Anyone dwelling in an e150 conversion / camper?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJJVANLIFER

Reaction score
Just seeing if there's anyone out there doing it and what issues they are faced with with little, medium, and full build outs..  I have mine pretty well set up.. Ive been in since January, but would be interested in seeing others so I can make the final decision on a hard build.. Thanks hope everyone is well..

That's what I drive. I guess I'd describe it as a medium build. It was a fancy mid-hightop conversion passenger van that was mostly already insulated with fabric covered walls ,big slider windows and a fold-down bed at the back.

BJ I removed your last post it was just a copy of your first post.

Highdesertranger

I'm traveling full time in a 2001 E150.

My "build" consists of a platform bed, 3 thrift store dressers, and various plastic totes. I have a 12v refrigerator, hitch cargo carrier, and a Clam pop-up shelter that I put up for a kitchen/sitting area when I'm going to be planted in one spot for more than a couple days. It's basically a cargo van carrying camping-related cargo. Suits me fine - I like the flexibility and the price is right.

I'm getting rooftop solar soon, and am hoping to find someone to reverse my passenger seat.

the lack of gray/black water tanks prevents me from camping in some places, but that doesn't really bother me. It's not worth the expense of adding tanks to a 20-yo vehicle.

jacqueg said:
...the lack of gray/black water tanks prevents me from camping in some places, but that doesn't really bother me. It's not worth the expense of adding tanks to a 20-yo vehicle.

Adding a 12-15 gall. combo tank is one of the upgrades I'm considering for my van. The spare tire is in the way and would need to be relocated to the front so that complicates things.

PS to OP: I have 180 watts of solar and did have two 12 volt RV batteries but I'm redoing the system to use just one battery. The high top and conversion trim adds 900 lbs. to a stock E150 and with all the stuff I've been hauling around it has been a little overloaded. The newer E150s have been upgraded to the same GVWR as an E250, so it shouldn't be a problem for the later models.

If you will be full-timing, it's amazing how much weight you can accumulate. I only travel half the year and take along just too much stuff!

I have an E-250. It's currently parked because the transmission blew up and I'm broke.

Sorry to hear that JRR. Unfortunately, the weak spot for most older vans is the transmission.

Were you towing anything with it? Also, what year is yours and how many miles on it?

highdesertranger said:
BJ I removed your last post it was just a copy of your first post.

Highdesertranger
[quote pid='524977' dateline='1613741425']

Because I put January instead of September.. lol I thought it just edited it not posted again.
[/quote]

I haven't even built the bed frame and storage yet, but pulled the mechanical bed and put a floor in, and have my storage bins and cooler under my matress and foam mattress. It's Janky but it's so damn comfortable. I'm hoping when the bed frame is built it will be HALF as comfortable.

I use a rice cooker through a jackery 500 for the best breakfast sandwiches, jamacian jerk chicken soup / rice and beans.. Tacos on the fly.. it's amazing and less work than a reg butane set up. Although I'm looking to grab a 3 burner butane stove that sets into a shelf system with a tank and sink next to it. That's the next step I guess is building that. I have so much wasted space.

But it works, Ive been in since the beginning of sept, just not wanting to pay rent during Covid and hopefully situating some bills etc.

As everyone else I plan on traveling a but once it warms up a little.

There is no real reason to build if you are happy with what you have. We got along just fine using 4 20”x30” totes with a cut piece of 1/2” plywood 30”x80” on top so you could slide out a tote without disturbing the bed.

bullfrog said:
We got along just fine using 4 20”x30” totes with a cut piece of 1/2” plywood 30”x80” on top...

An advantage to that is being able to easily rearrange your floorplan. I'm trying to decide on placement of a larger fridge and camp chair and have temporarily removed the bed from behind the DS seat. I just may go the bin route.

It works for now but I'm not the neatest or most organized. So the sooner the better. To be honest. There's so much anxiety with this lifestyle, yet I always sleep the best and wake pretty happy.

