• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Rour 12 volt, deep cycle, lead "rack" batteries for sale in the Phoenix, AZ area

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggles

Reaction score
Ok, so I just got an ex-FBI surveillance van a couple weeks ago, and they had FOUR HUGE 12-volt deep cycle batteries.

I took them out (well, someone took them out for me) and I'm selling them because:
1. I am 5'2'' and I can't lift them without a lot of help.
2. 300 amp hours is way more than I need. (That's what the inverter said -- 300 amp hours)
3. The electrical system in the van was way too complex for me to figure out. I am going to just get a small renegy battery, and maybe a 100 watt solar panel.

The batteries are huge...75 pounds each. You will need 2 strong people to carry them, because my dad is 82 and can't lift them, and I'm a 5'2' female and can't help you lift them very far.(But we do have a dolly you can use to move them from the garage to your vehicle.

They look exactly like these 105AH batteries by NorthStar, except they are not blue and white. They are all white, and they do not have a NorthStar branding on them, so I don't think they are made by NorthStar. I think they must have been made by a government contractor, since they were in a government vehicle.

https://www.invertersupply.com/inde...QktcQJQCUctcafa9ERuNZmyHlrD0DF5hoC3-gQAvD_BwE

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I don't know how old they are, but when we got them out of the van, we measured the charge with a voltmeter, and one of them had 9.5 volts, another had 8.4, another had 8.2 volts, and another had 8.1 volts[/font]

They were wired in series, one on top of each other, before I took them out.  Here's a video of what they look like when they were wired together. (I made it before someone helped me figure out what kind of batteries they are.)

The batteries are $400 to 500 to begin with (depending on which website you buy them from...). I'm honestly not sure what I should sell them for.....so make me an offer. :)

I can only show them one of my days off (on a Sunday or Monday), since I live 20 minutes away from my parents and I'll have to be there.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but those batteries are done. they are only worth scrap or a core charge for a new battery. highdesertranger

Really? is it too low of a charge? Because the Northstar ones are made to be used fo 12 years, and to be charged down to 50%.

If they are not good anymore, thanks for letting me know. But can you tell me how you know? Because the guy who helped me remove them said he thought they'd still be good, and he works with electronics all day.

Ok, never mind, everyone. High Desert Ranger says they're no good anymore. So I guess I'll go with his expertise.

Ah...someone gave me a battery chart for a 12 volt battery....they are, indeed, definitely dead.

So ignore this post.

I'm running an old battery that a friend gave me in my truck. It has been accidentally discharged way below yours. I was able to charge it enough to start and drive to buy a new battery which I threw in the back. That has been months ago and I never swapped the batteries. At first it wouldn't stay over 11volts at rest but slowly inched it's way to normal. Maybe it was magic.

Do you have a charger? If so it won't hurt to try to charge one to see what happens. If it seems to take a charge take it to a auto parts place where they can test it under a load. I cant imagine anyone paying over scrap prices as they are now.

Guy

Magic does happen. I’ve had lots of batteries and occasionally one comes back. I put the AGM battery on charge and if it gets to a point it won’t take a full charge after a few days I put another AGM battery that is a 1/2 volt or so lower in charge in parallel with it to fool my charger to continue charging. They don’t always recover completely but some have done what I needed at little or no cost for several years. All of my vehicles have batteries someone has thrown away although most were above 10 volts a few were at much less. It is worth a try.

Yes, they are probably shot. But it wouldn't hurt to try to revive them. Miracles do happen!

Everyone must have just watched "It's a Wonderful Life" LOL.

yeah I shouldn't have been so cut and dry. strange things do occasionally happen. however I can say if it was me and voltage did come back I wouldn't trust them. also I wouldn't sell them as that wouldn't be right I just can't do stuff like that. so what's the point. I should have said all that to begin with but I didn't think I had to.

highdesertranger

^ Every thing you said was absolutely correct. I have been ask to sell some of these batteries and I won’t. I usually give them away if I have extra or tell people where they can get them. Most won’t even bother as it takes trying several before you get lucky, sort of like winning the lottery. Even then I usually only mess with the old Optima batteries as they were expensive and long lasting originally. If I saw those on the discarded battery pallet I would sure give them a try though.

It might be possible to revive the batteries (to some degree) with an 'old school' manual charger...the kind with no smarts, just voltage and amperage it shoves into the battery no matter what...(well more or less)...

I've done this with AGMs several times.

The problem is that IF those batteries are severely sulphated and have been that way for months or years, and especially if they were frozen while discharged, they are essentially a clump of corroded and sulphated and deformed lead plates and might not have any life left in them...we just don't know until someone tries. 

An obvious sign that they are 'zombies' is if the sides are visibly bulging outward. If so, that means they are among the 'walking dead'. (or walking LEAD, pardon the pun!)

In that case, they might be worth more as core value if you were to purchase new lead acid batteries.