battery bank in truck cab?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathead

Reaction score
Would it be okay to locate a battery bank for solar in the cab of a truck (crew or extended cab location)?
If they they are secure and well insulated from cold, is there a reason not to put them there?
I'm thinking of a future truck camper.

Depends on the type of battery you plan to use. AGM batteries would be OK in a closed space, but if they need to be vented, like lead-acid batteries, you'd want to make sure the gases they produce didn't build up inside the cab where you sit.

BigT said:
Depends on the type of battery you plan to use.  AGM batteries would be OK in a closed space, but if they need to be vented, like lead-acid batteries, you'd want to make sure the gases they produce didn't build up inside the cab where you sit.

AGM batteries are Lead acid batteries, but do not offgass unless overcharged. Which requires a rather high amp charging source whose voltage regulator is seeking too high a voltage.  Usually the opposite occurs, too little amperage at too little voltage.  Many Variables with this.  no definitive answer.

Flooded/wet batteries/ sloshing batteries are the standard least expensive capped battery which needs venting and needs to remain upright.

Consider the option of putting the batteries below the floor.

tjm-battery-tray2.jpg

I've got my AGM battery on something similar under my Van, but I used to have2 flooded/wet batteries there for 230AH house battery capacity. and have an access hatch from above

Know any welders?

Can you fit an 11 inch tall battery without it hanging too low underneath?  Flooded 6v golf cart batteries are the best deep cycle battery bang for the buck, but they are tall, and need occasional watering, more so as they age as do all wet/flooded batteries.

Really, consider what happens if the vehicle were to flip over violently with a large heavy AGM battery inside the passenger compartment.  Unless seriously restrained It could turn the occupants into human mush.   If a flooded/wet battery, Add liquid sulfuric  acid into a rollover worst case scenario.

Flooded batteries offgass when charging.  the amount they offgass depends on Several factors.  they need to offgass to reach 100% state of charge in a reasonable timespan.  Lead acid batteries need to be brought upto full charge as soon as possible after any depletion, as often as possible whenever depleted, for best battery longevity, but one can certainly shoot for a C rather than an A+.

There is a big difference in  battery longevity when a battery only gets 90% charged compared to one which gets 100% charged.

80% charged to 100% charged, takes about 4 hours NO MATTER how powerful  the charging source might be, and even if the chromed 130 alternator was recently polished.

So If your only charging source is to be the alternator, well keep the 4 hours of driving in mind when you choose how much you decide to spend on batteries and how healthy you expect to be able to keep them, and for how long. The vehicles voltage regulator plays a huge part in this 4 hour figure too. 4 hours is under ideal voltages. Few. vehicles hold ideal charging voltages required for a deeply cycled battery

Lead acid batteries can become petulant stubborn things when cycled without ever reaching full charge.  This is a guarantee, the only variable is when, and how badly Murphy's law can stick it to you when the battery fails to meet your capacity needs.

Cathead, what type of truck are we talking? many trucks have a location under the hood for a second battery. trucks that were ordered with a slide in camper package came with 2 batteries. a starter battery and a house battery. most diesels come with 2 batteries, but both are starter batteries. highdesertranger

I put a pair of flooded wet cell batteries on the floor boards and behind the seat of my F150 supercab without any problem. Had no issues with them not being vented.
Bob

The plan is for AGM batteries. They would be secured, so as not to take flight in an accident.
Not sure on the exact truck yet, it would be a one ton. Probably not diesel.
There wouldn’t be any issue with wiring ? I’m guessing. They would be used for camper use. I’d rather have some more camper storage by moving the batteries to cab and have monitor and controller in camper.

if you don't have a truck yet why don't you get a camper special liked I talked about? they have a place for a second battery under the hood. highdesertranger

highdesertranger, I'm thinking of possibly having 4 batteries.

The further the distance, the bigger the wire. Copper is more than silver sometimes.

Thanks for your comments everyone.
highdesertranger, I'm not sure I understand where all four of your batteries are.
Looks like you have one house battery and one starter battery under the hood, then where are the other three house batteries?

Cathead I was waiting for that question. you are correct I have one starting battery and one auxiliary battery under the hood. then my house batteries(2) are in a side box of my service bed. now if you don't have a service bed I would think about one of the frame mounts like Stern posted. highdesertranger

I see, dangling the string so this cathead will follow!
So, you have a truck camper on a service bed? If so, no problems with fit and tie down?

not really I just have a sleeper,  that I have only used a couple of times.  most of the time I sleep outside.  there are campers that fit service beds.  there used to be a manufacturer close to me but they went  under.  I don't want a camper because the I would loose my rack.  here's a couple of pics so you can see what I am talking about.

003.JPG

004.JPG

highdesertranger

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    930.9 KB
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1,021.2 KB