Any stealth issues with an RV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gigi said:
I know these aren't easy decisions but we can get bogged down in the details.  I know I sure can!  

Gigi <3

Agreed......I think I may be overthinking things.  I need to get something I can afford and then adjust as I go if necessary.

Thank you.

Another feature to consider: An RV is self-contained. People assume if you are parked in an RV you won't be using their street or front yard as a toilet. Of course, some vans are self-contained, too, but one doesn't assume that.

ggwoman said:
Hi Cheli,
Do you plan on staying in the same city or travel town to town? 

I definitely plan on traveling the country.  Maybe staying in a city for a week or so here and there depending on what's going on but mostly traveling.  Thanks for the tips.

Almost There said:
Some people think that it's important to hide their lifestyle from everyone...some haven't even told their family how they're living. Some work full-time jobs that, in their minds, would be endangered if the truth be known. To them 'stealth' is of the utmost importance. They spend their nights hiding that they're sleeping in the vehicles. Mostly these are people who are living in large urban areas and are staying in the area for one reason or another.

Others', I swear, think that they have to just plain hide their lifestyle like they think they're doing something wrong...maybe they are, I don't know!!

I don't plan on hiding my lifestyle, in fact, all my friends and family know my plans.  I think I'm just hung up on the stealth issue for safety at night, depending on where I'm sleeping.  It's probably more in my head than an actual issue.  But everyones input definitely helps, thank you.

Thank you everyone.....tons of great advice and words of wisdom here. So I've learned that I should decide what to buy depending on how I want to live and what I need (or don't need) inside my home. I should stop worrying about being stealth and just make sure I don't overstay my welcome anywhere.

I have a new perspective on this now.....and that's a good thing.

RV is GREAT. I would not go over 26 foot.

I have stealthed in Santa Cruz in the city many times in 2015

I have a 22' Chinook Concourse 2005 RV. With bikes in back on rack it is about 25' long

I have stealth camped in SF Bay Area, Bend Or, Downtown Vancouver Canada right next to a high rise on False Creek, Tahoe City, Seattle, etc

The only knock I got was in Tahoe when I tried to camp next to a vacant cabin. The neighbors saw me driving around looking for a place and thought I might be scoping the area out

Best to camp in busy places. Like in Tahoe City I actually camp in downtown right off the main street. Kings Beach I camp next to a restaurant I like. I camped in same spot in Tahoe for 6 nights. Bend Oregon I camped in same spot 3 nights.

Some places I get to know the homeowners. We hang out

26' is biggest I would go. I like the old Mini Winnies and some of the old RV's. They should look nice and clean. My fav is the Lazy Daze 24 and 26 foot models.

I mtn bike and hike off my rig

No need of a van. Take the bathroom with you and live a bit

The picture I attached is my in Vancouver July 2015 on False Creek next to high rise and doorman. I slept and ate breakfast there :)))))

Attachments

• DSCN0042.jpg
    DSCN0042.jpg
    30.5 KB
Cheli said:
I keep going back and forth with buying a van or an RV.  My biggest concern is that I will be a single solo female traveler and I feel that a van would be more stealth so I don't stick out as a tourist or traveler.  But I feel that an RV would accommodate full time living better.

Do any of you have any experiences where you wished you had a van instead of an RV?  Or can you share any reason as to why you are happy that you are in an RV?

When I was shopping for a replacement for my van, I had two criteria in mind:

It had to be small enough to fit in any standard parking place at a Walmart, yet big enough to accommodate two people and a dog.

and

Not have the roof leak/things coming apart problems commonly associated with older "tin-sides" RV's.

I considered makes and models like Mobile traveler, Trans-Van, Brougham, and smaller Chinooks but went for the older class-B Ford only because it it was based on a Ford van body instead of using a glassfiber, or tin.

Still hard to stealth in it. The only times I wish I had a standard van again is in the woods, when the hightop gets in the way of redwood tree branches, or during high winds when the RV feels more like a giant sail on wheels and I cant seem to keep her in a straight line.

