Anyone doing Amazon Kentucky?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltySeaWitch

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone would be working for Amazon in KY this year. I will be there and would love to meet anyone else that will be working the season there :) 

Also, if anyone has a suggestion for which campground to pick that would be appreciated. I have to decide by weekend. 

Thanks!

SSW, I will not be doing the Amazon thing but I am glad to see you post. been missing you. highdesertranger

My father and I are heading to KY in his 5th wheel. It's both of our first times. He's retired and disabled. Not quite sure if he can make it through to Dec, but only one of us has to work to hold onto the campsite. we were hoping for the campground right across the street, but I'm told that they don't take reservations. First come, first served. So that's probably not going to happen. We're starting mid September.

Madpeep, what is the name of the across-the-street campground at Amazon Kentucky?

I don't know the name of it, but the Amazon facility is located at 1050 S Columbia Ave, Campbellsville. Might help you find it

highdesertranger said:
SSW,  I will not be doing the Amazon thing but I am glad to see you post.  been missing you.  highdesertranger

Hey HDR!! Sorry that I have been MIA. Life gets in the way sometimes. I've had some personal stuff going on. Missed you too Squishy  :heart: :D

Madpeep said:
My father and I are heading to KY in his 5th wheel. It's both of our first times. He's retired and disabled. Not quite sure if he can make it through to Dec, but only one of us has to work to hold onto the campsite. we were hoping for the campground right across the street, but I'm told that they don't take reservations. First come, first served. So that's probably not going to happen. We're starting mid September.

Hi Madpeep, I spoke to Brian, aka, Adventure Van Man, who was there last year and will be there this year. He stayed at Green River Stables and said they are van friendly and really nice people. That is where I plan to stay. I hear Amazon is brutal but I am just going to push myself and think of the end result. I requested the mid shift. What did you ask for? Hope to see you there!

kheiser said:
Madpeep, what is the name of the across-the-street campground at Amazon Kentucky?

Here ya go:
Address: 278 Heartland Drive
Campbellsville, KY
(Across the street from Amazon)
Phone: 270-789-6886
Heartland RV Park
This campground is conveniently located just across the street from Amazon, but does not take reservations. They offer over 100 50-amp FHU sites, Wi-Fi, a laundry facility, shower house and lounge area. Heartland Is FIRST COME/FIRST SERVED for our CamperForce associates.

I'm a night owl. Hence me posting this at 1:20am. I'm going for the night shift 5pm-3:30am. Mid shift is 12:15pm-10:45pm. I've been going out walking for a few miles a couple times a week. I used to hike quite a bit, but I've gained weight over the last few years. I'll hopefully drop a few pounds before Amazon and continue losing more throughout the fall/winter. sports authorities all over the country are shutting down. Worth a visit if you need walking shoes.

Hey SSW, nice to see your post. Good thoughts out to you for sure.
One day I might make it to Amazon but not this year. :-/

Peep's got a good point about good shoes , you'll be on your feet a LOT !

An old trick from my bar waitressing days - change your shoes every couple of hours, at least every 4, when working on your feet for long periods of time. Rotating at least 2 pairs of dissimilar shoes will keep the muscles from cramping up.

And make sure that the shoes you're wearing provide adequate support. I'd suggest good hiking shoes. I used to wear cheap sneakers from W/M all the time and go through 3 or 4 pairs of shoes a year and have my feet hurting by the end of a regular day. No way could I have done a 12 hour shift anywhere. Now I wear nothing but my good Merrell hikers and get 3 years out of them. Yes, the initial cost is high but actually cheaper in the long run.

People online who've worked Amazon before have suggested running shoes or tennis shoes. Basically shoes designed to survive hours of abuse.

I totally agree with you on Merrell. My last pair lasted about 5 years. Although they should've probably been replaced after 3.5-4 years. Still, great boots. I finally got around to getting another pair of merrell's about two months ago. I almost caved and bought a cheaper boot, but wisdom prevailed

Almost There: A fellow bartender/waitress :) I started tending bar before I could legally drink. 16 years old. I can't imagine my kids doing that buy I was fortunate to learn it and be able to support myself and later, my kids from it. Haven't done it in a few years but I sure did make good money when I did. I know the wear and tear on your feet and body from it. Still my favorite type of work to do. Good advice. Thanks.

Madpeep said:
I'm a night owl. Hence me posting this at 1:20am. I'm going for the night shift 5pm-3:30am. Mid shift is 12:15pm-10:45pm. I've been going out walking for a few miles a couple times a week. I used to hike quite a bit, but I've gained weight over the last few years. I'll hopefully drop a few pounds before Amazon and continue losing more throughout the fall/winter. sports authorities all over the country are shutting down. Worth a visit if you need walking shoes.

Hey Madpeep, I can do 5pm to 3;30 no problem, I am used to those hours from tending bar, but once the OT comes on heavy, I don't want to be working past 3:30 am. I cannot stay awake all night anymore. at least not sober :D  If I do mid shift I can still work over and be able to stay til 3 am if needed without problems. I cannot sleep during the day, I can't even nap, never have been able to, so 3rd shift is out for me.

