Anyone else nervous about quitting a perfectly good job (by society's standards)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow Gypsy - I'm definitely living the "Ground Hog Day" effect right now.  In fact, I was talking to someone on the elevator about this the other day.  I even park in the same spot that I've been parking in for almost 20 years;  one day seems like the next, and the weeks and months blend in together.  I have started to change this by selling the house I've lived in for 22 years, so soon my life will be different as I move to a temporary place.  Just have to figure out the next step, but the temporary place will give me some time to figure it out.

Queen - If I wait much longer, I'll be just like your friends.

VanKitten - I think that's my biggest fear - that I end up being in my 80's or 90's regretting all the things I could have done, but didn't.  Or, retiring later in life and dying within a year.  Not sure which is worse.

slynne - Seems like most people outside these community can't wrap their head around the concept of van or even RV living.  One of the biggest hurdles I face is getting people to get over that Saturday Night Live sketch where "Matt Foley" (Chris Farley) talks about "living in a van down by the river".   Have they ever tried it?  Sounds great to me.

mco65 - I had the same plan, but now I'm starting to consider maybe a year or so earlier than 59.5.  I was surprised to discover that it's doable now instead of waiting another year.

I would echo the sentiment of avoiding "all or none thinking."   Also, I learned that unpleasant circumstances become more tolerable when you realize you are in control, that you have options.  I used to be terrified in social settings, but I knew I needed to overcome that mindset.  Fortunately, my job forced me into one of those situations.  Despite having lots of anxiety, I recognized that life was more fun when you join the dance.  So I made it a goal to become more social.  This sounds silly, but I always wore an outfit with pockets, and I put my car key in my pocket.  When I would feel anxious, I would just touch the key and remind myself that I could leave anytime I wanted to.  Knowing I had a well thought out and viable exit strategy helped then, and it helps now.  

Keep in mind that you don't have to give up WORKING if the real problem is the current job.  You can work other jobs.  You can find jobs that are mobile.  So many people are doing that these days.  FB forums abound on the topic.   If you are great at what you do, it may be very possible to negotiate with your current employer to restructure your job to 1) eliminate or minimize the nonsense you hate and 2) make it somewhat more of a mobile position, even if only in short bursts.

I've learned to ask questions, with the assumption that everything is possible.  Don't assume the employer won't cooperate.  Ask yourself, "If I were in the boss's chair, what concerns would I have about permitting these changes?"  Figure out the answer, and in your presentation, show how you doing what you want to do is ultimately in their best interest.  I don't know enough specifics about your situation to say for certain it would work, but I've helped an awful lot of people figure it out.  Feel free to reach out directly if you want to dig deeper into the topic.

HoneyGayle - Good advice and thanks for the offer.  I'm in the process of selling my house (hoping everything goes through) and downsizing.  The plan is to move to a much smaller temporary place for at least 6 months, which will give me time to complete the downsizing and figure out what I want to do from here.  It will also give me a chance to build up my savings a little more.  I thought it was going to be tough to let go of stuff, but I've already started to sell to people and I'm surprised how easy it's been to let go, even of some things that had a little sentimental value.

Yes! I just left a perfectly good paying awful job, and sold my house (for a pittance) and now I am seriously questioning my sanity. My plan to just "pick up" jobs on my travels hasn't been panning out so well. Need to pin down some other possibilities...

BigT said:
I've been thinking a lot about quitting my job and running away, but the thing that stops me lately is the insane cost of private health insurance.  :s

Well, it looks like the decision to quit my job was just made for me..  

Memorial Day weekend I got into a really minor crash, more like a fall, on my recumbent bicycle, and ended up tearing two tendons in my right shoulder.  
I have surgery at the end of July.  Problem is, the PT and recovery will take so long, I won't have a job when I get back...  My Kaiser will run out 3 months after I leave to have the surgery and I'll have to get COBRA ($$$) if I want to complete my PT with the same therapist.  

I'm hoping the disability checks will help to offset the cost of the health insurance, but that only lasts 6 months.  After that I'm told I have to apply for SSDI.  
I'm told that's a lot less money.  I have zero experience applying for either and have no idea where to start.  :s

Unfortunately I won't have time to run away as I'll be in PT and recovery for at least 6 months.  I hear it can take a full year to get back to 100%.  

I guess it just goes to show that nothing last forever, there are no guarantees, and nothing is for certain.  

Fortunately I've been putting money into a "rainy day fun" for years, so I'm in no danger of becoming homeless.

Wow, this sure has been an enlightning read, I am on the edge of what to do, should I stay or should I go, just reading everybodys thoughts here has been a real eye opener. Its amazing to me how many are feeling the same as me, hate my job, great pay , feeling locked in, just this ever present feeling that there has got to be more to life than this, tried the the small rv trips for a weekend or even a week at a time, and absolutely loved it. It was then that I knew i wanted to do the van life , I guess it boils down to fear, fear of the unknown, fear of breaking down, fear of money, fear of harm, fear of health, fear of not sure what to do next. I think I am close to making it out of here, Im 51 now, and am so  ready to break free, not sure whats keeping me, but 4hank you to all who posted here, I really loved to hear I am not alone on this question of stay or go,,,,,, take care,,,,,,,

RemodeledVan.JPGI have been disabled for quite some time now but in the last two years have improved enough that I know I can do this lifestyle, which I have been planning to do since I was 17.  I am now 65, husband 66.  So, we could have taken off at any point starting 1 year ago when hubby got Medicare.  I think if I were 58 I would hold out, at least until they answer this medical insurance war and then decide.