TheTortoise said:
RV is GREAT. I would not go over 26 foot.

I have stealthed in Santa Cruz in the city many times in 2015

I have a 22' Chinook Concourse 2005 RV. With bikes in back on rack it is about 25' long

I have stealth camped in SF Bay Area, Bend Or, Downtown Vancouver Canada right next to a high rise on False Creek, Tahoe City, Seattle, etc

The only knock I got was in Tahoe when I tried to camp next to a vacant cabin. The neighbors saw me driving around looking for a place and thought I might be scoping the area out

Best to camp in busy places. Like in Tahoe City I actually camp in downtown right off the main street. Kings Beach I camp next to a restaurant I like. I camped in same spot in Tahoe for 6 nights. Bend Oregon I camped in same spot 3 nights.

Some places I get to know the homeowners. We hang out

26' is biggest I would go. I like the old Mini Winnies and some of the old RV's. They should look nice and clean. My fav is the Lazy Daze 24 and 26 foot models.

I mtn bike and hike off my rig

No need of a van. Take the bathroom with you and live a bit

The picture I attached is my in Vancouver July 2015 on False Creek next to high rise and doorman. I slept and ate breakfast there :)))))

Santa Cruz, and most of the surrounding communities are quite tolerant of van dwelling, and RV living. Ive been doing it here for years and I have YET to have a bad encounter with police or neighborhood watch. Just as long as your respectful to others, and don't stay more then a night in once place. I rarely do it, but I have parked myself in Harvey West here in Santa Cruz and spent a night. I even had my interior lights on and no one bugged me cause I wasn't making any noise. I have also spent many nights out on Scenic Route 1, and a couple on Highway 9.

If the van looks like a contractor model, people will be trying to break in to steal tools that they can pawn.
I have a 30' Class A that I find is larger than I like. I have explored the following options. Van with high top, Class C under 22', or build a shell for the truck that I already own. I think with my present finances, it will be the last one. I was at Home Depot today trying to figure the materials to use for the lightest camper possible, (my truck is 1/2 ton, and I don't want to max out with just building material).

The biggest factor I think for citizen complaints to the Police is appearance. If your rig looks like you would rather spend your money on drugs than keeping your rig in top shape expect trouble.

Attachments

• Camper.jpg
    Camper.jpg
    301.4 KB
  • Camper2.jpg
    Camper2.jpg
    210.5 KB
BradKW said:

I don't really see any problem with being seen as a tourist ot traveler......

The problem is you can be a target for thieves who assume you have plenty of valuables stored inside. 125 miles away from Brad's town is a Walmart that has the highest rate of vehicle break-ins of any Walmart in the country. It's in Florida City FL,  and although a city ordinance prevents overnighting there are HUNDREDS of travelers passing through "The Gateway to the Keys" every hour stocking up on supplies there. The large number of un and under employed locals know this and use the knowledge to try to supplement their "income".
The gender difference would only matter if being stalked. And whether the stalker saw you enter a van or an obvious RV probably wouldn't make a difference, if they are disturbed enough to commit that type of crime they probably don't care about the improved comfort of a class B or C.
Stealth is VERY important for me because I've spent most of my van camping in areas that don't allow it and STRICTLY enforce the law.
BradKW's hometown of Key West is a perfect example.
Parking and sleeping on a Key West street in anything that looks like an RV you will get busted. No fine, just a warning. And the fact that a Monroe County Sheriff's Deputy/Detective along with his siblings owns the major campground one bridge away ($150/night!) makes it pretty impossible to get away with. Meanwhile I've logged over 40 week's worth of high season Key West nights on the downtown streets in my stealth vans over the years, never once busted.
This year I ran into a guy who was busted there on his first night in his brand new Ram Promaster white cargo van.
His mistake? He put a foil windshield cover up for privacy. Instant clue to the authorities, no contractor does that.
And hey.....
SHOUT OUT to BradKW!
I'm the guy you met in the parking lot at Strunk's hardware in April in my Transit!

