Back-up lights

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyPayne

Reaction score
When I throw my rig in reverser, the back up lights only flash on for a second then go off...

Checked the fuse already and both bulbs are new....

What else could this be?

It's an 1984 Chevy G20 .I know these old GMs have electrical issues so hopefully I don't have to jerry rig my back up lights?

your neutral safety/reverse light switch is out of adjustment. the switch is located at the bottom of the steering column right before it exits the cab. it probably won't start in neutral either.

my recommendation would be to buy a repair manual for your van it should have a detailed explanation on how to adjust it. don't just loosen it up and start moving it around. you will get your backup lights working but your van will not start, LOL.

a sometime helpful modification is to unplug the back up(BU) lights at the switch and install a toggle switch and warning light this gives you lights at the back of your van whenever you need them. just don't leave them on when driving forward.

highdesertranger

I keep meaning to pick up a repair manual. Gotta order one no auto parts store I've stopped into has on in stock...

Thanks for the tips there...and your right, it won't strat in neutral. And when I put it in neutral it stalls out....gotta get that manual...luckily every reqpir, maintenance ive had to do so far has been general maintenance and simple stuff...been lucky so far

easy fix and as if often the case it is shown on youtube :)

only one year newer than your truck: how to get the backup lights to work

well that's not the correct way to do and if it's done that way you could end up with it being worse then it was when you begin. I really dislike people on youtube telling people bad info. there is a step by step procedure for adjusting the switch if it's not followed then the vehicle might start in gear. that would have been very bad with that little girl playing right behind the truck if it stared in reverse. highdesertranger

so what do you think is the primary cause of it getting out of adjustment?

highdesertranger said:
well that's not the correct way to do and if it's done that way you could end up with it being worse then it was when you begin.  I really dislike people on youtube telling people bad info.  there is a step by step procedure for adjusting the switch if it's not followed then the vehicle might start in gear.  that would have been very bad with that little girl playing right behind the truck if it stared in reverse.  highdesertranger

anyone that starts their rig with out their foot firmly on the brake just because some supposed safety will protect them is asking for trouble anyways

same as being careless with a gun just because the "safety" is on...

I search on e-bay to find factory shop manuals for all my old iron.

it gets out of adjustment from age, other people messing with it, from the transmission being replace, the steering column being worked on. there are any number of reasons.

I just pointed out that is not the correct way to adjust the switch. with an automatic trans even if your foot is on the brake the vehicle still lurches if started in gear especially if you have a vacuum brake power booster and have bled the vacuum dry by trying to start it over and over. with the vehicle not running you only have one maybe two brake applications until you have used up your vacuum, then you have no power brakes. it is always best practice to do a job the correct way, not the Mickey Mouse way. highdesertranger

Well it sounds to me like you are saying that the adjustment should only be done by a well trained, qualified mechanic because it is not a DIY job.

Sensible advice!

well I didn't say that. I said get the proper book and follow the instructions. it's not a hard job but you must follow the instructions. I guess for some people that's hard, like the guy in the video. highdesertranger

I like the idea of doing it properly....Ordering that damn manual later today....found some connections on my engine when I deep cleaned it that I have no idea where they are supposed to be going to...whoever put the engine back in didn't connect everything up again.....

Youtube has been my friend for all the things Ive done so far...changed tranny fluid & filter,rear differential, greased fittings, deep cleaned engine and bay....about to flush the radiator....thanks ChrisFix!

Latest posts