Any SUV dwellers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m planning on full-timing in a SUV as well and just purchased a Suaoki S270 150Wh Power Station. It can be charged while driving, in a coffee shop, and with a small dashboard solar panel. Youtube has some great videos on the Suaoki including one by Carolyn’s RV Life (Super simple rv electrical and solar) and one by Road to Rechah (Vanlife WITHOUT solar). This item fits the simple needs of a minimalist well.

Hi, new to this and will be full timing in oct.. I've been getting rid of stuff in my apt. will put some furniture in storage for now. It's hard to figure out how much clothing u will need and camping stuff takes up room.  Am going to buy a cargo carrier and put on suv. I don't want to carry my propane tanks and small generator in car.   I bought a simmons twin size foam pad and with blankets under it hope it will be comfortable enough since I have back problems . Will try and keep bed set-up if possible not a lot of room in suv..
Appreciate any helpful tips.  I'm comfused on what to do with mail at this point when full timing have read tip and tricks but I still have so many questions.   Thanks :D :s

Hi, your story sounds alot like mine with one except, I plan to use my set up for trips. Upon research there seems to be so many different way to make a SUV feel like home. I am still in the setup stage. Just finished my partitions curtains today. I am still getting my supplies together as I have to plan and purchase them based on my budget. So many options and styles to go with. Dont know if you plan on having storage under your bed but I kept mine to a minimum and chose to store my stuff in other areas on or in the SUV. A cargo carrier is a good idea and I plan on getting one of them. Bob Wells interviewed a lady on Youtube that had that set up and she said it worked well for her. What I thought was really nice about it was she could still open her back hatch with her storage bins in place. Even with me still doing the set up I am enjoying it and look forward to finishing. Keeping it simple may just work for me.

Sunnydaysahead said:
Hi, your story sounds alot like mine with one except, I plan to use my set up for trips. Upon research there seems to be so many different way to make a SUV feel like home. I am still in the setup stage. Just finished my partitions curtains today. I am still getting my supplies together as I have to plan and purchase them based on my budget. So many options and styles to go with. Dont know if you plan on having storage under your bed but I kept mine to a minimum and chose to store my stuff in other areas on or in the SUV. A cargo carrier is a good idea and I plan on getting one of them. Bob Wells interviewed a lady on Youtube that had that set up and she said it worked well for her. What I thought was really nice about it was she could still open her back hatch with her storage bins in place. Even with me still doing the set up I am enjoying it and look forward to finishing. Keeping it simple may just work for me.

Good Morning, well i'm still getting rid of stuff out of apt. . Doing babysitting to buy things that I will need. Today I will receive my camp stove ordered from Walmart and I have ordered a 5 gal propane tank from amazon. My son just told me that the propane won't last long in just a 5 gal. so I guess I will have to buy some of the bottles also. I can't do any heavy lifting and that's why I got the small tank and space also. One of my dilemmas is how much clothing to bring with limited space will have a suitcase  :s .  I guess the way it looks i'm going to have to get mail forwarding and the way I understand in NV it's $ 145 a yr..  :-/   Does Ariz. only have one long-term place to stay ?  What about NV . does it have a long-term ? Need all the help I can get  :) Thanks jeeptraveler

Matildas mate said:
I’m planning on full-timing in a SUV as well and just purchased a Suaoki S270 150Wh Power Station. It can be charged while driving, in a coffee shop, and with a small dashboard solar panel. Youtube has some great videos on the Suaoki including one by Carolyn’s RV Life (Super simple rv electrical and solar) and one by Road to Rechah (Vanlife WITHOUT solar). This item fits the simple needs of a minimalist well.

I had thought about getting a dashboard solar panel but I got a 100 watt panel that folds. I will get my battery for it before I leave in oct. . I'm going to use mine for my Dometic CF 18 that i'm going to buy.  :)

Jora said:
I have been on the road since April 13 of this year in a Ford Expedition, a larger SUV, and have plenty of room.  I have a large plastic bin for clothes, one for books and misc, a short one for cooking items, and a short one for food.  I use a butane stove on top of one of the bins for cooking, and a fold down turbo toilet from Amazon for the obvious.  I took out the third seat and folded down the rear for a flat area in back of the front seats.  My bed is lengthwise and fits me at 5'1" and my 50 lb pit bull.  I do have a hitch carrier in back for extra food, water, etc.  it is very doable to live in an SUV.

I've been road-tripping/part-timing it in an old Ford Expedition. As long as you're carrying tons of stuff (and don't need to stand up inside your "house"), I think you could live in one of these things. It's a perfect sleeper compartment, anyway. I just pretend I'm in one those Japanese capsule hotels:)

I have a new Highlander Hybrid on order and I intend to use it like a bigger Prius camper (because I am a bigger camper). I have been watching a lot of videos trying to get a list of items to add (but not too much) and if this turns out to be an epic fail I will go back to upgrading my class C to being more boondocking-friendly. (The HiHy is for me, and the class C is for when the wife comes along.)

