Anyone enjoy visiting small towns around country

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froghat

Reaction score
When I do a trial run of traveling/living in my Jeep Patriot I think part of my plan is to visit as many small towns around the country as I can as opposed to mostly camping in nature spots. I think it would be cool to see old movie theaters and main street type of towns around the country. I also want to build a fund before I leave so I can afford to eat at small diners and such to experience more stuff. Also visit baseball stadiums and other things like that. Does anyone do this vs mainly camping? How has it worked out and what things do you focus on seeing?

froghat said:
When I do a trial run of traveling/living in my Jeep Patriot I think part of my plan is to visit as many small towns around the country as I can as opposed to mostly camping in nature spots. I think it would be cool to see old movie theaters and main street type of towns around the country. I also want to build a fund before I leave so I can afford to eat at small diners and such to experience more stuff. Also visit baseball stadiums and other things like that. Does anyone do this vs mainly camping? How has it worked out and what things do you focus on seeing?
Used to do that a lot in my tent camping days. I love wandering around small towns on foot, doing exactly what you describe--finding old movie theaters, false front main streets, churches, cemeteries, houses with no two alike. Reminds me of home. When I become a full-timer I'm going to follow William Least Heat Moon's idea  and travel the "blue highways" instead of the interstates.

We're backroad travelers so we go through many small towns. We like history and if there's a museum we almost always stop for a visit. The museums are often staffed by volunteers who are local and know everything about the area. They can fill you in on the town gossip, other places to go, places to eat, and places to stay. Many small towns in the midwest have free or cheap campgrounds. You could also try asking if there's a place in town to park. 

This blog might give you some ideas too - http://travelswithtwinkles.blogspot.com/
   The blogger likes small town architecture, local bars and local bands so he finds a lot of stuff of interest.

I love small town USA. a little hint, "when in Rome do as the Romans". makes for a much more enjoyable visit. highdesertranger

I'm more an urban camper---my focus is on moving from city to city to see the museums, zoos, parks, historical sites, etc.

Most of us here do seem to be mostly boondockers though.

lenny flank said:
I'm more an urban camper---my focus is on moving from city to city to see the museums, zoos, parks, historical sites, etc.

Most of us here do seem to be mostly boondockers though.

Hey Lenny, what type of vehicle do you have? Do you travel year around? Where have you been lately? Not sure if  boondocking would be good for me. I'm a loner type and I'm trying to get out more and meet people. I feel if I did alot of camping I would just hide from everybody and feel worse.

Im scared of small towns. I've lived in them.

When I'm on the road I frequently hit the slow roads and soak up the local atmosphere !
Some of my best finds were when trying to detour around stressful city areas.

Life is good in the small towns hope you enjoy it as much as I do......

We love the small towns as well.
The diners, the friendly folks, we will talk with locals all day and just browse antiques and weird little trinket shops. I love it as does the wife.

froghat said:
Hey Lenny, what type of vehicle do you have? Do you travel year around? Where have you been lately? Not sure if  boondocking would be good for me. I'm a loner type and I'm trying to get out more and meet people. I feel if I did alot of camping I would just hide from everybody and feel worse.

I have a GMC Savanna. Yes, I travel year round (north in summer, south in winter) and live in her fulltime. I've been all over the country--lately in Kentucky, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.

I am in new places all the time with new people to meet, so I never get bored.  :)

I'm not on the road yet, but when I get out there, my plan is to visit small towns as well as small and large cities. I want to visit museums and galleries, see local attractions, learn the history of an area or town, eat some good food in local restaurants and diners, attend concerts and quirky local festivals, and soak it all up.

I grew up in a small town and it totally sucked, but there are lots of small towns that are way cooler and more interesting than my hometown. Small town life is fun when you are visiting or vacationing rather than living in one.

I'm an introvert, but that just means I need some "recovery" time after being with people. I'm alone a lot but it gets to me after a while. I like meeting and connecting with people and learning about the places I visit. I'll be (hopefully) supporting myself with online and freelance work and possibly selling crafts at fairs.

