Bare Minimum Level of Work Needed to Make a Van Liveable

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm going to commence making plans to transition to van life, and I first want to figure out the bare minimum level of work required for me to get a vehicle to a point that I can stay in it. Once I have the vehicle in hand, it will take me about three or four months to save up the money I need to buy the supplies necessary to convert it into something comfortable, and this process will move along much more quickly if I can cancel my lease with my landlord, suffer for several months, and put the money towards my van that I would otherwise spend on rent. Let's say I get a work van. I have a $700.00 sleeping bag that will keep me plenty warm at night, and that along with a cheap air mattress will allow me to get a good night's sleep. I can then rig up some blankets to provide myself with a basic level of stealth, shower at the gym, eat non-perishables, and get used to sitting around at the laundromat. It'll be a character building experience!

Is there any other work that I would have to do on the van before I could move in? One potential issue that comes to mind is condensation. I predict that this rough stretch will take place during the cold winter months, so that could be an issue.

I have a minivan that took very little to get started.  I took out the second and third row seats.  I got 4 huge Rubbrrmaid tubs, a 2 burner camp stove, a plastic book shelf section, an ice chest, a foam pad for a mattress.  For water storage I got a couple of recycle bins and a bunch of 2 liter bottles and several 1 gallon jugs.  For a sink, drain, grey tank I got a Harbor Freight oil change container.  
https://m.harborfreight.com/waste-oil-storage-container-97608.html
I got a 1 gallon bug sprayer.  

In the beginning I used the van alternator and battery to charge my phone and power my electric shaver.  Later I upgraded the starter battery to deep cycle.  

I used corrugated cardboard for window covers.  Condensation isn't too bad unless you burn propane without open windows.  

There are people who move into a car with only an hour to get out of the house.  If you decide you need a year and $10,000 that's what it will take.  A weekend and $500 to get going should cause no panic or hardship.  Make a list of what you need and a separate list of wants.  Deal with the first list first.

All you really "need" is a good sleeping bag and a camping stove for cooking. Everything else is a luxury you can add later. And of course some people go fulltime with not much more than that.

The fancy builds you see on YouTube with beds, paneled insulated walls, cabinets, and kitchen counters are nice and all, but they are not absolutely necessary.

Almost 50 years ago in Tucson in the winter while in service I got offered off base housing allowance which was not near enough to cover rent as it doubled in winter there. It was a cold year and one of the few we got snow. I bought a 8' x 12' tent, a wooden picnic table kit, a round kerosine heater, an army cot, a tea pot and cast iron skillet that could sit on top the heater and a small cooler. I already had a good sleeping bag, hand axe, spork and a Jeep. I bought a health club membership with a locker. I worked nine 30 hour shifts a month so I basically drove 450 miles a month to base. The health club, laundry and stores were on the way. After a month I saved enough for a really good pair of hiking boots that lasted 20 years with lots of resoles. I got a steak on the way to camp, cut it in half so I could have steak and eggs the next morning, the cooler was mainly for that and fruit that I restocked twice a week. Found a spot on BLM land with a ranger friend with a water fall that next summer made a great shower which they allowed me to stay 6 months if I did sort of an unoffical fire watch. It doesn't take much stuff but does take changing your idea of what you "think" you need.

It sounds like you have the bare minimums (a place to sleep) already. I must ask, why sitting around a laundromat? Your local libraries, community centers, and even city parks will be much more entertaining. Heck, get out for a hike or two as well. Just  sitting around will drive you crazy and may change your mind on van-living. You did not mention where you are located, but you can always look into becoming a member of a local fraternal organization (Moose, Elks, Eagles, etc). Some will even allow overnight camping in their parking lots for members which can save you some serious headaches with knocks on your in the middle of the night.

There are a few more little things inside your can that are easy to resolve and not very expensive; 
- A place to pee in the middle of the night can usually be handled with an appropriate sized bottle or two
- A form of light while in the van during the night: LED flashlight or head-light will do just fine. 100 lumens will do, dimming possible is ideal.
- Some jugs of water to survive 1 or 2 days at a time: simple 1-gallon jugs from your local store will do
- A source of power for your electronics. A small battery pack will allow you to keep your devices charged for the night and then can go into the library with you to be recharged the next day.
- A small butane stove will help you get some warm drink in you on those cold mornings. It could make or break your happiness that day
- If you have a stove, you will need some basic water-heating utensils (bug, kettle, spoon, etc) all of which can easily be found in a second hand store.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

There should be a seminar on minimalist setup for van life. Just to get people started without having to spend a lot of money and weeks getting ready to go.

throw your camping gear in and go. that's your bare minimum. highdesertranger

Awesome Street said:
 . . . I first want to figure out the bare minimum level of work required for me to get a vehicle to a point that I can stay in it.
. . .  I have a $700.00 sleeping bag that will keep me plenty warm at night, and that along with a cheap air mattress will allow me to get a good night's sleep.
 . . .I predict that this rough stretch will take place during the cold winter months, so that could be an issue.

What is minimum is very personal: I had a girl friend that if it didn't have a bathroom it wasn't livable.  Whereas I lived out of the back of a pickup from October to December in Minnesota with just backpacking gear.