I say "fail" because it is my intent to continue working my job while on the road, so if I cannot make that part work, I have to head back home.

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and planning to be an SUV dweller in the near future. I'm considering a Subaru Forester for my home. I want something that can go into the back country. I don't need a lot of space, for me the freedom of high ground clearance and AWD far out weigh the comforts of more space. I do a lot of backpack camping so i'm used to living light.

Anyone else on here in a newer model Forester? With the back seats down would I be able to sleep with my head by the back of the front seat and feet towards the back lift gate? I'm 5'10" 155lbs.

I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I make the leap so any advice would be helpful.

Hi Johnny Utah said:
I am a part time dweller in a Honda CRV.  I did remove the 2 back seats since they refused to fold flat.  The seats are in storage at a family's house so they are there when the time comes to put them back in.

I made a single bed out of 3 pieces of plywood and 2x4s.  I made it so each end of the plywood would hinge so I could get to the underneath storage.  And you need as much storage as possible.  By building a bed platform, you don't lose that 'under-the-bed' storage.

DqIoZZsk1PvD1h3KHipc7ODXcVQHlfwyxbBM_aTSrgGCab7Uyi1rVx13xMJ3K1HPi_pvyyxOJtCGhKvq2byw95K3Xyklc-NqBA85Y0CFtyjVyGFySe_NDQDdf9I3g8Pg9V-ehLrrLou8kdqOrAWHUIDrhukIumCFLzdWRnzZjD-G-xFDWdTUNz4mL87A5PmmbHUvxix9SBqXNEvfZwtl5XnycGiiq3uDa8VgWuteRobqOvvNPydvWLnPyOV_NgoX-VXHSNbxYNm8XEA0NRPdXjRpdtl4zLlNkqw_Jen_PK4WPsdLKZKMMlT2PfASo0EShDIbK0eea_bTFu-Eqd9EJNj04MkNvdjC9s8ayZAX_eIFmNHOgazDzXKkUmsLKj6vkm8iVNkqnshWlAxPAEr3T_6ztflkVHyxNgOOi-8vdV-Ez77zkzhEfGzpebV5vq4SI44tZEmxM-rbxBfoFVZXd7cDxv3MwUj6MsccSJlyUqNHj4J68feYlI4m3sgPDHfBPokarqBEnXsR73qddRnW0DWnc_30a_mmTMhdTbTekl9BJ87v7CFIKwtpXIxJfW4h94Idu7YF5YouMuYwRkrkWbed39AvGGkFTiM6XoxHljZlU5nVbo-QPrlRi9JYZ6ts-4GMpXpQpwJYvVKuw6E4r_53=w1251-h938-no

WrQ2Jf73V4qDKM_WF1KIJwzXFwkPqgfb60g4-A-JNrKHw3OeySRbNYIN-7nE29t4VJij8-pTLWyt0ZQBiDVqOTlVMdzz0XnkqJFNAYzLTPt-uvvWpf0giq9BD_l4TlOy8ZpU8qoDK7fIC2RVAiOcMt1421wzGaz3Csq4S7z2YUfjoEFN_I9nONoYFNOkVFqK2u4mNfGMtKWFlgZ6gJ5vd0I2CUeiKzjQjAJGngIq-2falGfosx3S2L6Z0GlPReVEGvkns9_DpE9XI4EY0oSHcrI8lDrX-WJkJ1fohUV6axl8ZyTBaPQKBXm9lwhyodoHCW6OTGH92msAdOQtqpxo4b2vpcJgjtvQkFI6ZJ_vQxVQ9LrW6TfEAiL4rz6D4-kCTIWZzVYa7LgRhOLVsK-bY8uXq1LV0scSENG29yddr8KzV-7dmg_gPu8Kp7hpvf8IgHpUoCbQ-7b6ixkYOjzhnMZ0eY0dCKXayJ7uHIZQPd-J3_kyGPS1TfHAlddQCbH_XrNqVtsx9x0px66_hspUDDy5JCsBSwQxNIsaosmA2_2vYfnmswweKdGF2UHjJCrzKcDmc5uNl3SbuLG8XXSNxDUIOVaogkdoPmrZkFjGlDfkI2q6XCa-BkCgxV2Akb6sWudX3JI1SvrHCfi5Ag1ufJgT=w1251-h938-no

I have that cardboard 'template' for the refrigerator.  I needed to make sure the important things would fit.

