Bed Options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryann1976

Reaction score
Hello there,
I did a search on my question and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So here goes..

I've seen a number of prius conversions and discussions. I see two types of bed setups (basically:

1. Foam plus a cut/custom mattress plus sleeping bag 
or 
2. Inflatable mattress plus sleeping back

Are there pros/cons to each of these? I'm wondering if the choice is just about individual comfort or if it's due to something else (like moisture, price, hassle)?

Thanks in advance!
Mary Ann

I'm not in a Prius, but criteria affecting my choice were driven, in part, by comfort, durability and insulation. While inflatable mattresses had a real space saving bonus, I found them cold and uncomfortable. Very often they would leak, and I'd be on the ground in the morning. Foam mattresses had none of those failings, but take up a lot of space. It came down to priority for me, in the end. Sleep and comfort or space for more stuff. I'm still working on that priority list.

If trying an inflatable, always put a closed cell foam sleeping pad under the inflatable to insulate and protect the inflatable bottom. Those are cheap, less than 20 bucks usually.

Not in a Prius either but I believe it depends on your situation. Are you living in the Prius full time or is this a long weekend rig? Full time I'd make a permanent bed with the most comfortable memory foam mattress I could find since you won't be taking it out and a good night sleep is paramount in having a good life. Long weekend rig and you'll be cleaning it out for your normal everyday use when you get home so something simple and easy to tote like an air mattress or foam sleeping pad you can roll up would be my choice. Gonna have a lot of moisture from overnight sleeping in a vehicle that small anyway so I'd also get one of those USB powered dehumidifier units.

Motrukdriver said:
Not in a Prius either but I believe it depends on your situation.  Are you living in the Prius full time or is this a long weekend rig?  Full time I'd make a permanent bed with the most comfortable memory foam mattress I could find since you won't be taking it out and a good night sleep is paramount in having a good life.  Long weekend rig and you'll be cleaning it out for your normal everyday use when you get home so something simple and easy to tote like an air mattress or foam sleeping pad you can roll up would be my choice.  Gonna have a lot of moisture from overnight sleeping in a vehicle that small anyway so I'd also get one of those USB powered dehumidifier units.

Thanks! It will be a weekend gig so I'm leaning toward a sleeping pad and bag. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Maryann,

I am in a Prius full time; and was part-time for about 7 years as well.

Keep in mind there are a couple of types of air mattresses. One has nothing but air inside of it. I would avoid this type because it's difficult to stay warm when sleeping on these, and they are typically easy to get to leak. I have been using the other type of air mattress, with foam inside of it, for at least 5 years, no leaks, and keeps me warm. These are made for the backpacker and are designed to insulate from below; in fact, they even have R ratings. These self-inflate.

The one I use is an REI brand. It's 3.5" thick, 24" wide, and 76" long. It fits perfectly behind my front passenger's seat. Extremely comfortable! More comfortable than my memory foam mattress when I was in a sticks-and-bricks. I know that Bob Wells uses the same type of mattress; it's a ThermaRest brand, called Mondo King, 4" thick.

I started with a foam mattress in 2009, but prefer my REI air mattress (with the foam inside).

Enjoy your weekend gigs!

Suanne

Suanne said:
I know that Bob Wells uses the same type of mattress; it's a ThermaRest brand, called Mondo King, 4" thick.  

Awesome! Thanks! I thought there were two types. You confirmed it. I'm going to try this.

I love your website, BTW.   :)

maryann1976 said:
Hello there,
I did a search on my question and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So here goes..

I've seen a number of prius conversions and discussions. I see two types of bed setups (basically:

1. Foam plus a cut/custom mattress plus sleeping bag 
or 
2. Inflatable mattress plus sleeping back

Are there pros/cons to each of these? I'm wondering if the choice is just about individual comfort or if it's due to something else (like moisture, price, hassle)?

Thanks in advance!
Mary Ann

Its all about the REI Co-op Camp bed 3.5.  Awesome!!