• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

anyone near Pittsburgh PA interested in a van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvwandering

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We're visiting friends in the area and they mentioned that they want to sell their van. It's partly converted and has a bed and a fresh water tank. It runs good but the pitman arm needs to be replaced. I think it's a 1989. They've had the van since it was new and as far as I know have taken good care of it. He'd probably be satisfied with $600.00.

Not much information, I know, but wanted to see if there was any interest before I posted pictures or asked a lot of questions.

Argh! I was ready to make a road trip to PA, for a van with your endorsement. Alas, I want something newer :(

Sorry Cyndi. Keep looking- you'll find a good one!

A little more information. It's a 85 not a 89. It has around 90,000 miles on the odometer. Chevy G20, 3/4 ton, registered as motorhome. 5 tires but I don't know how old they are. Lots of tread but may need replaced.

Tony took some pictures:

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    891.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    892.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    859.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    793 KB · Views: 69
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    977.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    908.7 KB · Views: 57
That's in great shape for the asking price of what is the scrap value.

Plus a 1985 could have an overdrive transmission.

That's better than a new van Cyndi with a cast iron V-8 and simple carb.

I had a 1978 model just like that and I regret selling it.

Dang, I thought a PA van would be all rusty. It's very nice for an '85 and a great price if it runs out well. Wish I was closer as I've been thinking about switching from Dodge to Chevy and to a pre-computer vehicle. I'd want to know if it's a 350 or a 305.

Back during the 1985 time frame GM produced fuel squeezer 305 2V with RV type (hi lift short duration) camshaft.

My 78 was a straight 3 speed trans with a 3.08 axle 350 4-v.

If that has a 305 2-v with overdrive trans and 3.08 axle at 55 mph on the level would 20 mpg not be out the question.

Damn i might be interested if it runs good. How would you feel traveling in it, say a few thousand miles. Confident it would hold up? I'm about 2 and a half hours from there.

Mr.LooRead said:
If that has a 305 2-v with overdrive trans and 3.08 axle at 55 mph on the level would 20 mpg not be out the question.

I had an '87 Caprice with a 305 and a 4-bbl feedback carb that got 23mpg highway,no problem. With the extra stuff I haul in a van though, I'd want a 350.

It runs good. Our friend says that he'd have no worries about taking it out on a long trip. He's pretty particular with his stuff, changes the oil regularly and fixes things when needed. A little background - We've known him for years and have found him to be very trustworthy. He bought the van to take trips to Florida and Myrtle Beach but hasn't used it much in the last 10 years except for driving around town. It won't pass PA inspection without the pitman arm replacement and he doesn't want to put a few hundred into something that he's not using. He says that he can't tell that the pitman arm is bad because it still steers okay. He doesn't drive it in the winter so there's not much rust, just a little around the bottom. You can see it in the pictures if you zoom in on them.

He's a spry 80 year old and doesn't have a computer but you can call him for more information. He's loud and gruff but has a heart of gold and will tell you the truth about the van.

Jim Cleary - 412-653-3254

Oops, I meant to use my tonyandkaren forum name.

awesome, thanks for info...so its drivable? i ill see if i can scrape up some moolah...

A pitman arm is $40 at autozone, you should also replace the idler arm plus front wheel alignment.

About $200 total with labor.

Dazar, did you speak with Jim? I think he's planning on seeing how much he can get for it as scrap if nobody wants it. I'd hate to see that happen. Good luck!

Dazar, would you give Jim a call please. I spoke with him a short while ago and he's concerned that you won't be able to transfer the title or get temporary plates if you come on Sunday and decide that you want the van right then and there. His phone doesn't have caller id so he can't call you back.

I did call him yesterday.

Ill call him tomorrow(well today technically).

Looks like ill have to do it the following monday...curse you columbus ! :p