Anyone in NC willing to help me install battery system?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory350

Reaction score
II've got most of my components and have been researching all over but I'm just so paranoid about burning the whole thing down. I have currently the solar panels, batteries and fuse block. I'm going to order a small dometic 12v fridge soon so I'd like to get a wire run for the as well. If anyone in the area would be willing to help me I'd be very grateful. I'm hitting the road June 1st to start the van life full time and this is the only thing left of my list. Thanks agin to this community for exposing me to this lifestyle.

I'll show you mine ... no ... wait ... sounds like we're in much the same.position ... and neighbors. Sending a PM.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm in about the same stage of my build...

But, I'm over in middle Tennessee, just north of Nashville...
The three of us should g2g, it would be the blind leading the blind!!!

Lol! Such Fun!

Maybe the blind leading the stupid! :)

Cory350 and I did get together and in some ways he's way ahead of me. He has much more of his interior done, we both have fans installed. I've got my panels mounted but am still collecting other bits and pieces.

I *HOPE* to be making some regional trips in the very near future and Western NC is on that list. We're both near Raleigh and talked a bit about doing some caravan trips to get our sea legs.

I did a HUGE amount of work on the house today and hope to be able to really focus on my rig for the rest of the week. Hopefully someone with deep pockets will come along and fall in love with S&B's and force me out quick.

My daughter lives in Apex. My shop is in South Jersey. I could be most anywhere.

Glad to see this post get a little more action!

As Zizzer mentioned we met up a few days ago. It was refreshing to talk to someone face to face with the same outlook on life and goals for traveling. Once this rain lets up I'm going to mount my panels and drop the cables through the roof. Still nervous about hooking it all up. I'm at the very least going to connect the fan before spending a night in this humid NC climate. Move out date is May 31st and I'm super stoked!

Weight said:
My daughter lives in Apex. My shop is in South Jersey. I could be most anywhere.
Awesome! Apex is the far side of Raleigh but off rush hour it's not bad. You would pass my place of you come down 85 instead of 95.

I hope to be mobile in the next few weeks and fulltime once I sell the house.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Even just a visit amd some moral support would.be great.

Cory350 said:
Glad to see this post get a little more action!

As Zizzer mentioned we met up a few days ago. It was refreshing to talk to someone face to face with the same outlook on life and goals for traveling. Once this rain lets up I'm going to mount my panels and drop the cables through the roof. Still nervous about hooking it all up. I'm at the very least going to connect the fan before spending a night in this humid NC climate. Move out date is May 31st and I'm super stoked!
Had a good time. Rain has slowed me down too. I hope to get a few hours of work in today.

I'm going to go look at a pop-up for.possible salvage parts. I have doubts but it may have water tanks and some other useful.stuff.

I will be soon. I will give you a shout when I get near.

Weight said:
I will be soon. I will give you a shout when I get near.
Awesome! I've a mostly level pad large enough for a van if you need. The drive way has a bit of a slope to it.

Give a little notice and Cory350 might make it over as well.

A LOT of folks here have done that , you can too.
Take pics , post , ask questions....the help is here.

(I know not the same as someone being there with all the right tools......)

Cory350 said:
II've got most of my components and have been researching all over but I'm just so paranoid about burning the whole thing down. I have currently the solar panels, batteries and fuse block. I'm going to order a small dometic 12v fridge soon so I'd like to get a wire run for the as well. If anyone in the area would be willing to help me I'd be very grateful. I'm hitting the road June 1st to start the van life full time and this is the only thing left of my list. Thanks agin to this community for exposing me to this lifestyle.

Hey, I am in NC too and getting ready to purchase my first RV. I am going to pm as well.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
Maybe the blind leading the stupid! :)

Cory350 and I did get together and in some ways he's way ahead of me. He has much more of his interior done, we both have fans installed. I've got my panels mounted but am still collecting other bits and pieces.

I *HOPE* to be making some regional trips in the very near future and Western NC is on that list. We're both near Raleigh and talked a bit about doing some caravan trips to get our sea legs.

I did a HUGE amount of work on the house today and hope to be able to really focus on my rig for the rest of the week. Hopefully someone with deep pockets will come along and fall in love with S&B's and force me out quick.
Ack! You guys are near Raleigh? I am IN Raliegh!  And about to get my first RV!

Pen Wize said:
Ack! You guys are near Raleigh? I am IN Raliegh!  And about to get my first RV!
Yup. My skoolie is going back to the mechanic om Tuesday. I've got space for several cars or vans but another large rig might be too much. I'm still driving my daily driver so can get around.

I would love to set up a group camp out once my rig is done getting worked on.

@Pen Wize: Nice to see another member in the Triangle! 

I'm all for a get together anywhere sometime in next week or into the beginning of June.

Cory350 said:
@Pen Wize: Nice to see another member in the Triangle! 

I'm all for a get together anywhere sometime in next week or into the beginning of June.

What kind of rig to you guys have? I will be looking at a couple this week and will need a mechanic look the engines over. Can you recommend anyone? There is one in Jacksonville, NC and the other is in Troy NC. Would it be okay to put the links in here for you guys to look at? I am new to all of this. I am looking at Class C's

Pen Wize said:
What kind of rig to you guys have? ... I am looking at Class C's

I have a 2005 Ford E450 Shorty Bluebird Schoolbus, 5 windows. Cory350 has a Ford E350 van. I have something of a build log in "Captains Logs".

I am not a mechanic. I have been uncomfortable in traditional motor homes since I was about 12. I'm just too big of a person. I'm not the person to ask concerning them.

The only mechanic I know here in NC is local to me. Aside the mechanicle aspects he doesn't know much about RV'S. I'm not from here and I'm leaving pretty much as soon as I can get it all together.

I would honestly suggest opening a new thread in the RV forum and ask for opinions about the rigs your looking at.

Good luck. It's an adventure just buying your rig. You might consider going to a new RV lot to look at the new ones to get an idea of what your looking for.

Over in the Shelby, NC area... 1987 Class A 25' Honey RV... have a few years before I can go full time... but I Part Time like Crazy! LOL
1970 VW Westy Camper Bus too.