Any SUV dwellers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend that if it is at all possible do not to rely on a ice chest and especially one of the high end expensive ones.

the reason I say this is because ice chests are expensive and after a year, between the original purchase and a years worth of ice you could have bought a 12v compressor refrigerator and a solar system to run it. you would never need ice again.

believe me, I learned the hard way. I spent a boat load of money trying to avoid buying a 12v refrigerator. I would have been many dollars ahead if I would have just bought a 12v to begin with.

highdesertranger

HDR:
That's valid advise for someone of means who is certain about the lifestyle. The poster specified that she is neither.

A cheap cooler is... cheap!
Small quantities of ice can be obtained for free.
I've never made a town trip just for ice, it's purely a bonus.
You are correct: do the math. If you're constantly running to town for ice, it's far wiser to invest in a long-term food cooling system.

However, a food cooling system is a major investment, and can be deferred, safely.
For the truly budget limited, that money is much better socked away into an Emergency Fund. The rare exception is those who need to refrigerate medicines.

There's lots of us (see the threads above) who have gotten by "adequately" without investing in refrigeration.
Though I'm pretty sure we all envy you fridge-folks. :)
Mmmmm... root beer floats, FTW! :D

Small amounts can be had from most (all?) fast food restaurants and gas stations. Just ask politely. :)

As I've said a few times in various threads, I have a small cooler, and use two large styrofoam soda cups for ice.
When I ask, I hold up both (so they know how much I'll be taking) and have yet to be turned down.
The cups mean there's little to no water to clean up. It's simple, and works.

Yes, I do "want" continuous refrigeration, but I'm getting by fine. :)

I eat much less meat than most, so what's acceptable for me, may not be for everybody.

Next time I hit a bigger town, I'm going to get a fridge pack of root beer, so I can use some of my bummed ice to have a wee treat.
It's been my experience that if one plans little morale boosts like that, and has some no-fridge recipes that are morale boosts, one can be content without a fridge. :)

For someone living in an SUV (or any smaller vehicle), there's big tradeoffs. This is one of the easier ones, IMO & experience.
Granted, I have years of experience doing "motel contracts" with limited or no cooking facilities, so I'm used to it.

I traveled for 3 years in a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, sleeping inside in comfort and living outside as many others have done. But my desire to wander further into the backcountry had me looking for an all-wheel drive SUV. I considered the Subaru Forester and Honda CRV but wanted more room so searched for a Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot. I found a low milage 2006 Pilot and am setting it up now for backcountry travel. For now, I'll fold the rear seats (it has three rows) flat to sleep but will remove the rear two rows eventually for more room, then build a bed platform. I think the Pilot is a fantastic choice for SUV living being mid-size with lots of power and comfort and not bad on fuel. It's proved to be very good offroad too. I'm excited about this new adventure!

I was glad to let my friend put her milk in my ice chest when, after four days of rain, her solar system just went on strike and took her fridge with it. We left the next day -- me to get ice and her to find sun to get her batts recharged.

Just started living out of my Jeep Liberty in July. My son and kitty are also with me. He is in a tent and I sleep comfortably in the back. Moved to Missouri a year ago from Alaska. Lived in St Joseph all last winter and could not wait for lease to be up. You can only camp free for 30 days in MO so heading west and in Texas now. Slowly having maintenance work done on Jeep. Getting it up to par.
Do not think I can go back to sticks n bricks.

Jane\ said:
Just started living out of my Jeep Liberty in July. My son and kitty are also with me. 
 Congrats on being able to utilize such a small area, my wife has a 2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade, and I just don't see how there is enough room to lay flat (we are both 5'10"), but good luck with this arrangement.

I'll be in 2002 Jeep Liberty soon. Starting out in January! My little dog will be with me. All is ready to go now, just helping my parents out with the holidays first.

I spent several years living out of the back of my pickup with a shell and camping out under the stars a lot. There was also a couple years in a tipi and some of my nomadding was off the back of my motorcycle. In recent years Ive  gone to SUVs, Suburbans then a 4 Runner currently. One of my criteria for buying a vehicle is being able to sleep in the back of it, even if I dont do it much these days.

Ive modified them all in some way to make them more useful. Ive built a dog platform in the back of the Suburbans and 4Runner, rather than the common sleeping platform and storage underneath, I dont like cutting down the headroom inside. The platform is roughly 3 feet front to back, and fits inside the wheel wells. It gives room for the dog to lay and see whats going on when driving, storage underneath and on the sides, and I can put my legs underneath it to sleep. I usually have a box of tools and assorted junk on the right side of the middle section, it doesnt interfere with sleeping or the dog moving about in normal use. The middle part has a 3" thick dog bed in it, and I keep blankets and a packing pad to level out the middle to rearmost floor. The folded down seats kill usable space, Ill take them out at some point and make a plywood floor with some storage underneath, and I can eliminate the step in the middle to rear floor that way as well.

I made plywood sides and front and rear panels for the platform, I button it up tight (bolts) when traveling with valuables inside, when around home, I leave the rear panel off and access it from the hatchback door, or leave the front panel off if the cargo rack is mounted in back. It takes about 5 minutes to remove the front panel to get to things to prep it for sleeping. I move stuff from under the platform to the side or the front seat to sleep.

