Anyone have a second cell with the same #

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
So, my Samsung J7 just locked up. It's been acting up since the last update last week. Anyway I can't login so I'm about to drive to a Verizon store and see if they can get it to reboot/whatever and that drives the question, is it possible to get a second, cheap cell with the same number? Otherwise, I'm screwed until I get this one working again and what do I do next time this happens 100 miles from wherever.

Sure, just buy the new phone and get it activated on your account. I've even swapped back and forth with a new phone and old one, all on the same phone number. I don't know that you can have both phones active at once, however. Verizon will be able to answer that for you.

Aj, did you sync both phones at some point so contacts / photo's are on both?

You cannot have a cell service provider hosted number active on two physical phones at the same time.

As long as both are LTE capable phones, most providers are fine with you swapping SIMs without having to do anything else.

Some want you to notify them give the new ESN, but likely not enforced.

______
If you port the number to an "over the top" service provider, then use their **app** to make calls, then that number is available on your computers, tablets, and any number of phones, even a borrowed device, via the web. . .

All the active devices ring at the same time, you choose which to pick up. Texts synced across all platforms.

Google Voice can integrate with their excellent Google Fi service

TextNow can also have a SIM-based phone, plus their app across all devices.

And any VoIP service can do the same thing.

If you have a wifi signal, you can use the app "Hangouts Dialer" on most android devices to make and receive calls with the one phone number. I have a second android phone and a tablet with this app.

+1 for Google Voice.
Won’t help you right now with this situation but getting a GV number that is connected to a gmail account (all free) allows you to associate 1 or more landlines, VOIP phones or mobile phones. You give out and people call the GV# and your mobile phone rings. Phone dies, you quickly grab a new one from Dollar Store. Attach, associate, the new number to the GV number and the new phone now rings when people call the GV number you’ve given out.
We’ve had a GV number for over 10 years, moved, changed phones, changed mobile providers and never worry or fuss if we have to get a new mobile number or one doesn’t port.

Matlock said:
So, my Samsung J7 just locked up. It's been acting up since the last update last week. Anyway I can't login so I'm about to drive to a Verizon store and see if they can get it to reboot/whatever and that drives the question, is it possible to get a second, cheap cell with the same number? Otherwise, I'm screwed until I get this one working again and what do I do next time this happens 100 miles from wherever.

Companion phones are coming, with the same number. One is available now from Palm on Verizon.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/25/palm-companion-phone-verizon-release-date-pricing/

https://www.verizon.com/about/devices/palm

Yah $350 for a crippled Android phone that only works with Verizon.

No thanks, and would be very surprised if it lasts more than a season or two.

We should be breaking away from dependence on the cell providers, not volunteering for them to sink in their claws any deeper.

John61CT said:
We should be breaking away from dependence on the cell providers, not volunteering for them to sink in their claws any deeper.

Not being flip but how could we do that?

Read my post above.

I moved my "home" phone number to Google, and my "cell" number with TextNow.

Both ring on all my devices at the same time, and I can make outbound calls from either.

All go to the same single voicemail, which texts and emails me with the recording file and usually very accurate transcriptions.

Including to/from overseas, temporary SIMs bought at a local 7-11 while travelling whatever.

When I do (rarely) **need** to use a SIM-based actual cell provider number for outbound calls - I make sure to give people only my permanent numbers, tell them to not store any other temporary ones in my contact record.

This lets me switch to whichever MVNOs are offering very cheap deals, and get better signal coverage since I use all four providers.

My total voice + text expense is under $50/mo.

John61CT said:
Yah $350 for a crippled Android phone that only works with Verizon.

No thanks, and would be very surprised if it lasts more than a season or two.

I agree, but there is movement out there. Hopefully some competition as well.

I also would never go for this, not at any price. I once purchased a feature phone (candy bar phone) at Walmart because it was cheaper then paying for a SIM card from the provider. It worked, the provider activated the SIM card from the feature phone to use in my current iPhone.

Then I realized I could switch between both phones by moving the SIM card. The advantages of the iPhone are obvious. The advantage of the feature phone was super long battery life, no data use and I didn't care if it was stolen.

So the easiest thing I know of, if you have a GSM (SIM card) phone is to buy another cheap phone and move the SIM card between the two phones.

Works with most VZW and Sprint MVNOs as well. Just need to be compatible phones.

Which these days for solid data usage is just as required for ATT & T-Mobile, the newer 4G frequency bands are oddballs often not implemented on cheaper generic GSM models.

AJ452 wrote, "Sure, just buy the new phone and get it activated on your account. I've even swapped back and forth with a new phone and old one, all on the same phone number. I don't know that you can have both phones active at once, however. Verizon will be able to answer that for you."
Verizon says I need to purchase another line along with their cheap phone. $20 + $5 a month.

John 61CT wrote, "You cannot have a cell service provider hosted number active on two physical phones at the same time." John & AJ that is what Verizon said, I can go into MyVerizon on-line and deactivate one phone and switch the line to the second phone.

As long as both are LTE capable phones, most providers are fine with you swapping SIMs without having to do anything else. I thought about this but wasn't going to ask Vz while I was there.

Some want you to notify them give the new ESN, but likely not enforced. This is why I didn't bring it up when I spoke with them today.

______
If you port the number to an "over the top" service provider, then use their **app** to make calls, then that number is available on your computers, tablets, and any number of phones, even a borrowed device, via the web. . . Who is this "over the top" provider, what did I miss? Are you saying to use Call Forwarding?

B&C, haven't got to the Hangouts Dialer App yet, but thanks.
Firtree, GV I've heard about it but not looked into it, yet. Free sounds great!
broken ed, That's the simple solution I was thinking of initially but then I read John's reply. I gotta look at your links an see what else is possible, thanks.
John wrote, "I moved my "home" phone number to Google, and my "cell" number with TextNow." Please define "home" phone #.
"My total voice + text expense is under $50/mo." What do you do for internet? My Verizon bill is $175 and that includes 24Gig of data/ unlimited voice & text.
If it wasn't for the data, weboost and directional antenna to reliably pay bills and do banking I probably wouldn't need a phone or the data plan.
All, thanks for the replies, I've got some reading to do.

i ported my cell #(primary and only number) to google voice then dropped the cell carrier. now i have a PC's for people mifi hotspot and what ever open wifi i can find. i can use any old phone or tablet with the app to make and receive calls and txt/sms also can do the same from any internet connected computer just by logging into my google voice account via a web browser. might not help you with this immediate problem but this is a way to use the same number on multiple devices and it can be your existing number

Matlock said:
Who is this "over the top" provider, what did I miss?
OTT just means using the various VoIP implementations, where your voice / SMS do not use the usual native cellphone-tower protocols, but carried over any Internet data connection.

That makes the number usable by any supported OS platform, multiple devices at the same time, not tied to just one SIM card

See my example list above including Google Fi+gVoice, TextNow, etc.

> Please define "home" phone #.

Can be the number used to be serviced by an old-school landline. But just as an example.

If you use multiple different numbers with your contacts, it is a useful shorthand to label them "home" "office" "mobile", even if you sometimes redirect them to all go to the same device(s)

> What do you do for internet?

Varies with where I'm living.

In S&B, I've never had cable service, but sometimes use that type of ISP if they are good value in that location. Never more than $60 a month though and often that aso includes a voice landline.

While mobile, I usually have 2-3 mifi or rooted hotspotting phones, on different networks for better geographic coverage.

HowardForum is best for info on the various MVNOs and resellers currently offering good deals, that landscape changes all the time, rarely a good idea to just stay with the same provider / plan more than a year or two.