Birds on the road..... My parrot love to go for car rides, but we're not so crazy as to take her out with us camping...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
My parrot has done just a bit of traveling with us and she loves being in the car. Most of her 'traveling' now is going about 3+ hours to son's house when we go for anymore then 3 days. She used to be with me 6-7 hours when we traveled back and forth from Or. coast to north of Seattle. She scared the crap out of anyone who walked just a bit too close to the car at a rest area and she screams at trucks when they pass. We get a lot of double takes if traffic ever slows down on I-5.
We just did a trip and she talked nonstop until she got to sons house this time. I think she was excited to go there.
Does anyone else have a crazy pet they travel with? I would take her more but her cage/home is to big and she needs it to feel comfy..

Maybe consider bird jesses instead of a cage? People who have trained hawks use them. (They're sort of like leashes for birds.)

In my camping travels I have met 3 people traveling with birds. One of them did go outside with it on his shoulder. It had its feathers on it's wings clipped so that it could not fly up into trees or for a very long distance.

What you decide to do regarding the safety of your pet is of course up to you. But wing clipping is one of the available options.

In my camping travels I have met 3 people traveling with birds. One of them did go outside with it on his shoulder. It had its feathers on it's wings clipped so that it could not fly up into trees or for a very long distance.

What you decide to do regarding the safety of your pet is of course up to you. But wing clipping is one of the available options.
We used to keep her wings clipped, but then she had to stay in her cage when the dogs were inside .....So then we let her wings be fully feathered and she could get away from the dogs. Now she is at the end of her life span so she rarely tries to fly. Still keep her and what ever dogs are around separated but at least with her wing feathers in tact she has a better chance.... She still spends most of her time in her cage even when the door is open she likes her space. We had a neighbor that raised big parrots and most of them stayed close when let out but then they lost a few to the local eagles and that was the end of their freedom. Cindy has an outdoor cage and she likes that on nice days... But now she is getting to just want to hang out on and around her indoor cage she is getting old

You said in your title: "My parrot love to go for car rides, but we're not so crazy as to take her out with us camping..."
Well, here's the story of a much-loved parrot who actually did VanLife to the fullest.

But yeah, accidents can happen. One night, his cage was left open, and he decided to fly over to sleep with his owner who loved him so deeply. But she was asleep and didn't know. That night, while they were both deep asleep, cuddled side-by-side, she rolled over....

Last edited:
I have seen hikers and campers using what looks like the same kind of backpack I have for my rabbit.

It is designed for cats and recommended by Jackson Galaxy. I think it is called the Fat Cat backpack.

Anyway, it is a thing. My cat never got to use it because my bunny is too big. The cat rides on top.

Yes, I hike with two Chihuahua mixes, a cat, and a bunny. We look strange, but only nice people want to talk to us.

Your best friend might well outlive you. It is your responsibility to keep her safe, of course, but it is also your responsibility to keep her happy.

She loves you. Of course she wants to be with you.

I like the idea of jesses, but buying a backpack is easier and quicker than geeking out on falconry right now.

Hth and if you blog, can you pm me the link?