Astro for $400... deal or trap?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reset.Suzette

Reaction score
I found this on craigslist:
https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5886535736.html

I have my concerns, such as 'has the timing belt been replaced, snapped already, or general condition of belts when starting up the vehicle, how long has this license plate-less vehicle been sitting?, whats with the white X on the windshield?, how expensive would it be to get a new bumper given the tape-looking mesh on the left front side, there are also a lot of taped up looking areas on the door and steering wheel, what was this used for?, how longs it been sitting, how many owners?, smokers?, but $400....

It's tempting to look at but what other concerns should i have with a 2000 astro such as this?
Any suggestions would be great- of course I would want to let a mechanic look at it before I purchase ANY vehicle but what kind of things can i look for and questions can i ask? And do all AWD astro's have it on the back?

Thanks!

$400 for a running, titled vehicle seems fishy to me. Have not found anything about the white X, but that could indicate salvage or something else. (still looking) My gut says - if it seems to good to be true.... Hope it turns out to be the deal of the century!

The lowest i've seen for a decent astro with no known transmission problems or that inst scrap is $1300.
Anything below $800 is normally from 1990 with over 200,000 miles on it or 'use for parts'.

And no, I'm not madly driving to Long Island to snatch this away from you! :)

Reset.Suzette said:
The lowest i've seen for a decent astro with no known transmission problems or that inst scrap is $1300.
Anything below $800 is normally from 1990 with over 200,000 miles on it or 'use for parts'.

Yeah, I paid $1300 for my '88 Chevy Astro. The guy wanted more but we knew each other so he took the $1300 cash I had on me. It's been my home ever since May.  :D LenaBelle runs great and has a rebuilt tranny and engine. I would post pics but I'm using a computer at work. 

VanGrrl57  :)

The fact that there are other plateless vehicles on either side of it suggests this is a small used car dealer, which should mean he has dealer plates to throw on it so you can take it for a ride on the highway.  Call and find out.  If you can't drive it on the street, then I would pass on it.

Living in NJ my first thought springs to Hurricane Sandy and the related widespread salt water flooding.

Proceed cautiously my friend.

Dave

another note Astro's do not have timing belts. they have timing chains. highdesertranger

I had a '98 Astro AWD from '99 to '03. Absolutely loved it. The drivetrain is pretty bullet-proof. The injectors can be problematic, but if you run injector cleaner through it about quarterly you'll save yourself a lot of headaches. I've heard since that they have some wheel sensor issues, but that's pretty minor stuff. It looks like it may be at a tow yard or salvage yard.

At $400, and the Astro being located in the NE corner of the rust belt, my biggest concern would be frame rust. But... you can buy it as a parts car and if you're lucky and get a solid driver for that, more power to you! You can afford to put some money into it for that.

No timing belt, as HDR said, and the X is an indicator it's been in a salvage yard
That doesn't mean it's a POS, but I'd be very careful
Myself, I'd likely take a chance on that, but I have a fair bit of ability to do my own repair, and if you don't, it may cost you a lot of money

I've owned 4 Astro's over the years, and the drive trains are NOT bulletproof, between 150,000-200,000 is when the tranny & rear ends start to fail. The good thing is, they are easy to find replacements for and not too bad to install. The engines in all mine were treated properly and only my 2000 needed upper end work done on it. I traded my 2004 in on the big van I'm now working on because an Astro just wasn't enough room for me to full time in.

If the body is in good shape and it actually starts, drives and stops safely, $400 is a steal. I would take a mechanic with me to check it out. Good Luck!!

I checked Kelly Blue Book on a 2000 Chevy Astro Van, 150,000 miles, in FAIR condition, and they said it would be worth between $300 and $600 as a trade in, average value $425.

If it is at a small dealer, I suppose it's possible he took it in as a trade, hasn't been able to move it, and now just want's to get it off his lot.

Bottom line, if the frame and the body are basicly good, AND you have a reserve to pay for any repairs, up to even an engine or tranny if needed, this could well be worth it.

Make sure it isn't a salvage title and look for evidence it might have been in a flood.  Google will find articles on what to look for to see if it was.

Here's an angry van seller, LOL:

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/5874692357.html

I have noticed that Astros in New England are selling for a lot more than KBB/Edmunds, they are in big demand up here. But I agree with those of you who are saying that if the vehicle is basically sound and you have the $$ to fix it up, go for it! 

I've also noticed in the months I've been searching, that NYC and Long Island usually have a ton of Astros for sale; no idea why. I'm in the boondocks on the CT/Mass border and we have very few for sale; most don't seem great...

The seller says clean title in hand. That indicates to me it's not a rebuild title.

highdesertranger said:
another note Astro's do not have timing belts.  they have timing chains.  highdesertranger

Can you elaborate on this?! Thank you! Im going to look this up! I had no idea.
When I think 'chain' i think '=metal' and being in the LI area near salty air and after Sandy, even with some years, this could mean rust and such. Good point out!

Thank you all for any tips and info on this, including the kelly blue book check up and past knowledge on clear titles and the salvage yard X.
Much appreciated!

Timing chains ride in an oil bath inside the engine block, rust is not an issue
Stretch over time is, on some engines, But I'm not aware of whether or not an Astro, like a Lumina sedan, will blow the motor long before it'll pop the chain, or if it's one of those vehicles known to wear out chains
Either way, a chain far exceeds the life of a timing belt on most any engine
Seriously if it was in my area, I would go look at it, and if I lacke mechanical skills but had a decent bankroll, and the chassis looked ok re rust and no frame damage from collision, I'd likely buy it, providing I believed it's fulfill my needs as a 'dwelling

a timing chain is an internal engine part. it gets lubricated with engine oil, yes it's metal. no chance of it rusting. highdesertranger

This could very well be a good deal, I just called the woman selling it but the only information I could get out of her is that 'it runs and drives and it's $400s.' Granted, I did ask a lot of questions but she didnt know the answers to them as she was'nt the original owner. She also stated she buys and sells cars for a living, it has'nt been sitting long, the white x is not from a salvage yard, no but then she corrected herself saying no noticeable rust, she doesnt believe it was through sandy, no idea on the timing chain, or injectors, does not have maintenance records, and seemed to get annoyed when i asked about what happened to the bumper and passenger side door when i asked about the tape, at which point she reminded me it was $400. Overall i tried to keep the conversation polite but i think I ended up annoying her. This was my bad...

I digress, i'll call her in another 2 days but if anyone want's to try and purchase this it looks like a pretty good deal if you understand how to maintain an astro. As for me... I'm going to do some reading on those astro forums I keep seeing people post about and keep looking. The mileage is my main concern. I'd like to find something, even if its a little more $ with lower miles.

Astros are pretty popular and sought after. That "X" looks like something from an auction. Looks like a small time dealer and they don't sell that low unless they really want to get rid of it. $400 is way too low, especially if you're not handy with fixing stuff.