I am really out of shape and have gained weight too. I am working at a factory/warehouse right now and my job is similar to "picker' at Amazon but not as much walking. It is a pretty big place but I imagine nowhere near the size of Amazon. I have lost zero pounds so far walking up and down stairs for merchandise :huh:

It is an hour at least to Sports Authority so I doubt I will make it there but if get that far from home I will check out their shoes. I will be flat broke when I hit Kentucky so what I have will have to do. I have newer shoes and inserts that dont seem to help much. Losing weight would help more than anything. I stress eat so when I get away from here, I should lose weight. I am looking forward to meeting you Madpeep :)
Matlock said:
Hey SSW, nice to see your post. Good thoughts out to you for sure.
One day I might make it to Amazon but not this year.   :-/

Hey Matlock!! I may actually make it to RTR next year so maybe I will see ya there maybe?? Hope all is well with you. Thanks for the positive vibes. Life has been a serious struggle lately so I will take them :D
rvpopeye said:
Peep's got a good point about good shoes , you'll be on your feet a LOT !

I'm normally used to it but until recently I have had non physically demanding jobs. It's gonna hurt me but I am pretty tough. i will make it :)

From what I understand, overtime at Amazon is in the form of additional days, not longer hours. They don't want you working more than 10 hours a day. They also won't let you work more than 60 hours a week. so no matter how busy they get, you will get some time off. Although just about everyone says that your day off is spent doing laundry, shopping for food, and trying to stay off your feet! I certainly wouldn't mind the mid shift either. I simply chose nights because I wanted as much overtime as possible since it's probably the least requested time, it might give me an edge. I'll obviously learn a lot from this experience and I fully expect to be a regular in years to come. I don't have any savings, retirement, or 401k or anything like that. I'll need to make money as I go. Amazon seemed like a great place to start

Last year in TN, we started in Nov, just before peak, and did 4 x 10hr days.  At peak we did 5 x 10hr days.  Then they would say 11 hour days and then up to 12 hour days.  No more than 60 hours, Camperforce weren't required to work more than 50 hours, so those extra (after 10) hours weren't required by us.  Most did them because they gave gift cards to those who did.  The point being that you will most likely be asked to work 12 hours per day during peak.  

Re the shoes, I had awesome hiking boots that I'd hiked all over Chaco canyon with and they were well broken in.  Didn't matter.  It turns out I have bunions and arthritis in my toe joints and while the hiking boots were ok for what I used them for, they were totally wrong for Amazon.  I ended up getting New Balance sneakers with orthotic inserts and it was night and day.  Cured in an instant!  I still have bunions and arthritis, but I can walk 10 miles without pain!  My point with all that is to encourage you to get your own feet checked before you go if you possibly can.  Make sure you have no physical problems with your feet.  If I had only known that I had bunions I would have gone with the right footwear to begin with.  I lived 55 years without realizing that my feet were deformed!  LOLOL

Oh, and stock up on Epsom salts!

So if you worked over 50 hours during peak, you received gift cards in addition to overtime pay? I'm guessing they were really short staffed? Do you mind telling us how much the gifts cards were for? I doubt I'll pass up the overtime anyway, but I'm curious. Thanks for your response.

Which style of NB did you get? I wish I had insurance to get my feet checked but I dont. 

Madpeep I was also told up to 12 hr shifts. And I prefer that to more days. You get gift cards for production amounts too. I guess lots of incentives so that's good. It all helps. I'm in the same boat with needing to work, no retirement etc.

The gift cards that they handed out as incentive prizes were mostly $25 visa giftcards.  Some $15 ones as well.  The ones for working all the mandatory overtime (ie 50 or 60 hours whatever they had scheduled as mandatory for their workers) were $100, so those added up during peak.  Figure 3, maybe 4 of those.  As far as being understaffed?  I got the impression it was normal during peak.

Re the New Balance, I have 840v3 running shoes.  For me though it was more important the width of the shoe and New Balance specializes in wider widths.  I needed a wiiiiiide toe box but a narrower heel and these were perfect for that.  Everyone is different though, so it's hard to say if you need something so specific.  If I couldn't go to a podiatrist, I'd go online and look at pictures of a "normal" foot and see how mine compared.  Actually that's what I did and THEN went to the podiatrist just to get it documented in my medical records.  I like to have a good idea of what is wrong with me before I go to a doctor because with a 15 minute appointment you can't count on ANYONE to diagnose anything.  And if I can take care of the problem, whatever it might be WITHOUT going to a doctor even better.

Bottom line SSW, is just get uber comfortable shoes (running or hiking whatever works best for you) and maybe two pairs like AT suggested and if you think you might have any issues with your feet do your research.  And of course the epsom salts!  Soaking your feet after a long shift is a perfect way to segue into sleep mode.

I won't be working at Amazon but can recommend a good shoe for long hours. I've had a pair of Meindl's for going on six years. Same pair. They have a cork footbed that conforms to your exact foot shape and it's hands down the best shoe i've ever owned. I owned them for two years before becoming disabled and they hiked 100's of miles all over Yosemite and Glacier as well as numerous other smaller parks. My feet took a huge beating with the Lyme and developed uclers over 70% of them, now healed but I don't think I would have made it through with out these comfortable shoes!

They're expensive but they sure do last. Getting ready to order my new pair soon. They have lots of different styles/types. Hiking, walking, hunting boots, etc

These are what I have
http://www.cabelas.com/product/MEIN...CQ_search=meindl&CQ_st=b&categoryId=734095080

StarEcho said:
Re the New Balance, I have 840v3 running shoes.  For me though it was more important the width of the shoe and New Balance specializes in wider widths.  I needed a wiiiiiide toe box but a narrower heel and these were perfect for that.  

I have the same foot type with the narrow heel and wide toe area. I'm going to try those NB..Thanks a lot!

The gift cards are a nice extra!! Appreciate the inside info..

Latest posts