Best way to outfit for electricity that will meet my needs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandaOnTheRoad

Reaction score
Hi all!

I just purchased my future home [emoji2]

It is completely bare on the inside, so my boyfriend and I are đoing everything from scratch. He's handy with wood working and building, so we are comfortable on that front, but both completely lost as it comes to electricity.
We have a dog so air conditioning it important.
I also need the ability to run a blow dryer and all my general mobile device charging.
Money isn't necessarily a problem right now as we still both have full time jobs and aren't on the road yet... so initial install can cost a little more if it's in our future benefit.

So in short, help us!! Lol. I'm pretty sure the electricity should be done before we start the inside renovation process?

Hi Randa! A description and some pics of what you bought might be helpful in looking at what the options are.

Unless you're willing to spend $5k for lithium batteries, off-grid AC isn't very viable. Not impossible, but there's some definite limitations. So being plugged in might be the cheapest method for consistent AC.

What about refrigeration? Is this something you will also want?

At the top of page you'll see a toolbar that has "Electricity" and "Solar and Wind" headings...spend some time reading through those for a basic understanding of the options. http://www.cheaprvliving.com/electrical/electricity/

Installing an electrical system in a vehicle can be about as simple or as complicated as you choose. At the start, it all looks a bit undecipherable, but just keep re-reading the basics and before long you'll see that you have a grasp of the components involved, then can move on to focus on how they get put together...

RandaOnTheRoad said:
Hi all!

I just purchased my future home [emoji2]

It is completely bare on the inside,  so my boyfriend and I are đoing everything from scratch. He's handy with wood working and building,  so we are comfortable on that front, but both completely lost as it comes to electricity.
We have a dog so air conditioning it important.
I also need the ability to run a blow dryer and all my general mobile device charging.
Money isn't necessarily a problem right now as we still both have full time jobs and aren't on the road yet... so initial install can cost a little more if it's in our future benefit.

So in short, help us!! Lol. I'm pretty sure the electricity should be done before we start the inside renovation process?

A hair style that doesn't need a blow dryer is way more economical in the long run that having to build a system that will power a blow dryer. A/C is not always necessary for the dog, there are other ways and means. If you're living in FL for example year round then yes, a site with hookups is a vital necessity. If you're free to travel then not so much.

Electricity needs to be planned while you're doing the planning process which of course should preceed the actual renovation! Depending on the design of the build, the electrical can be roughed in as you go along although I managed to do all of mine after the build was 90% done - it was all planned out though so I knew I could get the wires where I wanted them. And had I been able to do the wiring earlier on, it would have saved a lot of gymnastics I went through :rolleyes:

Plan out the basic design of your interior so you can figure out where you're going to need electrical outlets of each type (12V, 120V and/or inverter 120V). I have all three but my system is apparently more complex than most people bother with.

For example, I have a 12V outlet near the kitchen counter as well as one that will be hooked up to the inverter when all is done. Under the kitchen counter I have another 12V outlet for the freezer unit. At the foot of the bed I put in 2 - 12V outlets so that I can plug in both a fan and a 12V TV on a wall mount. You can see where I'm going with this. Put the outlets where you're going to need them. Some here suggested that I simply run a couple of outlets and then use extension cords. I didn't like tripping over them in my S&B, I'm not going to live with them in the van - so I planned my locations as carefully as I planned the rest of the interior.

Most mobile devices consume no more than 20 watts to charge.

Most hair dryers are 1500 watts minimum.

Running a hair dryers off an inverter and battery bank is doable, but it requires lots of battery and lots of recharging sources.
1500 watts is a 125 amp load at 12vDC+ 20% more for inverter inefficiency.
A 125Ah battery could only power it for about 25 minutes total before 100% depletion of the poor abused battery.

An AC for the Dog is going to require a generator, or 600+ watts of solar and a super insulated RV, and park in direct sun.

First thing I would do is get AC power into the interior of the living space. Running power cords though open windows and doors is problematic in bad weather. The RV and Marine industry sell bulk head connectors just for this purpose. The one I use is from SmartPlug. Marinco also makes one. Next comes drilling the hole. You'll need to consider its placement regarding the rest of your electrical design and fit-out.

IMG_0245.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Once you have one mounted, you can add an AC outlet box or boxes to start with and go from there. For the moment, I run a DC Power Supply for my 12VDC LED power needs instead of a battery bank. What you see in temporary. It gives me the ability to plug and unplug power tools as needed.

IMG_0246.jpg
[/URL][/img]

b9b22017-99dc-4893-ad93-b5bc17722ebc.jpg
[/URL][/img]

What they said.  I am not needed here!   :D

Great advice already given.   :angel:

Wire is cheap just make sure you take photos and measurements marking all the wiring before you bury it.

what type of vehicle? as far as electricity,
1. add up your needs.
2. size your battery according to your needs. remember only half your amp hrs are available. better to only go 70%.
3. size your solar to your battery.
as others have stated AC and blow dryers need huge battery/solar system. try to do without high draw items, helps keep the cost down. trying to heat or cool with electricity is a huge power hog even if you are grid tied. highdesertranger