Bamboo floors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpleliving

Reaction score
Hi All~<br><br>I'm just about done with stripping the old stuff out of my 91 Ford, and I'm getting ready to put my new home together. I'd really like to have wood floors... like bamboo, or some other wood. Has anyone put real wood floors in? Any suggestions for me?<br><br>Thanks!

I have seen people put in real wood floors in photos. Make sure yours are full bamboo and not just bamboo layered as in cheap knock off floor boards like the low end engineered floors. You will have too much trouble with moisture then.<br><br>good luck

Yea, I would definitely use the read stuff if I go that way. I'm also wondering if there's a difference in the effectiveness of insulation for sound and/or temperature with carpet vs. wood. I like the idea of wood because it's natural, looks beautiful and is easy to keep clean.

well since I live way north of most of you! I decided to use carpet vs wood so my feet and legs would not freeze off. I used wool and wool blend throw rugs, screwed down to the hardwood floor of the Yeti. Still when it is the depth of winter, I put another layer of something under my feet and legs, then wrap my legs while I sit there. &nbsp;

Wow... sounds pretty cold where you are :/<br><br>Actually wool is my other choice. I like your idea of both, putting a wool throw wood over hardwood.<br><br><br>

The hardwood floor is the base floor of my box truck.<br>I tried everything to not make the throw rugs move around but ended up just using deck screws to screw them down so they did not move.&nbsp;<br><br>Ontario Canada gets a bit nippy, yes it does.

Wild_E,<br>Did you insulate the floor of that box truck before you floored it? If so ; with what?

Hello Simran,<br />the hardwood floor is the base floor that comes with the truck.<br /><br />My insulation started with dense basement, water proof underlay<br />then 4 layers of wool throw rugs, screwed into the wood flooring to keep it from moving. The staples did not work to keep them from moving around when you walked on it.<br />Then I added another layer of that entrance matting, rubber backed to keep the snow and water off the wool.<br /><br />I should have added a layer of the Durofoam&nbsp;sheeting first or tar paper, or some other insulation material to be honest. When the temps get to -15 Celcius and below, my legs get cold unless I have the big buddy heater going, and even then the floor is cold.<br /><br />When sitting in my chair, I wrap my legs, this winter I will try to use a sheet of durofoam under my legs to see if that helps, move up when not sitting.&nbsp;<br />hope that helps..

I have planned for home renovation, mainly for floor re-installation. I have opted for professional services for the same. They helped me choose the best flooring for the different areas of the house.

Wild_E said:
When the temps get to -15 Celcius and below, my legs get cold unless I have the big buddy heater going, and even then the floor is cold.<br /><br />When sitting in my chair, I wrap my legs, this winter I will try to use a sheet of durofoam under my legs to see if that helps, move up when not sitting.&nbsp;<br />hope that helps..

Greetings!

For staying comfy when the temps dip, I love my 12v electric blankets. Mine even have temp control.

Here's a link to some on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fie...ode=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

Yes Wild_E is correct. Even I bought one and it came with Hardwood Floor installed. However, I was always concerned to avoid scratches and water damage. Hence, I'd covered the floor with 93.75 mil thick Polyethylene Foam with the help of spray adhesive.

I like the idea of the wood floors, but not the idea of screwing area rugs to it. That makes it too much trouble to get the rugs out to clean them. If you don't want the rugs slipping around, get the foam non-skid liners, or double sided tape.