Bank for full time van living

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would focus on how good the bank’s online services are.  Can I deposit a check online.  Can I easily transfer funds online.  Are there additional charges for online services...

I agree. It's important to check if the bank has good online services. In that way, it wouldn't be a hassle because you can deposit a check or easily transfer funds online.

My banking needs are pretty straightforward, so I haven't used a traditional bank in a few years. I do all my banking through a prepaid American Express Serve card. It accepts direct deposit, you can deposit checks through the app, and depending which kind of card you have, loading cash is either free or $3.95 (I opt for the card that gives cash back on purchases instead of the free cash reload option because I'm rarely depositing cash). You can pay bills online, and it's in the Moneypass ATM network (30,000 branches) so no fee on that. You can establish a sub-account for someone else or set up a reserve account to save up or create an emergency fund. Funds are FDIC protected but you don't get any interest.

slow2day said:
^
I've been using a credit union for many years and can do just about anything online. Even loan papers can be signed digitally. Visa payments and money transfers are a breeze. I still have a checking account but write very few checks.

Instead of using ATMs, I use the cashback service at Walmarts or grocery stores (up to $100). WM charges no fee and Kroger affiliate stores charge either low or no fees.

If I do need larger amounts of cash or other services, I seek out a CU that is on the same network.

In the past 3 years I've travelled thru 19 states and Canada and have never had a problem.
Definitely agree with this. I absolutely adore my credit union. They are really on it when it comes to any kind of potential fraud purchases. I made a purchase for a cell tower booster after midnight and by 8:00 a.m., I received an automatic call asking me if I had made that purchase.
They helped me with tips to raise my credit over the last 12 months so that I could get a loan and cut my credit card rate in almost half. They are part of the network for shared branching available as far as I know of.. and all states. I'll never go back to a bank again.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I just had an incident I did NOT expect. I use a mail box for my permanent address. So far, voter registration AND DMV vehicle registration and driver's license address verification issues have come up. And yesterday when I called my credit union about a car loan, they ran my credit report and there is a RED FLAG on my address as a mail service. The bank now wants a REAL address soon, and I don't have one. Not sure what the solution will be to this one. :(

catmomtoo said:
The bank now wants a REAL address soon, and I don't have one. Not sure what the solution will be to this one. :(

The easy solution is escapees.com

catmomtoo said:
I just had an incident I did NOT expect. I use a mail box for my permanent address. So far, voter registration AND DMV vehicle registration and driver's license address verification issues have come up. And yesterday when I called my credit union about a car loan, they ran my credit report and there is a RED FLAG on my address as a mail service. The bank now wants a REAL address soon, and I don't have one. Not sure what the solution will be to this one. :(

Which state?