Anyone have a Freeway kit?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd never heard of it before, thanks for including the link. Not a bad way to go for a lot of people who have the money!

In 2015 I had my mini-van set up similarly.  The plan was to cook outside the back like with a teardrop trailer.  I turned it all around 90 degrees so I could cook breakfast and make coffee in cold and rain without going outside.  My opinion is that it is spendy for a concept that I discarded after 1 week of use.  Try that orientation with cheap boxes or crates first.

Oldwolf said:
Been leaning towards getting a Freeway Nomad Camper Kit and am wondering if anyone here had one and what they think about it. Would probably add on my own a 12V refrigerator and solar.

https://www.freewaycamperkit.com/en/nomad/
Did you realize that company website is in the country of Estonia?  I can't begin imagine the cost of shipping cabinetry to the USA from there. It would be coming on a very slow boat. It might not make it to the USA without damage. Plus you will be paying import duties and it might have to be freighted on a truck from a seaport dock to your location. What if some of the parts were missing from the unit? It would take a long time to get those items. Best to buy something already available in the country you live in where you have a local business to back up the customer service for the product if something is wrong with it.

Looks like a pretty sweet setup, until you use it.

Yes, if it rains, cooking will not be fun. My first setup required outside cooking. It didn't take me long to change that. And that one takes up a lot of space!

Also, I see storage would be awful. Under the bed? Getting at anything under there would be very difficult, especially if the chair was in use. No way to store anything under the kitchen unit, either.

I would pass on it.

How can you tell they are not native English speakers? They used the word "freedomness" right on the web page when the word freedom would have worked much better.

Freedomness is not even a real word, it is one of those types of words that people used to call "Spanglish" where people who natively speak Spanish end up creating a muddled mess out of combinations of English language words and endings. Or of course it can go the other way, English to Spanish.

Don't get hysterical.

https://www.freewaycamperkit.com/en/contact/

"We are located on the East Coast, in Saint-Lazare, Québec, Canada, J7T 2G7"

[PS Quebec is the home of Canada's francophones. (People who speak the French language as their native tongue.)]

Website hosting has not much to do with their competency (or lack of) in building physical components. Outsource the web stuff to the cheapest vendor and concentrate on their core business.

I have noticed that most of the kits have a rear outside kitchen. I really liked the Australian kitchen in a drawer setup. I always cook outside when camping, but when stealthing you cannot do that. Your food setup must be inside.   -crofter

" but when stealthing you cannot do that."

or in a downpour, or a blizzard, or a windstorm. not to mention when it's just plain freezing cold or blazing hot.

highdesertranger

crofter said:
 . . . I always cook outside when camping, but when stealthing you cannot do that. Your food setup must be inside.   -crofter

When I stealth camp, I do not cook where I sleep.
I drive up, park, go to bed, get up in AM, drive away.
My cooking is done at a city park or wayside rest area.

Other issues about cooking out of the back of your rig are valid.

I find these modular units intriguing, but the bottom line is: I think you can do better.

The dual bed set-up requires that you be outside to deploy it. There is no room inside when it is in place. In my experience, even a foot or two beats none.

The water system looks like a couple of Aquatainers with holes in their sides, which seems awkward. The standard thermoelectric cooler will likely only cool 40 degrees below ambient; the upgrade to a compressor fridge being $700-800 more.

We do not cook inside, and our "galley" is in the rear. However, everything but the stove and pots and pans is within reach from the inside for an uncooked meal when conditions require.

Yes, the company is just over the border near Montreal. Thought I might drive up from NC, let them install and show me the process. I'd camp on the way up and the way back. Savings would be $300-$400 in shipping and defray the trip cost somewhat.

Most of my trips would be only me, so it looks to have adequate storage under the bed, for clothing etc.  My stow-and-go seating in the rear would come out to allow the kitchen unit to fit. Space below is for water directly under the seat and 12V batteries on the other side. Yes, cooking would be outside, under the hatch for shelter. I agree that cooking under rain would be no fun, but camping in rain rarely is. I plan to have an awning on one side and could cook under that as well.

Initially I thought the sink idea was not needed, but after giving some thought to it I can see how it would be useful to me. I hope to be able to acquire a 12V compressor refrigerator which will make food storage just a bit easier.

On the other hand, I could build my own kit. I have all the tools but at my age I seem to be losing the patience. Have found some interesting bed building plans, and also some kitchen sink plans.

I appreciate your comments and thoughts.

"I seem to be losing the patience."

dang for the price of those things I would look real hard and try to find my patience.

highdesertranger

For one person, this looks workable.  After taking a closer look, I see you would be able to access the cooler and sink from inside, which can be a plus.  If you decide to go for it, enjoy!

Thanks OldWolf for this link. Interesting idea by Freeway---seems to be well built, and someone gave a alot of thought to put the system together to fit like shown. It is not for me personally because of the cost --but I am cheap. Nice wood finishes and details etc--. I like the pop up work surfaces in the back, but anyone can build a simple pull out surface from the back for very little money that is bulletproof. I suspect that with a little thought and planning, the day to day functions shown in the photos on the website could be put together for a lot less cash --if that is an issue.

Thanks for showing this. T

gsfish said:
I took a look at the web site. They state that shipping is included in the listed price. The price is given in a way that I'm not familiar with, the dollar sign is last (like 2949.99$). It is also in a slanted font which indicates a conversion on eBay, don't know about here. Can it be assumed that this is USD (US Dollars)?

Guy

Yeah, it must be a Canadian thing to put the $ sign last.
But yes, pricing is US dollars. If it were Canadian it would be quite a value!

Today's exchange: 1 CAD to USD = 0.770056 US Dollars

Oldwolf said:
 . . .
On the other hand, I could build my own kit. I have all the tools but at my age I seem to be losing the patience . . .

I found building my kitchen both challenging and enjoyable (worked with metal a lot but this was the first time I seriously attempted cabinetmaking).

With the added bonus that if something is not working as I would like, I have no qualms about tearing stuff apart and redoing it.

You guys gave me a lot to think about,,,and frankly, putting that much money into a kit before I had done much van camping was making me hesitate a bit. So, I have decide to move slowly, and build a simple bed and rear console to try things out for awhile. I really appreciate the advice and comments you guys gave me. Thanks.

A nearly empty slate...

20200104_133649.jpg
20191224_163446.jpg

Attachments

• 20200104_133649.jpg
    20200104_133649.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191224_163446.jpg
    20191224_163446.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Latest posts