If stealth is priority one then forget the RV idea. Personally I think blending in prevents trouble before it can even begin. For one person I would say a van should do fine especially if you set the interior up right for your needs. Besides, an RV requires you to tinker with plumbing, electrical and heating systems that are more complicated than what is in a converted van. Then there's the added expense of lower MPG. Parking hassles, roof leaks, more openings for rodents to enter and set up their home, etc.

If you decide on a van then there are other further questions to ponder but the big question I found hard to decide was if I should have windows in the back or not. It's a tough trade off. No windows provides much greater security. Windows provide a more livable abode. Just thought I'd mention that since security seems to be at the top of the list.

Yes I also think no windows gives more security but then there's the concern that thieves will think it's a perfect target for tools.

It's seems it's not such a simple choice to me, either one has its pro's and con's.

If you buy a window van, it's very easy to black them out so it's impossible to see through them. That way you get the bet of both worlds and can change your mind and open them up if you prefer that.
Bob

DannyB1954 said:
The biggest factor I think for citizen complaints to the Police is appearance. If your rig looks like you would rather spend your money on drugs than keeping your rig in top shape expect trouble.

I've noticed this a lot around Seattle. The better curb appeal, the more you can get away with. The more dingy your rig looks on the outside--no matter how awesome it is on the inside--the more people will have a problem with it and call police to do something about the creepy eyesore.

Magnetic B&W Event only.jpgI have windows all around with factory deep tint so not all that dark. In my Sprinter I had windows almost all the way around and some were Limo tint. I'm thinking about adding film to my Transit windows so contents are not as visible. I did tint the front sides to 23% in both vans.
Since it is new and silver as was the Sprinter I just look like a people transporter and am never bothered. I was busted ONCE in a beach town where a certain parking lot always had a half dozen campers, many with pop tops up and some really setting up camp. So returning there after several prior visits I felt comfortable, but a police officer came and took down our plates as well as drivers licenses and warned us to never try again. I don't count that as a stealth bust, just a change of status quo.
I also have a few magnetic signs I stick on as needed. This was the Sprinter, the rearmost sides did not have windows and that spot worked great. The Transit with full windows doesn't have a nice flat spot anywhere.

Attachments

• Magnetic B&W Event only.jpg
    Magnetic B&W Event only.jpg
    126.6 KB
DreamTransit1 said:
I have windows all around with factory deep tint so not all that dark. In my Sprinter I had windows almost all the way around and some were Limo tint. I'm thinking about adding film to my Transit windows so contents are not as visible. I did tint the front sides to 23% in both vans.
Since it is new and silver as was the Sprinter I just look like a people transporter and am never bothered. I was busted ONCE in a beach town where a certain parking lot always had a half dozen campers, many with pop tops up and some really setting up camp. So returning there after several prior visits I felt comfortable, but a police officer came and took down our plates as well as drivers licenses and warned us to never try again. I don't count that as a stealth bust, just a change of status quo.
I also have a few magnetic signs I stick on as needed. This was the Sprinter, the rearmost sides did not have windows and that spot worked great. The Transit with full windows doesn't have a nice flat spot anywhere.

[ATTACH=full said:
7764[/ATTACH] DreamTransit1 pid='201366' dateline='1463747465']

Attachments

• IMG_2706.JPG
    IMG_2706.JPG
    106.2 KB
with that Event Transport sign here in California you better have Livery plates or that's a red flag. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
with that Event Transport sign here in California you better have Livery plates or that's a red flag.  highdesertranger

The intent was to make it look like a group was using it for their own members to get to and from an event, not as a limo or sedan for hire. That's why I used such deliberately vague language. When the standard plate is seen by anyone questioning the purpose I assumed that would make them aware that this was for a private groups use and convenience. 
Used it for over seven years now on the Sprinter and Transit in MI, IL, IN, WI, MN, OH, KY,TN,GA,and FL. Never a problem.
I should be in CA this Autumn, and per your advice I will research this further.
Thanks for the heads up HDR!
That's one of the great things about this group, since we are all mobile we end up in places with different laws and attitudes so this way we don't arrive clueless!