I use a 500w lithium battery that can be charged via car/solar/electric outlet.  I have a 100w solar panel that folds into thirds.  I can charge my battery while driving or via solar or plugged in.  So far my fridge lasts more than 10 hours on just the battery alone.  (10 hours has been the longest I've need to run my fridge)

I also have a one burner butane stove and a notebook grill for cooking.  I carry a chair, table, reliance toilet, privacy tent, craft boxes (I paint and sew) and clothes/personal needs.  I am still thinking of rigging up a shower with one of those weed sprayers, and getting a solar oven.

I have special screens on both the rear windows.  They protect me from dust and that means a lot, but I can put the windows down for fresh air and still be bug proof.  I have a moonroof that I need to make a screen for and maybe the passenger side window.  Oh, I also have rain guards on all windows except one - it flew off the other day.  I am gonna contact weathertech to see if it can be replaced. 

I use my CRV as a tent, meaning I don't live in the CRV, I live outside the vehicle as much as I can.  I am thinking of some sort of screened-in something, but haven't found anything that strikes my fancy yet.

I read tons of forums and watched youtube, and they all talked about stealth.  I am in the camp that I just want my privacy when I am inside my vehicle and I don't care if I am stealth.  I live in Arizona and there is so much BLM land that you there is always a place to camp.  Even if I must park at a walmart, I don't worry about stealth.

I am learning as I go just like a few people out there.  I want to try this lifestyle to see if it fits me.  If it works, then I will want a van.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPPRk7hCDZ2kPWndSKPtZID_fExc4RVJtD7gKDp

I've been living in a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport plus a storage shed part time since May 2018. I will be full timing in it once I leave for the RTR. Pictures included.

Attachments

• matildafront001.jpg
    matildafront001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • matildaback001.jpg
    matildaback001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
So are you considering keeping stuff in a storage shed, downsizing, tent or cargo trailer.

Just me and what I can fit in my vehicle. I've been measuring how much stuff I've donated or given away (no one wanted to buy what I was selling) in the past month. It was over 2 and a half tons of stuff from eight years of accumulation, and I'm still going. Last day to do so. I want to start headed to the RTR Monday morning.

Arcys Road, and anyone else in an SUV for that matter, there is a guy on youtube that has a lot of space saving tips. He is not a full timer but spends months in his Rav 4 out boondocking. His channel is "SUVrving". He also has a book with the same title that is great. By the way, I have no affiliation to this guy, i'm not trying to promote his page for any gain. I just learned a lot from his page about living in an SUV and thought I would share.

Just one comment.
You will really be amazed at the storage space that is gained by removing the rear seats (put 'em in storage).
Build a simple wood frame that supports a plywood platform.
Cheers and safe travels

I live in a Prius V. You'll make a lot of changes and tweeks when you begin your journey. Like Bob says 'Less is More'. I hope most of your time will be spent outdoors!

Hi Everyone, I'm working up a layout for my SUV and since I'll be sleeping in the second row, I'll have the back area for my table and cooking gear. I would love to buy a good ice cooler that will keep everything cool for a good 7 days. I know that one day I'll take the steps towards going solar, but for now I am just testing the waters.

I went to REI tonight and they were selling a Yeti for $300. It wasn't very large and I was hoping for something a little larger and possibly less expensive.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Why not build one or improve a cheap one? Insulation foam sheets with glued on canvas is super strong just be sure to include a drain. You can use what you learn building the cooler to build out your lightweight kitchen.

ChrystalMoon:
I'm in a similar situation: budget limited, and new, so can't waste money.
I commend you for "testing the waters"! :)

Instead of investing a lot of money into a high-end cooler, you could focus on foods that require little to no cooling.

Here's some good threads with excellent info, that helped me a lot when I was planning:
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=31693
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=12882
Those are reliable starting points, which I know had useful info.
If you do a search on "frig", click the "search titles only" radio button, and choose the "Food & Cooking" sub-forum, you'll find other threads.

I already knew about a lot of the items discussed, but had never heard that eggs keep very well. :)

I already had a small hard-sided and a soft-sided cooler, so when I go to town, I get a couple of large soda cups full of ice, which typically lasts for about 2 days, and still has a mild cooling effect for another day or two. I use that for regular cheese, frozen items that I'll eat quickly (e.g. veggie burgers), and may also open a multi-meal can of something.

I haven't risked meat - instead I use bacon bits, SPAM, meat sticks and very small cans. I gave up on milk & just use powdered.
In addition to regular cheese (which I try to eat within one week), I carry freeze dried cheese.
Ditto for vegetables.
I buy regular bread when possible (eating within about a week) and carry canned bread and whole wheat flour. I can make tortillas very easily, from scratch & cheaper than store bought. :)

I've been continuously full-timing for 3 1/2 months, and have been ok, and have kept with the same food budget I had pre-vehicle-dwelling.
I still fantasize about cooling, but I'm eating fine. :)

I recommend you experiment while you're still in a regular building. It can be a fun challenge. :)

Latest posts