Best use of digital ammeter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In your diagram; The Red and Blue wires provide power to the meter. If you have 12 volts across them you are good, if the positive is on the right terminal. The green and yellow measure a micro drop in voltage across the shunt's resistance. If they are backward my meter reads negative values. Yours may not read anything. Also insure all negative returns go through the shunt. Not back to battery by any other circuit. This is the most common error I find when shunt systems don't function properly. The next is the meter is not set to proper parameters.

Thanks again guys! I took a look at the diagram again and wired it all up. It's working now, but my voltage has dropped from 12.32 to 12. I wonder why that is.

Anyway though it's all working. I tested my batteries today with my hydrometer and they are all at the 1200 mid range. I didn't test or charge after I had purchased them so WHOOPS my bad. Oh well, I'm getting on the road (officially starting van life! ) tomorrow so I'll flip my switch and give them a nice long charge.

Thanks for all yalls help! You really got me to where I am today!