Anybody use a BAL tire leveler?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosiemartinez1211

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying this BAL Leveler. 
A little pricey but supposed to make leveling your camper much easier. 
Just wondered if it was worth it.  Thanks

Attachments

• 41bDnbrkoiL.jpg
    41bDnbrkoiL.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 8
Not sure what vehicle you have. Seems to me like it would be a lot of work to set up, maybe ok if you're staying in one place for awhile and have limited ability to just move the vehicle until its level. Also think about where you would put it when not in use. I have the plastic pads that look kind of like Lego's. I don't use them often but they work when needed.
Hope this helps
:)

I have a Bal leveler, it is heavy but it does work. I am traveling solo with a small trailer so it has some advantages versus trying to run the trailer up onto a stack of blocks. With a partner it is easy to do the block system as you have one person outside saying "when".

But the Bal leveler does not work well on softer ground such as sand without putting a piece of plywood down first. Between the extra weight of it and the fact that it does have its limits I am not convinced it was worth the price versus other methods of leveling. I f I was trying to level a van I would not buy one, but for my very light weight small trailer it works out OK for much of the time but not all of the time.

HDR. We noticed you did not put those rocks back in the same location and at least one of them was upside down. We corrected this discrepancy but urge you to use more care in the future.

maki2 said:
I have a Bal leveler, it is heavy
 but for my very light weight small trailer it works out OK for much of the time but not all of the time.

Exactly what I needed to know.
I'm going to start with the blocks first to see how I do.
I won't be alone so that was something I hadn't thought about.

Thank you!

When you first asked I hadn't thought about a trailer. I don't know anything about them but if I had one I think I would try scissor jacks, or one jack and a couple of jack stands. That would get it up of the suspension. That would keep the trailer from moving while you move around inside and there handy to have if needed for repair work :)

AnFear said:
When you first asked I hadn't thought about a trailer. I don't know anything about them but if I had one I think I would try scissor jacks, or one jack and a couple of jack stands. That would get it up of the suspension. That would keep the trailer from moving while you move around inside and there handy to have if needed for repair work :)

Yes, I had responded to you that I had a pop-up camper and was planning stays longer than a couple of days, but somehow it didn't go thru  :blush:

You don't have to worry about him putting rocks back in the right place. He carries them around in his head but sometimes people throw them at him so he pretty much has a renewable source ;)

yeppers I love rocks. especially the kind of rock that has that gold color to it or in it. mind you those never get used to level the vehicle unless I am trying to hide them from all you high graders. highdesertranger

AnFear said:
You would not put the trailer up off the suspension unless you are staying in one place for a very long time.  When you are on the road you leave the wheels on the ground or sitting on blocking or resting in the frame of the BAL leveler and the primary load of the trailer is resting on the wheels and transferfed down onto the ground.

The stabilizer jacks that are used for trailers when you are parked at a campsite are not meant to carry the primary weight of the trailer. They are there to keep the trailer from becoming a see-saw on the fulcrum point of the axle when you walk from the front end to the back. When unhitched the tongue jack is stabilizing the front end and typically a pair of jacks, one on each side, is used very close to the rear of the trailer. When hitched but parked and going in and out of the trailer it is still a good idea to use the stabilizer jacks just in case the catch on the ball in the tongue gets unlatched for whatever reason.

I had one when we pulled a pop-up tent trailer. It would lift/level well enough but the trailer still had some rock due to suspension flex. I had the best and easiest results using a two-ton floor jack to lift/level at the frame.
Rock steady.

We had one for our pop-up. Although it was not a necessity, we were happy to have it. It made leveling easier. If you have to have doors and things line up being level is especially important. It was an easy way to level and stabilize. It was heavy and bulky. We no longer have the pop-up but I would buy it again if I got another small trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk