Best way to make coffee while boondocking?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this:

08b2d1548ef9df7679612aebb5761663.jpg

It has a light inside the glass when you plug it in. Probably 50s-60s. Atomic designs on the glass.

Some things you just don’t want to do without so you figure a way to make it happen. It’s my one little luxury.

I take showers and do dishes also ...

@johnnyb (post #6 above)

Wow that is funny! Had one of those about 40 (?) years ago. It worked well, but it was of course an AC plugin and not the cigarette lighter variety. I'm thinking maybe I should try it! It was a little bit hokey and kind of nasty-looking after many uses but it did the job and that's what counts. (Gotta have our coffee)

I bought a french press thingy and after finally figuring out how to use it (too many pieces, too complicated, the "easy cleanup" was NOT) I decided it wasn't worth it. Was about $25 on Amazon. I'll guess keep it around *shrug*

I may have missed the joke, but I think what Cammalu has there is a 1960s lava lamp.

@QuinReno that's pretty funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Well as a result of this thread I just now finally googled "What the hell is this so-called "pour-over coffee?" the internet keeps talking about. Turns out I've been doing it for 40 years with my Melitta cone and filters.

I did buy an Aerobie Aeropress prior to my trip. Have failed to figure out how to use it (too many parts, too confusing, and I certainly do not believe the "quick easy cleanup" line they sell you with), I started adding grounds to boiling water and filtering it. When I want the morning motivation/addiction, I'll deal with the hassle and am not picky about taste but do like it very strong.

Having given up on the Aeropress and having left my Melitta cone in my storage unit in CA, I finally went to WalMart here in northern New Mexico to buy another one. They sell the Melitta filters but not the cones. How nice. Of course, there were many other expensive options. Pass. Bought a cheap 2-cup "Mr.Coffee" for $8.88. Can run it off my 750W Ampeak inverter. Butane too expensive (I have a little "Jetboil" that eats that stuff up).

I find French press coffee to be quite good. The important thing is to get your timing right when doing it.

Thanks for the :)  QinReno! I fired up my 60’s still working lava lamp and think I may have found the coffee maker’s missing brother.

Attachments

• 15536364-2376-41DE-83BA-55763260331C.jpeg
    15536364-2376-41DE-83BA-55763260331C.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 7
My final solution for delicious, fast (<5 minutes) “coffee in the boondocks.” A Walmart clearance Coleman 3 burner propane stove ($80) which will slide out of the rear kitchen unit I’m building. I also bought a 3’ gas hose ($20) to replace the painfully awkward brass connector included with the unit. I went with the one pound fuel container (2 for $6 at Walmart). I’ll monitor my actual fuel cost prior to possibly moving to a 20lb tank.

Finally, a circa 1960s drip coffee pot which my sister gave me. Dump grinds and rinse easy cleanup.

In summary, $100 all in for what appears to be long lasting, large capacity boondock cooking solution. Thanks again for the excellent input. Lots of wisdom here on CRVL!

Attachments

• AB3E4247-DF2B-4596-9CFF-8D8431F9500A.jpeg
    AB3E4247-DF2B-4596-9CFF-8D8431F9500A.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 10
Pour-over will certainly work as long as you have access to hot water.

I have this Bodum coffee maker at home, but I haven't tried using it on the road. It has a permanent filter, but I use a paper filter as well to eliminate messy cleanup.

Boil water! Use what ever method you desire but get the water to 210f. A rolling boil. While waiting on the boil, put coffee beans in an old sock, I keep one for just this job. Use any heavy device that works as a hammer, I use my old wwii sailor-made-ashtray-piston from pre-1920 airplane, but a rock will work. hammer the beans to powder or at least small chunks. Take water off heat, put about one handful of beat coffee beans for each cup of boiled water. Into the pot with the water, you know that. Let set for a few minutes, the more the better. Dribble a bit of cold water (not a lot) onto the surface of the hot water to help clear the solids. Pour carefully into your cup and enjoy. Just let the pot sit and it all gets better with time. I did make this in a iron helmet during one war or another.

Since you guys and gals are becoming such connoisseurs, it might be worthwhile to check on how professional baristas do it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=baristas+way+to+make+coffee

Two things I remember from the past are: the water should not be quite boiling, and if dripping using a cone, you should only pour in enough water at a time to just cover the grounds, and let it slowly drip. It may take 2-minutes to do a full cup that way however. Since then, when using my cone at home, I have always used 3 paper filters to slow down the drip. Also when I was in Monterey CA last year, I had a cup of coffee at the little cafe just up the street from Starbucks, and he literally took 5-minutes to do the drip method, dribble,dribble,dribble... 
Here: https://www.oldmonterey.org/biz/plumes-coffee-house

However, as mentioned earlier, since I bought the coffee press from Walmart that's by far my favorite method. And I swear to this on the grave of my Mother's Favorite Coffee Bean.

Tbaldwin said:
Just got my Dodge Caravan minivan and am getting ready to hit the road. No house batteries or solar yet but would like to make a fresh pot of coffee for my daughter and I first thing each morning. Any suggestions? Thanks I’m advance!

Most recently I make Norwegian Egg Coffee. It takes no special equipment and is not at all bitter. Put your grounds in a pot, crack and egg, add a little cold water and mix. Add more water and boil 3-10 minutes. Turn off the heat and add some cold water. Let it sit until the coffee omelette sinks, then pour. The coffee looks like tea but it packs a strong kick. Nothing but a pot, spoon and mug to clean.

"RowanFae" ... I have a snap-spoon tea infuser that I use.
"rm.w/aview" ... ^ Great idea, maybe don't need a filter with coarse ground coffee. Now I gotta try it :)

Update ... Need a filter even with course ground coffee, just a little scissor action on a coffee filter.

Well I have two solutions for you.

1) Instant coffee, its pretty darn good, I like Café Bustelo. I'm serious, but most coffee people will scorn you, like the old folgers commercials. Just as with all coffees, different instants have varying levels of goodness.

2) Get a ton of solar and just use a normal electric coffee pot.

If I have a lot of time I enjoy grinding my beans and making drip coffee, but if I just want to get out the door and do stuff I'll make instant.

rm.w/aview said:
"RowanFae" ... I have a snap-spoon tea infuser that I use.
"rm.w/aview" ... ^ Great idea, maybe don't need a filter with coarse ground coffee. Now I gotta try it :)

Update ... Need a filter even with course ground coffee, just a little scissor action on a coffee filter.

Yes! You definitely need a filter lol

Jill, do you eat the coffee omelette or throw it away?  What is the benefit of this?

Itripper-I agree. If all else fails, Café Bustelo is a great instant coffee. I have a jar if all I want to do is to make it easy by just boiling some water. Otherwise, a Stanley french press. If I want just one cup, I use Hubby's Keurig in his van (he has 450ah and can run just about anything within reason). If he's around, that is.

My problem is, that I put a lot of milk in my coffee, so it's never hot enough. If I don't have access to a microwave (in Hubby's van), I put the milk and brewed coffee in a saucepan and heat it to an acceptable temp on the gas hob. No coffee in the morning is not an option.
Ted

Sometimes I'm really glad I like cold coffee and can tolerate a good instant. Much hassle averted. I only heat water for coffee during the winter.

I just finished my first camping trip and used a french press without a filter. It worked very well. I was impressed. I am thinking of buying an 8 cup press. Do they work as well as the one cup one.

I haven't seen this suggested.
This eliminates any electricity usage but requires stops in civilization every other day or so.  I watch a YouTuber who was gifted a MyJo.  Don't recall if he reviewed it.  Seems quite simple.

Place Kcup in Base, Fill with Hot water, Place complete Device over Mug on level stable surface, Push top Smoothly & Firmly to express hot water through Kcup into Mug.

To get the hot water - My suggestion stopping at gas stations or others (Fast Food spots) with coffee stations to fill a couple 24hr Hot Thermos King with scolding hot water from the little spigot to use in the morning.  BE SUPER CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

Presto MyJo KCup coffee pump - http://a.co/0UGh27I
P-101-4T.jpg

HIGH DURATION Thermos - http://a.co/2zosuU0 

These are general Amazon Links.

I use small wire strainer from Walmart $2
fits on top of cup well-
( removed plastic handle and zip tied )

fill with coffee grounds and pour 190F water threw coffee

used coffee come out of strainer easily -
no filter needed -

Quick easy - no mess - works good -