Anyone ever tackled rot repair from water damage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyRidge

Reaction score
:mad: We took our 2005 Keystone Hornet Hideout out last week and when I was in the front storage compartment I noticed the floor was very soft.  After peeling back the vinyl flooring I was horrified to see there wasn't a floor left there.   Seems water has been getting in somewhere on the roof or siding and settling on that corner of the floor and rotted it out to nothing.   I am not sure what to do now.   I don't know if our insurance covers anything like this.   I am not a fan of getting on the roof mainly because I'm a big guy and 330lb men don't belong on thin RV roofs.   I have watched a ton of videos on repairing this sort of thing and they all start with finding the leak.   Its a really nice camper and I would hate to think it getting scrapped out because of this bad section of floor.   I am handy and have tools so I would consider fixing it myself.  

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_6411.jpg
    IMG_6411.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 6
yes I have done it. I did a write up here with a few pics. I will try to find it. highdesertranger

Wow thanks, this is a great inspiration to try and tackle it. I never even thought of approaching it from the outside in? I was worried about tearing up interior walls which are nice still and it never occurred to me I could pull the siding off dry it all out and go at it from outside.

Great write up,

Man, I love this forum.

Scabbing in floor with wood and covering with plywood then coating that with fiberglass resin or using the mix (see tnttt.com in the foamies section of the forums) then covering with tile or plastic flooring has worked well for me.

I am going to try what highdesertranger did first and identify the infiltration hopefully not the ROOF, then peal back the exterior by removing the joints on the side and prying off the siding. I am sure I have some rot in the wall to address then I will cut out the bad and scab in some new wood and also replace as much of the soft floor that I can with some plywood vs that cheap press board it was made out of. Then lay down some 1/4 hardwood floor over that. Might add some weight but that's ok to me cannot add that much.

Repairing water damage is usually not as bad as it first looks.The camper Ihave now,the whole ceiling and walls in the front 6 ft had rotted and fallen in. A couple days work and a hundred bucks for wood and it's a nice rig again.

Latest posts