Anybody Temping With A CDL?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcurtin1962

Reaction score
Been thinking of traveling south and west while temping as a truck driver. I have double/triple and tanker endorsements but no experience. I would also renew my hazmat. I have twenty years experience with van/reefer and containers . Anybody out there doing this?

wcurtin1962, I think that a tough one. Most companies want a CDL, DOT Physical and so on from the state you operate in, though I wouldn't say impossible. That makes it difficult if you travel. Sadly the National CDL that was rumored decades ago never came through. There are temp companies for drivers. One used to be TransLabor Leasing out of California back in the 1990s. They had no trucks, just provided drivers for trucking companies. Be warn, temp drivers always got the worst loads, but with temp agencies you're more likely to be home each night. Many of these trucking companies also use temp agencies because their workers comp got too high from drivers getting hurt, I'll let you guess why.

good luck, skinny side up

"Getting home" every night is part of my plan to avoid the parking hassle. Plus, I have a dog. I lived in trucks for years drove thru a lot of places without seeing anything. I rather pay for a campsite then spend all my time sleeping in the pounding noise of truck stops. And at the end of the day have my Ranger to drive around in stead of being stuck at a truck stop.

at work we use a temp driver every now and then. we pay by the hour. wouldn't be too bad they kind of dictate what they will and will not do

I get it, I've been to 48 states and Canada but didn't see anything until I stop driving trucks. Saw one guy that manage to keep a small motorcycle behind the sleeper, added a couple hundred pounds to the drive wheels I'm sure.

Temps where paid by the hour, the company I knew about used all local drivers. And something about a 120 air mile radius so no log books, but not sure if I remember the 120 miles right but along with being on the clock, meant a log book exemption under DOT. Keep in mind this is stuff from 30 years ago, so not sure what's going on out there today.

One option I came up with when I drove OTR, was to keep a motorcycle in a storage locker. I found a company that did east coast turns, so after each run there was time off. I'd get my bike and go where I wanted for three or four days. Sometimes I stay on the beach, others the city, but mostly packed a sleeping bag and tent to the front forks and camped in the desert. Didn't bother with a house or an apartment, didn't see the point being gone so much. Of course that wouldn't work with a dog, but you could do the same with your Ranger if your idea doesn't pan out.

One more idea to help keep your sanity. If I was stuck somewhere for days waiting on a load, I'd sometimes rent a cheap car and take off. This would be much easier today with cell phones. Used to be a car rental called Ugly Duckling. You could rent used cars cheap. Even manage to get a speeding ticket once in one, while waiting to start a new job.

broken ed said:
companies want a CDL, DOT Physical and so on from the state you operate in
I would think just like the legal domicile address issue, pick your "home base" state and have a cover story why you're currently / "temporarily" looking for work away from "home".

Should even be able to pick up long-distance work that way I'd think, given their shortages these days?

John61CT said:
Should even be able to pick up long-distance work that way I'd think, given their shortages these days?

John it's a bit more complicated than that.

Carriers must use government databases (like PSP and CSA scores) and adhere to certain rules when hiring new drivers for interstate commerce. Pre-employment drug and alcohol testing, plus 10 years of job references, a driving skills test, and a DOT physical performed by a Certified Medical Examiner, are just the start.

Some interstate carriers will use contract drivers supplied (and certified by) a third party, but I have not heard of any that will bypass all the regs and hire a 'wildcat' driver off the street without going thru all the mandated procedures. 

If they do, they open themselves up to huge fines and liability claims. 

Local drivers, those under the 150 air-mile rules, and certain others, are often exempt under certain conditions, from some of these requirements.

Suffice to say that, unlike in the old days, you cant just walk in and say, hey, I can drive a truck, and instantly get a job.

Yes of course I meant getting temp work through an agency.

My point was that as long as your "database footprint" hangs together makes you appear to be a normal S&B citizen, just like with the legal domicile issue,

there is no need to think the searching for work part needs to be in that location.

You're visiting a sick relative, need to get some extra money together while you're here, etc.

And presumably once you've proven yourself with an agency, you can let them know you're available for gigs from different locations around the country.

The physicals for drivers at the larger companies have gotten ridiculous because they are worried about who gets added to their health insurance pools. Being a temp you can always find doctors that will work with you to get you thru the federal DOT physical.

A couple of things - in Oregon the doctor has to be certified to give a DOT physical. Not sure if this is a state rule or a federal rule. You don't get to 'pick' your doctor anymore.

Second - do you have flatbed experience? Flatbed loads are HOT right now and rates have been going up since November.

OregonDeb said:
A couple of things - in Oregon the doctor has to be certified to give a DOT physical.  Not sure if this is a state rule or a federal rule.  You don't get to 'pick' your doctor anymore.

For a truck driver who will be driving interstate, they all have to get a DOT physical by a CME, Certified Medical Examiner. This is a federal regulation.

This will include a general physical, (vision, hearing, high blood pressure, diabetes, reflexes, etc), drug screen, medical background, and possibly, (depending on the applicants age and overall condition, BMI, neck size, medical history, etc) a sleep study to check for sleep apnea.

For a TWIC card, hazmat or tanker endorsement,  they will also need a TSA background check.

Yes, the doctor I use is all of the above, DOT is the majority of her practice. I have using C paps for over a decade. Just have to get my right hip dealt with.

Latest posts