Being Polite Could Go A Long Way!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
We are sitting in an RV Park temporarily.  We had someone move in right next to us, plenty of other open spaces, 3 days ago.  She was out for 2 days during the day, and more than 12 hours last night.  This morning when she returned I said "Did you know your dog barks when you are gone, for 2 days we listened to it and last night off and on through the night"  She said "No, Ma'am, I did not." and went inside.  She didn't say she was sorry or even attempt an excuse.  As a owner of 2 larger senior dogs, I would be happy to help someone troubleshoot issues with their dog(s) if I were asked.  I will be talking to management about it today, had she have made more effort and seemed to care, that could have been avoided.  We take our dogs with us, which is a great inconvenience, but we respect the rules and others and don't want to make it harder for dog owners and end up with no parks taking dogs.

Or you might give her a day or two to rectify the problem before you go to management.

I had neighbors like that in apartments, always excuses, never action
In my last apartment, a 2 bdrm, I slept in the living room due to neighbors' dog, with the fan on the AC on continuous, to drown the barking out

It's called 'separation anxiety', and it can be prevented, and it can be dealt with, but to do so, the owners have to have a brain, patience, some intelligence, and make a point of finding out what they should do, and many people aren't willing to invest anything into making it happen.

I talked with the manager, when I said she was gone for more than 12 hours, I got "She was at work and the dog is a service dog and she takes it to work with her.", ah no, she leaves the dog in the RV. This dog has not been out of the RV in 4 days. We haven't actually seen it but guess it sounds smallish. Must use papers or a cat box. I know the manager visited with her. As I said, she offered no excuse or apology. Actually, what I got was a "How dare you call me out." look. I don't see how a service dog can be of a benefit if locked up in the RV most of the time alone. Something seems off. I think she'll take it to work with her, if not, their are places to board the dog until she has time to work with it.

Again, being polite can go a long way, the "How dare you call me out." look.....................

Does your phone have a record option?   :angel: I have been trying to get my neighbor to do something about his howling pit ever since they moved in. Now I just call the landlord.

Y'all just kill em with that sweet sticky smile and howdy do neighbor.   :D

That just makes grumpy people confused.

Just me, but it seems the management is on her side or doesnt want to deal with it....I would think that I would ask to be moved to another site. I know its the principle of the thing, but would solve the problem for you.....I do pity the dog though.

The woman and her poor dog have been relocated to the back of the park with orange cones on the adjoining RV sites. Had they suggested we move, we would have moved out of the park. I saw the dog, a Pomeranian, yet a loud yapper, when she was pulling up stakes! Sad still for the dog.

It's probably not a real service dog. I've never seen a high-string, yapping service dog.

I doubt a service dog, service dogs are well trained, and would't kick up a fuss like that
Also, a service dog would go to work with her. Oh well, at least you don't have to listen to it any more, poor pup

that's what I say, poor pup. the owner is an ass and who suffers? the pup. highdesertranger

I honestly do not mind the sound of barking dogs and actually enjoy it. Which is good because my neighbor two doors down has a dog door and two beagles who like to bark a lot. I figure it helps keep our block safe. Everyone on my block has barking dogs which worries me a little because my next door neighbor (and her two dogs) just had to move due to being foreclosed and I worry that someone who doesn't like dogs will move in and then be surrounded by barking dogs. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it but will work on practicing a polite way to deal with any complaints as I agree that politeness goes a long way.

It is really cruel to leave dogs alone for 12 hours. My neighbor with the beagle hires a dog walker to come in the middle of the day so I know her dogs are well taken care of. My dog doesn't have separation anxiety, thank goodness. But I would never leave her for 12 hours! As it is, I work from home 1-3 days a week and take her to work with me a lot too. Why get a dog if you don't want to be with it? I have never understood that. The saddest thing I have ever seen are people who chain their dogs up in the backyard and never even let them in the house.

Snow Gypsy said:
...  I don't see how a service dog can be of a benefit if locked up in the RV most of the time alone.  Something seems off. 

Actually, I do not need my service do[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]g to be with me all the time as he's for emotional support with my Asper[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ger's; ... still take him with me most places, and notice when he's not, but the stress of dealin[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]g with i[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]gnorant [/font]people that think the only service animals are for the blind or hearin[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]g impaired instead of also for emotional/mental difficulties is more than the "normal" stresses I deal with if I do/[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]go somewhere quickly without him by my side (thou[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]gh I do occasionally "shut down" temporarily).[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

I had a couple of hours between appointments at the VA Wednesday and sat in the cafeteria area. Service dogs of every size and type. I did not hear one bark out of the twenty or so I saw. My second appt. was my shrink and the Mental Health waiting room had 7 dogs in there. More power to them if they help.

Rob

slynne said:
I honestly do not mind the sound of barking dogs and actually enjoy it. 

Why get a dog if you don't want to be with it? I have never understood that. The saddest thing I have ever seen are people who chain their dogs up in the backyard and never even let them in the house.

I don't mind barking dogs if they bark for a few minutes here and there, it's when they bark incessantly for hours on end.  

I don't get people that get dogs and leave them chained out or locked inside all day either.  Seems they'd be a lot happier with out a dog and the dog would be happier with a caring and responsible owner.  

This is where my dog spends most his time if we're not out and about.  Sitting on the recliner with me.  He's with me pretty close to 100% of the time.  About the only time he's not with me is when I have to leave him in the truck going into a store or restaurant.  I bring him into any stores that allow it.  Everybody at the local Lowes loves him.

Attachments

• 20170215_163913.jpg
    20170215_163913.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170224_225632.jpg
    20170224_225632.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 12
Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
Actually, I do not need my service do[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]g to be with me all the time as he's for emotional support with my Asper[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ger's; ... still take him with me most places, and notice when he's not, but the stress of dealin[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]g with i[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]gnorant [/font]people that think the only service animals are for the blind or hearin[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]g impaired instead of also for emotional/mental difficulties is more than the "normal" stresses I deal with if I do/[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]go somewhere quickly without him by my side (thou[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]gh I do occasionally "shut down" temporarily).[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

I'm sorry but I just have to comment.  Too many people confuse the difference between service/assistance dogs and emotional support dogs and therapy dogs.  Period.
While Emotional Support Animals or Comfort Animals are often used as part of a medical treatment plan as therapy animals, they are not considered service animals under the ADA. These support animals provide companionship, relieve loneliness, and sometimes help with depression, anxiety, and certain phobias, but do not have special training to perform tasks that assist people with disabilities. Even though some states have laws defining therapy animals, these animals are not limited to working with people with disabilities and therefore are not covered by federal laws protecting the use of service animals.  Therapy animals provide people with therapeutic contact, usually in a clinical setting, to improve their physical, social, emotional, and/or cognitive functioning.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

There are service dogs for PTSD. (And there are no more "service animals" only service DOGS (with some weird exception for some of that tiny horse...I think for organizations to get tax benefits for assisting disabled in ???? ).

ESAs are being accepted in many places even though they do not have to accept them, even airlines (but it has to fit under the seat in front of you in containment.) I think this is good as long as people don't abuse it.

A local "news" program is having a docu tomorrow night (Mon) on abuse of service dog laws not sure I want to watch.

Bottomline is that she told management it was a service dog and would be going to work with her. The dog went nowhere, but stayed home and barked. This is a new RVer from what I can tell. She has a lot to learn. She was lucky to be allowed to stay in the park. There are rules and most follow them and expect the same from others.

I would concerned being gone 12 hours+, since many parks have sketchy power situations in the summer heat and this park has no shade. We won't be here for that!

DrJean said:
There are service dogs for PTSD.  (And there are no more "service animals"  only service DOGS  (with some weird exception for some of that tiny horse...I think for organizations to get tax benefits for assisting disabled in ???? ).  

ESAs are being accepted in many places even though they do not have to accept them, even airlines (but it has to fit under the seat in front of you in containment.)  I think this is good as long as  people don't abuse it.

The miniature horses are not weird for Muslims and others who believe dogs to be unclean, and why an exception was made for them.

Dogs are NOT required to be under the seat "in containment" because it can't assist you when caged.  Most service animals are too big to fit under a seat.  They are to be at your feet with pretty much all of the airlines although some allow them to be on your lap, but airlines will try to get you the bulkhead or a window seat to prevent your dog from being stepped on.

References:

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.pdf

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/t...services/specialservices-support-animals.aspx
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/special-assistance/service-animals.jsp
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/specialneeds/disabilities/assistance_animals.aspx

Now, one I have an issue with is Frontier as they require some kind of documentation, vesting and/or verbal assurance.  It's this part that troubles me:

Identification of a service animal, including one or more of the following, is required:

If more than verbal assurance is required then a self-trainer can be denied a flight.  I haven't heard of it happening but you know about doors being left open...

https://www.flyfrontier.com/travel-information/special-services/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts