Anyone watch the rocket launch today??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched this one and the Space X launch a day or so ago. the space X had 2 boosters return and land at the same time.

If you don't feel patriotic, and almost shed a tear with pride watching these videos, you aren't American.

Meh, they're just jaunts for rich gazillionnaire space tourists. And maybe possibly someday a way for the US to not have to hitch their rides with the Russians.

Real work in space has been going on for half a century now.

Alas, I remember when the Space Program was an inspiration for all humanity.

Now, it's just a welfare program for Russian scientists so they don't build missiles for the Iranians.

:(

But Lenny...that was back when you could still get mental health treatment.
(Remember, before we began our society-wide incarceration policy of mentally ill people?)

No vodka-swilling comrades building any doomsday weapons. Reagan said so.
:)
(Besides, it's not like there are stacks of working reactor sections of submarines just sitting around or anything.)

I think seeing private concerns more involved is a good thing.
Rockets landing themselves on the pad is VERY cool!

ckelly78z said:
If you don't feel patriotic, and almost shed a tear with pride watching these videos,  you aren't American.

If only it was that easy.

What is amazing is that they are using kerosine and oxygen and a large number of engines and modern tech to control them really well.

come on Bullfrog why do you want to mislead us. everyone knows dilithium crystals power space craft. LOL highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
come on Bullfrog why do you want to mislead us. everyone knows dilithium crystals power space craft. LOL highdesertranger

Seeing as Star Wars came into this and we are meandering to Sci-Fi... Chewbacca died today [emoji30]

Unfortunately the Klingons control most of the dilithium crystal mines (your relatives JD?) so they are hard to get.

Thanks JD, the landing was truly impressive.  Anyone who knows anything about control systems knows how difficult that is.

I had the opportunity a number of years ago to visit Kennedy Space Center in Florida.  They had a Saturn 5 first stage booster siting on its side that one could walk around and touch.  Each engine (there were 5) was 12 ft in diameter - huge.  Well worth the stop if you are ever in the area.

I don't know if it is still there after all these years but Houston's space center had the whole saturn V on its' side with the stages separated. Very impressive.

I wonder how come rich private individual corporations can build a complex rocket with such excellent control systems but no car company has been able to do the same with a diesel powered vehicle?

Mandated regulations for emissions and MPG on diesels but not on rockets.

Edit to add: If they did you couldn't afford it.