While hubby has job with benefits he makes nowhere near what he made before we changed states several years back.  We would likely do better savings by being on the road now (because we rent).  But we are looking at it from a different perspective.  The longer he works the higher his monthly Social Security check will be so we are trying to hold off but I think he's going to be 68 when we leave and not 70.  I don't want to wait too long because it shortens the time we will be on the road and who knows what will happen.  I have mentally moved the takeoff date to the fall of 2018.

I agree with a few others to get out on the weekends and I bet by now you might even have something like 3 weeks vacation available?  If so, try out 3 weeks before trying out full time.  Hubby, me and a large dog lived in our Class B for a month when we got to Colorado before finding housing which we moved into on what turned out to be the first day of snow for the season.  I think 2 adults and 1 large dog in a Class B were fine for summer spring and fall but not for winter.  One person - for sure if the class B (only with high top to stand in) has good storage.  If I were single and one dog I would for sure get a class B (we've owned 2) but now we are going for a short under 25' trailer, short width (7') and a slide.  What I like about the B for a single is you don't have to have help parking, you can do U-turns, park almost anywhere but most important, you don't have to get out of the vehicle to go to bed so those keys to driving away in danger are really close.

You could always find a local RV park to rent while you continue to work until you know for sure, then you have every weekend to try it out for travel.

Good luck - these are hard decisions but nice you are in a position to make them.

Attachments

• RemodeledVan.JPG
    RemodeledVan.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 7
I look at it pragmatically. I don't plan on buying health insurance. I'll just show up at hospitals that have to help the indigent. If it turns out to be cancer or worse I'll commit a minor federal crime plead guilty and get healthcare from the system. If it's terminal I'll make an exit bag and off myself rather then suffer.

Another thing, I've faced some pretty horrific and gruesome events in my lifetime, some that would have destroyed some people. BUT you know what bothers me more then any of those events? Not taking the chance to have a better life because of societal norms or falling into the trap that something bad might happen.

RE: Expensive Private Health Insurance.

If you are so inclined, go to healthcare.gov and do a preliminary assessment.

I saw rates in in the $60 to $800 range per month depending on the circumstances I entered, and the plans I 'chose'.

I ended up signing up for a middle-of-the-road plan for about $170 per month.

I wont go into my circumstances but in the future I will probably be able to bring it down to half of that per month.

Just sayin...

To be honest, after getting laid-off from my last job which I had worked at for about 18 years; after informing my boss that I wanted to retire 1/1/2016, I'm cynical about the phrase "perfectly good job".... Of course, I'm old enough to have some SS income and getting laid-off qualified me for unemployment, which I've just now used up. 

But I've gained a new respect for younger people who are CHOOSING to quit being a cog in the corporate machine.  Especially if it frees them up to follow their dreams.  My respect extends to those who aren't living off of someone else.  

My $0.02   (now worth a dime) 

Pat

Pat, have you ever noticed the financially successful guys and gals with a 'golden parachute' never become full-time van-dwellers?

(I think I have heard of one that did...a successful baseball pitcher)

But...I do have a little nest-egg: its more of a small, ripped, cotton hankie with 4 pieces of shoestring!

:p

And then there is the you create your own reality scenerio. If you think you will get sick you likely will, if you believe you never will or that eating right will cure you there you go. After a stroke I ran away from all the doctors who wanted to keep testing me every few weeks for one thing or another (I left the state and the good insurance). I had memory problems and believed if I ate enough mushrooms my brain would rewire correctly and it did in time. Well, as correct as this strange being will ever get, I have always been the crazy black sheep type who wants to do wierd stuff like live in a van or trailer.

RoadtripsAndCampfires said:
And then there is the you create your own reality scenerio.

Yeh, I see a LOT of that on the Internet.........

I have a good job by todays standards...especially well some may say for the work and complexity of it in relation to compensation. However...I wouldnt care if I was fired or laid off. Morale of the place and the double standards is not worth what Im paid. youre merely a number, hard workers are punished and slackers are rewarded. Even if I never hit the road, not the place of employment I want to continue to be at.

You know what I miss? (well besides the paycheck)

I miss the people I worked with. I miss that daily interaction...

:(

I have just done this!!!!! I am 41 years old and I just up and quit... I think you should proceed with your plan. I am starting my Stepvan build next week to travel the country!! Can't wait to get going! Check it out on YouTube. Full Stepvan build coverage coming soon. It will be an awesome adventure. I hope you do follows through with it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tx2sturgis said:
You know what I miss? (well besides the paycheck)

I miss the people I worked with. I miss that daily interaction...

:(

I missed that for a while, now I'm happier being away from people than ever before in my life.  I was wondering if retirement/quitting work allows you to become who you were supposed to be all along; all the false rules and requirements we've dealt with since we were tiny little kids fall away and we have to figure out who we are.  For me, I'm not really the extrovert I thought I was, it was situational.  I still need some social interaction, but a little computer time and very occasional face to face time takes care of that.

I work from home, alone, with co-workers in NY and Cal. I'm getting in the van to go out and meet people.

Latest posts