anybody know about canoe kits?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildbill

Reaction score
I was sitting around the trailer today with a buddy, talking about a vintage look to the 1972 Shasta Compact 10 X 13 trailer, and we came up with the idea of strapping a canoe to the top....a red one.....damn those canoes are expensive....like $500-700 bucks.....so I am looking for ideas....it has to be light to be lifted up on top of the trailer.

To use, or just for looks?

I think just about any kind of kit only makes financial sense if you think your own time is worth nothing, if you're building something just because you enjoy the process.

MrNoodly said:
To use, or just for looks?

I think just about any kind of kit only makes financial sense if you think your own time is worth nothing, if you're building something just because you enjoy the process.

For both, looks and to use.....it would look so cool though, the trailer is silver and I am going to put a red stripe around it....oh, can't think of the name......the stuff you can peel off if you want to change it......and I am building a screen door from plywood.....painted RED …..and a thought....but possibly a canopy red and black

all the canoe kits and home built canoes i have seen, while very beautiful were very labor intensive to construct and required skill and attention to detail.

watching craigslist can find you a decent canoe for around $200 for an old generic garden variety one. the off season is when you get your best deals

but i agree, if you got the time and skills to put together a hand made canoe, it would look awesome on your rig and in the water

I found one on Craigslist.....$150.....a 2 man.....it's RED lol......man, now I am thinking if I can actually lift the thing up onto the trailer. For looks alone it has bonus points for sure. I am thinking of the configuration of (2) 100 watt panels on one side and the boat on the other.....

You will have to park to keep the canoe from shading the panels but sounds doable.

A quick googling revealed canoe kits run anywhere from about $80 just for plans to over $4,000 for ones with pre-cut wood and all the materials.

yea I would jump on any old red canoe used and cheap and that would give ya a vintage type look and use it when wanted :) very cool what you are doing!! can't wait to see pics of all this!!