I'm not an outdoorsy LL Bean sort of person, don't have much experience with camping, and boondocking in a desert holds zero appeal to me. But I want a nomadic life -- so the above is how I plan on doing it. Small towns, cities, history, culture, the arts, and dining out. Still figuring out what to do and how to make it all happen.

I love visiting small towns but frequently find them far less than welcoming, so I don't really venture there anymore. When traveling I'm friendly when others are, but mostly just pass on through as anonymously as possible.

I love small town libraries. I am a boondocker, but plan my routes on backroads with time to stop between boondocking spots. I haven't been on an interstate for any substantial amount of time since last year's RTR, and should try to avoid same for 2018.

I find communicating with small town locals easiest. I may not initiate a conversation(introvertedx2), but find that often locals are curious enough about the unique/peculiar/aging/traveler, or my van, to start one.
Secondary roads are more interesting/scenic and (usually) less stressful for both me and my van, also most of the campsites that I prefer are closer to small towns than cities.
Recently I discovered small town museums are a wealth of information and characters as T'n K said.

CityWoman said:
I'm not an outdoorsy LL Bean sort of person, don't have much experience with camping, and boondocking in a desert holds zero appeal to me.  But I want a nomadic life -- so the above is how I plan on doing it. Small towns, cities, history, culture, the arts, and dining out.  Still figuring out what to do and how to make it all happen.

That's what sounds so beautiful about the life. You can really make what you want out of it. Just like the people that live in their car against their will and are miserable there's the people that go out there, challenge themselves purposefully and accept the pain points in exchange for the freedom

Spitfire Riggz said:
That's what sounds so beautiful about the life. You can really make what you want out of it. Just like the people that live in their car against their will and are miserable there's the people that go out there, challenge themselves purposefully and accept the pain points in exchange for the freedom

that reminds me of something Ive pondered for a while.....what's the difference between someone who lives in the van by choice versus someone who lives in their van by circumstance? or dumpster dives.

bardo said:
that reminds me of something Ive pondered for a while.....what's the difference between someone who lives in the van by choice versus someone who lives in their van by circumstance? or dumpster dives.

I actually wanted to start a poll/thread and ask how many on here are doing it by choice vs circumstance and get perspectives on the freedom they feel and overall happiness to see if the differences. Alas I couldn't find a poll option lol to make it a little more private.

bardo said:

The difference between someone who backpacks on the Appalachian Trail and someone who "camps" in the homeless tent city next to the highway exit.

stay on subject. if you want to discuss the difference between some who chooses to live in a van vs some one who is forced into it, start your own thread. and dumpster diving, what? stop it. highdesertranger

The wild, weird and wonderful is out there. Up around the bend, over the hill, down a side street. Towns with glass beaches, stores with front window displays of food and table settings carved from rock, spotting a pyramid home with Egyptian statues, deserted mining towns filled with antiques. Musty libraries to modern. Curio shops filled to the brim with antiques and nostalgia. Old style arcades and billiard halls, memories of a misspent youth. Main Street small town, reliving different eras through the architecture. From the wild west, swinging 60s, fabulous 50s, roaring 20s, you can relive it all in a small town. Reconnecting with our forefathers and history. Scenic towns near a river, taking a dip in shallow pools between rapids flowing over smoothed rocks on a hot day. Discovering the wild west in restored towns, stopping for pear cactus ice cream. Reliving the golden era of cinema in old theaters. Here's looking at you, kid. Saloons that harbored the life of the town, criminals, fights, and brothels. Slide me down a whisky, will you bartender?Seacoast towns with decrepit wharfs, thick with the smell of the sea, chilling breezes and hearty chowder to warm your gizzards. Yes small towns have charm, history, grace, vibe, warmth and comfort. Gossip and small minds too. ;).Well,  I was born in a small town, another boring romantic, that's me.