought - if it's a Mr. Buddy hose then no! Otherwise you *should* have a filter.
Good news!  The hose I bought says Mr Heater, so....I hope I am correct to assume it's for the Big Buddy model.
In any case, I'm gonna fire it up & get warm. 
Thanks again, AT---I will remember what you said about replacing the filter.
:) Charlotte

like AT said run it. the buddy hoses are green. however I like to run the filter no matter what hose. if it was me I would get a filter ASAP. highdesertranger

It is dangerous to have the bottle indoors. You can use copper tubing for propane. Flare fittings of course.

Weight, IMO opinion, it isn't any more dangerous than carrying it in our vehicles. Probably actually safer, no bad drivers are going to be running in to her!

This is an emergency situation for Cha Cha, not something that is being plumbed in for permanent use. Big storm, no firewood, no power once the storm hits.

Almost There said:
"...it isn't any more dangerous than carrying it in our vehicles. Probably actually safer, no bad drivers are going to be running in to her!

This is an emergency situation for Cha Cha, not something that is being plumbed in for permanent use. Big storm, no firewood, no power once the storm hits.

Beth, I only last evening found your Lady Arabella build thread.  What a  *great* job you did of it!  So well
thought out, so attractive.  After the thread, I found you on Youtube.  Can't watch much YT, as I am on an
expensive data monitored Sat set up for computer.  It was worth the band width.

Cheers,
Cha Cha

If you got the hose with the pressure regulator on the tank end and a quick connect fitting on the Big Buddy end . No filter needed. The hose has low pressure in it.

The high pressure can leach oils that will clog up the heater (and ruin it) out of some types of rubber so a filter is always a good idea on them .
As said a spare filter is a good idea too.

If you can't get to one , fire it up , don't freeze.

Another option is refilling the little tanks from the 20#ers.
But you'd need an adapter for that..

You can see the teflon lining on the inside of the hose tgat doesn't require filtering.

Guys,

I heard something about rust from the 20 Lb. tank can cause a problem with rust/contaminants clogging the ceramic diffuser. Especially since the 20 Lbers. are refillable. Anybody think this could be a good reason to use a filter?

Mika

All my pipes and hoses are DIY made to length, wasn't aware of any on the market you couldn't inspect, clean out.

> Anybody think this could be a good reason to use a filter?
Should not be an issue with newish tanks, but one does hear of pollutants like oil spray getting into systems sometimes, maybe even from the gas.

Better safe than sorry I s'pose if you don't mind the extra expense.

But only IMO "necessary" using plain black hose, which does break down over time.

I use 20 pound tanks for the price and convenience factor. I ALWAYS use a filter, and carry a spare. It is not logical to risk a $70 heater so you don’t have to buy a $12 filter. It gets cold at night; why risk your heater not working when you need it?

Just my opinion . . .

In natural gas home installations with heaters its common to see 'sediment traps' near the appliances. I've never seen these used for portable propane heaters...has anyone used one?

But yes, a filter is a good idea.

I believe they do need pretty regular replacement, even if there would be no actual problem to the heater.

I haven't heard of other heaters requiring a filter.

It is dangerous to have a bottle indoors, house or vehicle. Many do it every day, but that does not make it safe.

Much more dangerous to drive over 40mph on public roads.

Taking a shower over 60 years old as well.

But people do it. . .

And I was confused  *before* I posted my questions! :p 

I will buy two filters, carefully check my connection with soapy water, & use good sense as to placement
of the heater & 20 lb tank.

I traveled for decades with a pair of 5 lb propane tanks in a milk crate under the jump seat of my VW Westfalia without incident.  At least no incidents as to propane, LOL.

(Texas, I assume you were jesting when you suggested cutting open the hose to look for teflon...?)

My 12ft hose packaging is labled Mr Heater with part #&273702.  Hose is black.  Made in the USA.

Must be good to go!  Thanks guys.
   :rolleyes: Charlotte