Austin wants to ban 'Homeless Camping' again

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is not safe. There has to be a better solution.

it all is oh so wrong. real action and solutions must be addressed and be 'real'....like housing alternatives need to be put in place and more.....but mygosh this is a momumental society issue. just crazy really. bandaids only work so long, the time for surgery to fix it is sooner than later? keep pushing it around the plate? real fixes are required, be interesting to see what goes down for it all out there!

Fortunately for folks in the 9th circuit.. The supreme court let stand a ruling that prohibits criminalizing homeless for sleeping in/on public land unless shelter is provided.

Martin vs. Boise
https://nlchp.org/supreme-court-martin-v-boise/

A challenge will be brought against Texas and as the US Supreme Court has already allowed Martin to stand it is unlikely that Texas will get away with their shenanigans for long.

Damn shame these communities would rather spend money on legal challenges than helping those in need.
A few more rounds of 10k utility bills and they will have more people out on their @ss than Cali.

Thank my stars everday to be living in the 9th!

SO many things I would love to say on this topic, but would most likely be considered too political. I'll never understand how we created a society with so many people who harbor such disdain for those less fortunate. Paying people less money than can sustain someone in even the smallest of apartments is encouraged. Then we shame and deny those folks when they seek assistance, and punish them when they are unable to maintain a certain standard of living that we deem acceptable. It's disgusting and infuriating.

I agree in working to make situations better for the homeless and the poor. And I agree with most everything I’ve read about in your post above. But it’s the same as some other things, like landfills, Power plants, prisons, halfway houses, etc. we all know we need one but we don’t want it near our home. People trashing an area, defecating on the sidewalk, leaving piles of garbage and junk in public places make it hard for some to be compassionate towards those in need. It’s probably the old 80/20 rule. 80% of them are decent and clean and not shitting on the sidewalk. But the 20% who do it make it miserable for everybody. Now there’s my opinion. I wish I was writing a solution to the problem rather than my opinion about it. The fact is I can’t come up with a solution. I just pray that those who are in need find what they to live and add to that prayer the little bit that I can do for them. When it gets towards the end of the month before the Social Security comes I can identify with these folks very very much. So far I’m traveling with almost no emergency funds. I just spent $300 to get an automatic window fixed in my van. But figured with the hot weather ahead and no air-conditioning I’m going to need that window. So there’s 300 I could’ve put in my emergency fund. What I’m saying is I know what it’s like to be poor but I don’t know what it’s like to be desperately poor. As a Christian I believe with the Scripture says, we will be held accountable for how we treated those in need.

Homelessness might or should not be a crime but maybe littering is and should or could be enforced and respected and practiced by our homeless campers. I live in "sticks & bricks" in Sacramento, CA and see this every day here. We practice "leave no trace on public lands" so why should this be any different?

michaelbutak said:
Homelessness might or should not be a crime but maybe littering is and should or could be enforced and respected and practiced by our homeless campers. I live in "sticks & bricks" in Sacramento, CA and see this every day here. We practice "leave no trace on public lands" so why should this be any different?

Great idea in concept, but who's going to pay for trash removal services? We're talking about people who have pretty much zero resources. It's hard to care about things like trash and where you relieve yourself when you're literally one freezing cold night away from death and not a penny to your name. Personally, I think society as a whole should collectively take better care of the people that exist within it, and that includes the less fortunate and the absolute rock-bottom poor. If we suck so bad as a society that we have billionaires AND homeless people and we'll complain about the mess homeless people make but won't make a sincere effort to solve a simple problem like trash removal and porta potties, then we deserve shit-littered streets IMO. This country CAN afford to solve these problems. We just choose not to. We like to complain about things instead of executing real solutions, especially if >gasp< solving a problem means spending a dime of taxpayer money.

We basically just don’t care enough and have let problems snowball into a real mess. Lack of education, low wages with no opportunity for a good paying job, little or no affordable public health care or housing, no mental health treatment or counseling, alcoholism and drug abuse, high crime. It all seems so apparent to me, I just don’t understand why others don’t see it and try to help.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ All of this!  :thumbsup:

bullfrog said:
We basically just don’t care enough---- I just don’t understand why others don’t see it and try to help.
simple some care but the almighty dollar will always rule.
many help and see the need but THOSE that matter in power and can enact real total life change...nope...see no profit in it for bank accts

it is not hard to truly see but open your eyes as it is horrific for humans to  manage humanity

just thoughts, not rankin on ya LOL

^^^Yep, agree but you would think when conditions get bad enough that it begins to affect them it would change their view point. I guess even Covid 19 wasn’t bad enough to affect them as the stock market continues to grow. Crazy how bad it can get for some and still be good for others.

45 years ago I hitch hiked into Dallas, Texas a (homeless) traveler on the road and went and stayed the night at a salvation army homeless shelter they told us anybody that wants to work be out front 4:30 am. Me and one other was there out front out of well over 100 people. My mother always said God helps them that helps themselves. Rich and the poor scenario has been going on for hundreds of years not anything new in this world. Van dwellers are wise to have a emergency fund for some kinda of cushion. Personal responsibly is personal and not the responsibly of others or it would not be called "personal responsibly" to begin with. Now human compassion is not something I lack or the throngs of people handing money to people at the traffic lights all around the country. We can't just keep saying it's all the fault of the people that live in the big house on the hill with the great view because it's not.

^^^I agree but after a career as a teacher in poor areas there aren’t very many people that given an opportunity when motivated or not become better people and live much better lives. The military was really my salvation even though not what I thought to be a good choice at the time as it allowed me to go on to college and be able to survive in this world rather than die of lung disease from the coal mines and steel mills or drugs after their demise as many of my friends and family did, many spent their last days in prison due to drug charges, talk about handing out money, what a waste. I’m a firm believer in education both vocational and academic as well as mandatory public or military service to help people get moving forward. A living wage is just that without it all your choices are bad ones.

Absolutely. In order to "get out" of a bad situation, you need to believe not only that a better situation exists, but that YOU can reach it. that's what perpetuates so much generational poverty. Everyone in those communities knows that "better" exists - but they just don't believe that it is within reach for them.

rvwandering said:
No politics, please. Keep your posts civil and nonjudgemental so this thread can stay open. Thanks!

Hey! I gotta ask the question - why was my post deleted? It was political in no way what so ever. My point is: If AUSTIN of all places is cracking down on street sleepers - then where is this headed for Nomads across the REST of the country? It makes me pause and reconsider selling my home and hitting the road if this is the trend...

Cheers!

I think most large cities will be forced to eventually deal with people sleeping in their cars long term as the homeless number grows or build larger jails. Most people living in urban areas aren’t prepared or able to live in remote rural areas. I don’t think I would ever be tempted to live in car or van in an urban setting long term. I have always found a way when necessary. I have lived on my employer’s property as a security person. I have parked on private property with permission for over night stays mainly. I have slept in my car at hospital parking garages overnight during emergencies. I have used train station parking. I have used public boat ramps and parks where permitted. I have used motel and restaurants truck parking as well as normal truck stops. It really hasn’t ever been a problem. If ever asked to move by anyone for any reason I will move. I feel privileged to be able to do so.