Im not a fan of rooftop storage, beside catching air and potentially affecting fuel mileage, they arent easy to get in to, particularly if one has back problems. I use one of the hitch mounted cargo racks, I modified a folding adapter for the carrier and it raised the cargo rack about a foot, I had problems with the rack dragging on dips, curbs, and ditches in particular. After raising it, it hasnt snagged on anything. The folding adapter also allows a trailer to be towed with the cargo rack in place. I made a wood box on the rack, the size of the rack square, and as wide as the rack. It so far hasnt affected my fuel mileage any that I can tell after several cross country trips and keeps the inside less cluttered. In the summer it houses my small Honda generator to run the house type window AC unit to keep the dog cool when I have to stop and leave her in the truck. It will run about 6-7 hours on ECONO mode if you use a hard start capacitor to make starting the AC easier. Theres still about half the box left for cargo. In winter, its all cargo space. I put trailer lights and the licence plate on the back of the box so its more visible, it plugs into the trailer lights plug in the back of the truck. 

0609161429.jpg

0719161153.jpg

Attachments

• 0609161429.jpg
    0609161429.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 0719161153.jpg
    0719161153.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 22
I have been entertaining the thought of trying some boondocking in my 2003 diesel Excursion 4x4. There is plenty of room in the back if I take out both rows of rear seats, and 12 V outlets throughout. I have two (2) new 1000 CCA batteries up front (mostly for cold starting) so I don't think power would be a problem. I would probably be out for short time periods, so I would freeze plastic 1/2 gallon milk cartons full of water, to prevent the ensuing mess from melting ice in a standard cooler (no Yeti for me).

Ideally, if I were to spend more time in this vehicle, I would move the spare tire to a rear, swing away rack, install a full length roof rack with an ARB awning, and make some reflectix window covers. I would also consider a swivel passenger seat mount, some portable solar panels, and a goal zero unit.

Sounds like a plan. There are lots of similar built out Suburbans to look at as well. Good luck!

trailer-t said:
I reversed my front passenger seat in my Suburban 180 degrees and took out the center console and really liked how it opened up the space.

But I am not going to have anyone riding in that seat.  How is the headspace in an Excursion in the back?  Mine is pretty tight.  T

Mine is a XLT Limited, so it has all the bells and whistles including DVD, rear heat/AC/radio controls. Unless I made it a dedicated unit, I probably won't be pulling all of the plastic panels out, so headroom, and width is limited (I can still easily fit 4x8 sheets of plywood in there).

ckelly78z said:
Mine is a XLT Limited, so it has all the bells and whistles including DVD, rear heat/AC/radio controls. Unless I made it a dedicated unit, I probably won't be pulling all of the plastic panels out, so headroom, and width is limited (I can still easily fit 4x8 sheets of plywood in there).
If I recall correctly the Excursion is substantially longer than a suburban.

Hi, I have GMC Yukon, I added large toolbox on a swing out hitch for more storage. It holds cooler and most stuff. Took out one rear seat for moving around area. Sleep area 24" by 60" platform with 7" of storage underneath.  Mistakes..... I can't sit up/ can pull up my pants after pooping in bucket/ can't stand. I have very little with me and less in actual car. I have 10x10 dome tent which I can only use sometimes because of high winds in the desert.  On rainy days very cramped stuck in car all day.  Been out four months. If I had to start over I would have gotten a van where I can stand up !!!!!   Car camping is very temporary and glorified by those who have not done it much. My experience and option.

Mooma, Very True fact. My Suburban is just used for regular camping when I want to take off for a day or 2 and don't want to hook up the cargo trailer (with a 6' 6" ceiling). The car ceiling height would be a BIG deal for any longer term use. The only way I can think of to work around it is to maybe have one of those camping privacy shelters for the porta potty.
I have a Quickset clam shelter that I have not needed to use yet. t

Mooma said:
Hi, I have GMC Yukon, I added large toolbox on a swing out hitch for more storage. It holds cooler and most stuff. Took out one rear seat for moving around area. Sleep area 24" by 60" platform with 7" of storage underneath.  Mistakes..... I can't sit up/ can pull up my pants after pooping in bucket/ can't stand. I have very little with me and less in actual car. I have 10x10 dome tent which I can only use sometimes because of high winds in the desert.  On rainy days very cramped stuck in car all day.  Been out four months. If I had to start over I would have gotten a van where I can stand up !!!!!   Car camping is very temporary and glorified by those who have not done it much. My experience and option.
This is helpful.  I have been planning on going in my HRV and worry about when I can't put my tent up.  I was planning on getting an SUV  tent and wonder if it is attached to the vehicle whether that would make it less prone to the ravages of the wind.  I somehow have to make this work.   I don't think I will have the option of trading it for a van since its a 2018 and I still owe on it (upside down).

I slept in my Nissan Rogue from Key West to New Orleans for a couple of weeks. I used just a basic coleman camping cot for sleeping (and found it to be actually pretty comfortable!). For full-timing it, you'd probably want to make use of rooftop cargo / trailer hitch cargo mount. I think it's totally doable, but I also have two dogs right now that I think would make it pretty awful for them and me. But having that experience in the SUV made me realize that doing a van would be like living in the Hilton in comparison

Hey there, we live in our '97 CR-V very comfortably in Canada, mind you though us ladies are crazy and love sleeping through the "Ice Age" season. The Durango I am sure is a much larger vehicle than the CR-V, so room you will most definitely have (the two of us have good room and storage in the CR-V). As for bathing we use a solar shower and DIY pop-up shower curtains in the summer, then truck stops in the winters.

With proper planning you can live in just about anything. Before the CR-V we've lived in a 3-door Saturn SC for 2 years without any issue. Happy dwelling! :)