Beneful lawsuit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
I was just reading about a new class action lawsuit against Purina Beneful.Seems several hundred pets have died from eating this sh... stuff.

Class-actions lawsuits only make money for the lawyers but at least it's punitive.

Oh my! My baby used to eat that. Her New Years resolution was to eat healthier, so now she's eating Blue. The cashier at We Luv Pets told me there's a lawsuit against Blue for misleading advertising. Claim is that Blue is not as healthy as they advertise.

I'm never surprised to see pets become ill from eating cheap food. You get what you pay for. Unfortunately, the money saved in cheap food goes toward vet bills.

Canine said:
I'm never surprised to see pets become ill from eating cheap food. You get what you pay for. Unfortunately, the money saved in cheap food goes toward vet bills.

A few years ago the big recall included some of the 'top' brands, like Iams.  Paying more does not guarantee safe products.

I've very seldom been without a dog or dogs in my life and I've always fed Ol Roy supplemented by human food.Or vice-versa depending on leftovers.At one time I had 9 Beagles for rabbit hunting.That can get expensive.

Years ago we spoke to the vet about the high priced food she sold. Her take was she had fed her dogs Purina because it was just as nutritional and her dogs had always been healthy. That was decades ago when they used real meats. Now you look at whats in the dog food and I think OMG, I wouldn't feed that to anything. it's all grains and concentrates , no real meat at all. Even the better dog foods have some rather interesting ingredients.

Here is a site that breaks down the dog foods and tells you what is in them. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Pet food is made from food "not suitable for human consumption". In fact, many pet food makers buy the dead pets from vets, once euthanized, and turn them into dog food.

So gross....

The pink slime that they were and may still be putting into hamburger started out as a way to use the wasted beef in animal feed. THAT eventually made it into our food. Big chain grocery stores to fast food was using it until the story broke a few years ago. Now beef is so expensive that pork tender loin is cheaper than ground beef so it doesn't matter anyways.

mockturtle said:
A few years ago the big recall included some of the 'top' brands, like Iams.  Paying more does not guarantee safe products.

The Science Diet you see at your vet isn't good, either. I find it weird how vets really like it, but it is fairly junky. Some of it even contains BHT.

There are tons of dog food out there that is marketed to be good, but is expensive and not much better than Purina. One or two recalls over a long period of time isn't necessarily a bad thing; everything has problems once in a while, but if the problem comes from knowingly using something that is clearly wrong like BHT or road kill, then that is a company to be avoided.

Kirkland's from Costco is fairly well made, yet is a good price. I'd have to look at the label again as the ingredients may have changed.

Pet food is always a contentious topic. My belief, backed up by some veterinarians, is that no dry food is good for your pet, especially cats. (I can only speak for cats at this time.) I only feed my cat canned cat food so he can get his water requirements - and I add one ounce of filtered water to that to be sure.

There is much more details but this post is not the place. :) I can say that I can afford appropriately made cat food from Life's Abundance based out of Jupiter, FL - and I have visited their corporate HQ (see link below). It contains ORGANIC chicken as the first ingredient, and good ingredients after with NO carbohydrates. With autoship every 3 months, it comes out to be about 1.00 per 3 ounce can. I use two cans per day. This is the cheapest way I know to feed my cat the best he can get. Plus, canned food should keep much better than bag food that gets moisture/mold/fungus growing on it. Just don't mistake it for your emergency food. :huh:

http://www.lifesabundance.com/Pets/...th=False&Category=CannedCatFood_v11(Pet_Base)

No, I am not a reseller, just an owner of a happy, healthy Bengal cat who jumps on my bed and meows in my face because he gets that excited for the food - I have not tried to taste myself. :p I am planning on making homemade cat food so that I know exactly what my pet is eating. And, once I have started van camping, I will be happy to share how I can make RAW pet food and keep it safe for my pet.

I DO understand that some people can only afford dry cat food. It is my belief the best you can do for them is to keep as much carb containing ingredients OUT of the ingredient list. Just my belief. :)