Ive Been planning for a couple of years and looked around. In hindsight a 4x4 would've been better and less windows, but this suits me fine for now. Ive Had friends tell me to sell it because it's in immaculate condition. Ive thought about it just to get a higher clearance more stealthy van. My van is luxury on wheels. But it's a full time van so I think sturdy is better.

I just stayed local to get used to it. I still need to get out of the van a bit more, I just dont trust leaving it much out of eve shot.
I'm not the most mechanically it inclined either so I have to try and work on checking fluids more often and being aware of what need to be done and when

I recently picked up a 150 with fiberglass high top. I am in layout stage... made cardboard cabinets to help visualize more accurately and make place for appliances.

I am likely going with this futtony flip out bed/ couch. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08N4X2VYL/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

i will put behind driver set and fold it out into a bed that goes to the side door... a snug fit. I also will have to raise it up in some fashion so I am not sleeping a mere 12 inches off the floor.. and to also allow for all that great under storage. There are a couple cheaper variations and even one that is a single size bed/ chair....

Hiker/biker Darwin onthetrail youtube channel travels out of one of those and put out a new video showing the inside..I like it.

slow2day said:
Sorry to hear that JRR. Unfortunately, the weak spot for most older vans is the transmission.

Were you towing anything with it? Also, what year is yours and how many miles on it?
I wasn't towing anything.  It's a 1995 model.  It had about 160k miles when I bought it, I put less than a thousand miles on it before it blew up.  It just started smoking and began to lose power.  I have it parked at a friend's house while I am saving up to get it fixed.  It's been parked since November.  Cost me $400 to get it towed.

Update.. I just ripped the ceiling, labeled all of the wires.. The van is a total mess as I'm doing it while living in it..

One thing I have noticed is the incredible amount of space In the crack of the top of the rear doors! Also in the passenger side door openings..

Also what's a good way to plan for electrical.. One battery is good? I want to put light switches for the ceiling lights with possibly a dimmer. Im probably going to do the ceiling first and add a fan too. Is there anything I'm missing?

Any and all responses appreciated-

slow2day said:
Adding a 12-15 gall. combo tank is one of the upgrades I'm considering for my van. The spare tire is in the way and would need to be relocated to the front so that complicates things.

PS to OP: I have 180 watts of solar and did have two 12 volt RV batteries but I'm redoing the system to use just one battery. The high top and conversion trim adds 900 lbs. to a stock E150 and with all the stuff I've been hauling around it has been a little overloaded. The newer E150s have been upgraded to the same GVWR as an E250, so it shouldn't be a problem for the later models.

If you will be full-timing, it's amazing how much weight you can accumulate. I only travel half the year and take along just too much stuff!
I always wondered how heavy all that conversion crap was. No wonder most of the older vans I see are down in the back. A leaf spring upgrade of some sort may be needed even after taking out the folding sofa/bed and middle seats.

Yeah in 2008 they made E150's within 50-100 pounds of the E250 to avoid CAFE standards. 
From Edmunds Auto Reviews: "The 2008 Ford Econoline Cargo addresses many of our complaints by modernizing the handling dynamics with a revised front and rear suspension, more refined steering and an all-new braking system. These changes promise to elevate the drivability and ride of Ford's vans to a level similar to the Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana twins and Dodge's Sprinter, its chief rivals that have already received engineering upgrades in recent years. ...[size=medium]The turning circle is enormous, and body roll in turns is akin to that of a commercial fishing boat riding out a squall."[/size]

And from: https://www.auto123.com/en/news/2008-ford-e-150-review/41013/?page=2
Greater payload
"In 2007, Ford subtly chose to standardize production of the E-Series. As a result, all models are now built on the stronger E-250 Heavy Duty chassis, allowing the base E-150 to offer greater payload capacity than comparable vans from GM and Chrysler.

For 2008, the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of the E-150 went from 14,050 to 14,500 pounds. Besides, the automaker says that the four-wheel disc brakes with ABS benefit from upgraded, more durable components."
(End of copied portion.)