You didn't say what 'cold winter months' means but if it is below freezing condensation will be a problem you are going to have to deal with.  A couple of issues:
  • If your sleeping bag is down plan on putting it in a dryer about once a week.  If synthetic leave it open during the day to dry out.
  • You will need better insulation under you than a 'cheap air mattress'.  The sleeping bag will compress and not keep you warm from the bottom.  A foam pad or a couple of blankets thrown over the air mattress will work.  I used a couple of those blue closed cell foam backpacking ground pads (~1" total thickness) in the truck.

The bare minimum I've done van dwelling is a K-Mart throw rug over the vans metal floor. It was about as luxurious as sitting on cold concrete.. But it got the job done.

steamjam1 said:
The bare minimum I've done van dwelling is a K-Mart throw rug over the vans metal floor. It was about as luxurious as sitting on cold concrete.. But it got the job done.
That's a little too much bare. And a lot of people don't even have camping gear nor camping experience. Literally, babes in the woods. That's why I suggested a seminar on going minimalist, but something realistic. Or possibly a webpage on it on this website. "Get Started with the Bare Essentials".

Spaceman Spiff said:
You didn't say what 'cold winter months' means but if it is below freezing condensation will be a problem you are going to have to deal with.
Fortunately I live in Seattle so, while it won't be comfortable, it'll be uncommon that the temperature falls below freezing. Winter is the rainy season out here. There may be a few days when it snows, which will suck, but I'll deal.

lenny flank said:
All you really "need" is a good sleeping bag and a camping stove for cooking. Everything else is a luxury you can add later. And of course some people go fulltime with not much more than that.

The fancy builds you see on YouTube with beds, paneled insulated walls, cabinets, and kitchen counters are nice and all, but they are not absolutely necessary.

Lenny said it all... I'd add an air mattress because I sleep way better like that & I can find the $25 for the mattress & pump. 

I might get some blankets from the goodwill and an LED headlamp for light at night. I did also bring a fold up lawn chair & a wooden TV tray because I can always use a table.

Alas, I've tried several different brands of air mattress--and never found one that didn't pop a leak after a couple months.

I prefer foam pad camping mattresses--they never leak. ;)

If you can get a good foam mattress for less than $20 to meet the "bare minimum level needed" go for it! I put a blanket I got from the Goodwill under it and slept really well.

lenny flank said:
Alas, I've tried several different brands of air mattress--and never found one that didn't pop a leak after a couple months.

I prefer foam pad camping mattresses--they never leak.  ;)

Your "bare minimum" is different from mine... 

I later bought a futon mattress from Ikea that worked really well but it did take more than the $20 the air mattress did.

bare minimun is foam insulation. Without  insulation you will be suffering in the heat or cold. You can buy alot of foam insulation for 100 dollars, a hot gluegun (to install it) is only 20 dollars at harbor freight. You can use a 2 dollar box cutter to cut it. It will improve your comfort level tremendously. Worst case scenario, you can use gorilla duct tape to install it, just to get underway.

If I had to buy another van, foam insulation is the first thing I would do, also remove all your rear seats if you have any, they get in the way. And build a bulkhead between driver area and rear of van. Nothing fancy, you can build it out of foam insulation. Since you live in a cold area, you need to put foam over all the rear windows, also you need to put foam by the rear and side doors. I use removable foam inserts. Too much outside air comes in through those areas. It need to be airtight as possible, maybe a small roof vent if you use a heater. I also use the foam insulation on the floor. 

rtech foam from home depot 4x8 foot 1/2 inch thick cost 8 dollar
4x8 rtech.jpg

inside of my van, i am very comfortable in the heat of the summer or cold of winter. The entire back end of van is covered in rtech foam.
a divider door a.jpg

Attachments

• 4x8 rtech.jpg
    4x8 rtech.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 5
  • a divider door a.jpg
    a divider door a.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 21
jonyjoe303 said:
bare minimun is foam insulation. 

Again, your "bare minimum" is different from mine.   The insulation could be put in later...

inside the ford van empty fixed.jpg
The floor with insulation under it & my chair. Plenty of room for the air mattress! 

I did in fact do more than the bare minimum & started with the floor. After I pulled all the seats out.  I had the time, the space & the money to do it.

For me it's been a matter of doing this stuff when I had the cash for it... a little at a time does work!

I did finally get the bed off the floor.  I built a raised frame, then went to Lowes where I got the plywood cut to the size I needed & I screwed in in place while I was in the parking lot.  
Then I headed toward Quartzsite!

Attachments

• inside the ford van empty fixed.jpg
    inside the ford van empty fixed.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 14
Insulation works by slowing the transfer of heat.

It won't help much in a vehicle unless you are actively cooling or heating the air inside. If you are not, the temps inside and out will equalize. Insulation will slow that process a bit, but not stop it.

I have no insulation at all. In winter, my sleeping bag keeps me nice and toasty, and in summer I avoid being in the hot van by...not being in the hot van (I spend the whole day somewhere else, and don't go back to the van till evening when it's cooled off).

PS--everyone's definition of "bare minimum" is different. It ranges from "a half-million-dollar Class C with all the comforts of home" to "a rolled-up blanket in the back of a used Chevy van".

For me, bare minimum will be wholly determined by timing. I can dream about which type of van I'd like to get and how to build it out. That's how I'm planning things to be, which means I will be saving like a madman to make it happen. However, when the time comes, if need be, I'm also open to buying the best vehicle that comes available and just hitting the road, building it as I go.

Aim for the best but also plan for the worst.