Battery: What is this?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
Last night's battery-surfing web session left me with a couple items I couldn't make sense of and left for a closer look this morning. One of the companies is Victron, and best I can tell it seems to be a good company. They have a line of batteries which claim to be 12v  910Ah for under $500. http://www.invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=263_264&products_id=1076

Here is the data sheet on that line:  http://www.invertersupply.com/media/data/Datasheet-OPzS-batteries-EN.pdf

So what am I looking at here please?

On the other end is Surrette Rolls batteries I found. They also have huge Ah ratings, but also have a weight and price that make more sense to my basic grasp of how things work... 
http://products.bigfrogmountain.com...V-Deep-Cycle-Flooded-Solar-Battery-p-261.html

Any comment on Surrette Rolls? Seems to focus solar more than Trojan or Crown, but maybe that's just the marketing schtick.

Thanks   :)

You're looking at batteries that were designed for off-grid cabins for use with solar, wind turbines, and/or micro-hydro.

The thing is, the engineers who designed these expected them to sit in one place once they are installed.  They are not necessarily rugged enough internally to take being bounced around in a vehicle without being damaged.  I would personally stay well away from them for that reason.

Regards
John

Before making a decision make sure you do the math on ah capacity at an apples to apples rate. The ones you've linked show ratings at other than the 20hr marker. Most comparisons are based on that number so looking at a 100hr number or a 10hr number will be misleading.
Rolls Surrette batteries are highly regarded. I don't know about the Victron. The pdf for the Victron stated tubular plates. Does that mean they are hollow?
I know a full timing couple with a huge 5th wheel using the Surrettes and they are quite happy with them but thier experience is not long term. They use L16's.

The first set of batteries are intended to be run in series like the Surrettes except they are 2 volt batteries and you need 6 of them. An impressive 12v bank but a lot of weight and space plus other things to consider.

The Surrettes will have close to the same weight for a given Ah but come in a different shape. I thought a pair would be great for my trailer until I saw how much tongue weight they added.

The Surrettes are top notch but unless you have more vertical room that floor space, four Sams club 6v's would offer the same Ah, around the same weight for less money. Those can last a long time taken care of right.

Just from reading the linked info:
2 (TWO) Volts not 12.
910 Ah at 120 hr rate / 640 Ah at 10 hr rate....so 20 hr rate (most common rate) probably would be between 640 and 700.

So, 6 of these would give 12 volts at under 700 Ah and weigh 660 pounds, cost $3000...and may not hold up physically in a mobile application.

The above info is good (which I've just basically repeated)....get some Sam's Club 6 volts and learn the ins and outs of battery care and charging on them. When they wear out, upgrade to Trojan or Crown and you'll be good.