Any vanlifers on oxygen?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesprite

Reaction score
According my doctor, I'll eventually have to use oxygen for the rest of my life, so I'm interested in knowing how people manage to do that while in a roaming home.

I saw a report yesterday that because of the number of Covid 19 patients there is a shortage. Probably something to consider.

I have a friend who full times who has 2 Inogen with some extra batteries. She keeps 1 for backup in case the 1 she uses goes bad, and charges the extra batteries with solar with a genset as backup.

Years ago my mom was on oxygen. She had a machine at home that plugged into the wall. If you had solar you might be able to stay away from the green tanks. But the main reason I am commenting is that for living and moving around those oxygen hoses can be found that are really long. My mom moved around a 3 thousand square feet house. So you could move around your campsite easy. You have to consider safety though. NO campfires. Technology has changed since my mom though. I bet the machine’s are smaller and more energy efficient. I would really like to see how you future set up is.

Depends on what amount of oxygen you need, how often you need it, and what your insurance is willing to pay for. Some people will not be able to use the smaller backpack styles. My spouse had a wheeled, battery powered concentrator and a 120v monster that weighs a ton and is the size of a medium piece of luggage. As she improved they took away the wheeled one. Now we are stuck with the monster which is too heavy to move around easily. At her worst she was pulling a 50' oxygen line around the house. A definite tripping hazard. At night she uses the monster in combination with a cpap machine so we use electric campgrounds only. Had to get used to the sound. A goodly kachunk every couple of seconds along with a steady pump sound.

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't even thought about not being able to have campfires - I love campfires. Before I decided to start using electric campsites, I would sit by the fire most of the night to stay warm, so by the time I go to sleep, the sun is coming up making temps warmer for comfortable sleeping.

I can't even walk and talk at the same time anymore without getting out of breath. This emphysema is thanks to growing up in secondhand smoke.

Sure is an interesting question. I cook, heat, Burn candles to eliminate odors and do a lot more with an open flame that I wouldn’t if I was on O2. Be careful and get creative about what you do. Sounds like an electrical system with an invention burner is in your future.

treesprite said:
According my doctor, I'll eventually have to use oxygen for the rest of my life, so I'm interested in knowing how people manage to do that while in a roaming home.

I'd ask your doctor what concentration and flow you'll need. There are several machines on Amazon that might suit your needs for less than 500 bucks.

bigsallysmom said:
Depends on what amount of oxygen you need, how often you need it, and what your insurance is willing to pay for.  Some people will not be able to use the smaller backpack styles.  My spouse had a wheeled, battery powered concentrator and a 120v monster that weighs a ton and is the size of a medium piece of luggage.  As she improved they took away the wheeled one.  Now we are stuck with the monster which is too heavy to move around easily.  At her worst she was pulling a 50' oxygen line around the house.  A definite tripping hazard.  At night she uses the monster in combination with a cpap machine so we use electric campgrounds only. Had to get used to the sound.  A goodly kachunk every couple of seconds along with a steady pump sound.

... you might want to investigate on amazon if you haven't already because that cannot be doing your QoL any favors.