Are my clothes getting mildew??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free_to_be_me

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’ve been using the laundry mat, and one day I noticed I pulled my clothes out of the dryer and they smelt musky and gross. At that time I was trying to wash without detergents. 
I have since changed laundry mats and use Tide laundry detergent. At first I wondered if it was from someone smoking because it had a touch of that crayon smell, but I haven’t been around smokers. 
Sometimes I don’t smell it, and then it comes back.

It’s frustrating me. I’ll have perfectly clean clothes suddenly wreak. 

Has anyone been having this problem? Do you think it’s mildew? I don’t see any visual signs, but we know how moist cars are. 
What do I do?

Adding baking soda in the wash could help with the odor. Is it possible to hang your wash outside to dry?

Sometimes those laundromat washers don't drain 100% and they start growing "stuff."

Try adding 1/2 cup of baking soda to each machine along with your laundry soap. That will work even if you want to go with unscented "free and clear" detergent.

The Dire Wolfess

If you've been avoiding detergent for a while, it's going to take several washes with detergent before you get all the body oils out of the clothing.

If you have odours, that is bacteria breeding.
So why bacteria? Love humidity, dark areas and moisture.
You have to destroy them and plain water wash/ rinse isn't going to do it.
Heat, sun, chemical treatment and continued dry storage in one or combination.

Without knowing the specfics of your situation, high humidity area, storing moist, water leak, improper drying, etc... You have to troubleshoot the problem.

Lay them out in the sun to fully dry for an extended period and kill the bacteria is a good, fresh start.
Or long dryer cycle. Personally I avoid dryers as they rapidly deteriorate/ fade your clothes faster.

About 10 years ago we had the same issue.

We had a front loading washer and after about a year our clothes started to smell.

Tried everything, vinegar, taking it apart, every trick listed on the internet.

No help.

Finally bought a top loading washing machine.

Do a search for smelly clothes & washer.

Don't know if it is the same issue.

Jeff

A lot of washing machines hold water in the bottom, for some reason, instead of just draining it out. If that water is getting mixed in with your clothes, maybe that's it?

When I lived in California, I guess because of the constant heat, I found I would get mildew on my clothes if i didn't take them out of the washer fairly soon and put them in the dryer to dry. Like, overnight would be enough to get them smelly and mildewy.

If you're in a laundromat you wouldn't be leaving clothes for any real length of time, but it could be the first thing I brought up above. Stanky clothes.

Also, if anyone washed urine-soaked diapers in the washer shortly before you did, that can leave your subsequent load stinky.

Heck, I've even discovered someone trying to give their baby stuff a free wash by throwing their horrifying diapers in with my laundry when I left the laundry room. Wow were my shirts disgusting when I came back to stick them in the dryer!

Woooowww thanks guys! I will certainly try these tips out, starting with good old sunlight and fresh air :)

Wow, Dingfelder, you had some terrible experiences!!!! Sorry to hear that! People are crazy!!

Thank you everyone!

If possible pack them in plastic totes with dryer sheets. It may take some adjusting
Putting them in an open plastic bag or in a wash cloth etc so your clothes smell fresh not WOW lavender!!. Or anything that had the scent you like. Experiment with it and you will find the right match. Happy travels.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

This sometimes happened to my old towels before I bought Quick Dry Towels.

Here is what helped:
For whites I added 2 cups (ok, I eyeballed it) of bleach to the wash.
For colors I added a quart of white vinegar to the wash.

This worked well. Eventually I got rid of those heavy towels. Now for prevention I just add a pint of vinegar to each load of laundry once a month.

Have been led to believe the seal on most used machines holds and hides a lot of gunk ready to contaminate that final rinse water.

Other than that, a cup of white vinegar plus a tablespoon of Bi Carb soda in the final wash has been successful for me.   The vinegar and Bi Carb also does an apparent softener effect.

Last one, friend swears by a couple of drops of Oil of Cloves in the final rinse.   I have not tried that one as the V&B does it for me.