bannock recipes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Katie...you bet.....<br><br>I use a stone ground whole wheat flour but you can use whatever you want. <br>1 cup of flour<br>1 tsp of baking powder&nbsp; (I use Rumford or any that has no aluminum)<br>1/4 tsp salt<br><br>Mix dry ....add cold water to make a stiff dough.<br><br>I make into burger size patties about 1/2 inch thick.<br><br>cook over med low heat...cast iron works nice but i have not been carrying any.....I may start to carry&nbsp; a small cast iron skillet though in place of my no stick.<br><br>Some folks make a rope of the dough and wrap it around a stick...making sure it isn't creosote bush..;^O&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; and cook it over a wood fire.<br><br>essentially anything you come up with along those lines can be called bannock.<br><br>Googling it is fun to see where it's roots are, etc.<br>Yum,,,,<br>Enjoy<br>bri<br><br>

Here are the recipes I have out of my documents....<br>Enjoy:<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> </xml><![endif]--> <p class="MsoNormal">Here are a couple of easy recipes for bannock as I know it….on our trips to Alaska in the mid and late 70’s, both of which were multi month trips, we used the first as a staple, with variations.</p> <p class="MsoNormal">Even though I love it and eat it sometimes, I do not believe that white flour has much nutrition….so I have always used stone ground whole wheat flour when available for mine.</p> <p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p> <p class="MsoNormal"><u>Basic Bannock</u></p> <p class="MsoNormal">1 C<span style="">&nbsp; </span>ww flour</p> <p class="MsoNormal">1 tsp Rumfield baking powder</p> <p class="MsoNormal">¼ tsp sea salt</p> <p class="MsoNormal">Mix dry, then add cold water to make a firm dough.</p> <p class="MsoNormal">I make bannocks about the size of a small English muffin and cook them in lightly oiled med. hot fry pan…..cast iron is a nice way to go but in a van use whatever you use as a fry pan.</p> <p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p> <p class="MsoNormal">Variations that are nice are:</p> <p class="MsoNormal">1) 1 Tbls<span style="">&nbsp; </span>sugar per C of flour, blueberries, raisins, etc., add a bit more baking<span style="">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>powder</p> <p class="MsoNormal">2) 1 egg per C flour makes richer</p> <p class="MsoNormal">3) 1 to 3 Tbls<span style="">&nbsp; </span>shortening makes tender</p> <p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p> <p class="MsoNormal">When in base camp or if you have a real kitchen in your rig….try these next fellas…they are knock-your-sox-off good…..</p> <p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p> <p class="MsoNormal"><u>Bachelor Bannock</u></p> <p class="MsoNormal">2 C ww flour</p> <p class="MsoNormal">½ C wheat germ</p> <p class="MsoNormal">½ C Bran</p> <p class="MsoNormal">½ C powdered cow, soy or rice milk</p> <p class="MsoNormal">¼ to ½ C rolled oats</p> <p class="MsoNormal">Some powdered buttermilk if available</p> <p class="MsoNormal">½<span style="">&nbsp; </span>tsp baking powder per C of mix or baking soda and sourdough </p> <p class="MsoNormal">1 egg per C of above and lukewarm water added until the consistency of cookie batter. Don’t overbeat! </p> <p class="MsoNormal">Turn onto greased cast iron skillet hot enough to make spit jump…..rotate 180 degrees frequently, flip when bottom crust won’t fracture….</p> <p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p> <p class="MsoNormal">Variations:</p> <p class="MsoNormal">Nuts, raisins, dates, carob, cinnamon. Nutmeg allspice, sunflower seeds, figs,<span style="">&nbsp; </span>grated apple, bananas</p> <p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p> <p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p> <p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p> <br>