Any stealth issues with an RV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think ggwoman's point is crucial.

I full-time inside Seattle proper. Not on the outskirts, but actually smack dab inside the city. I avoid downtown when I can but do spend some nights there as necessary.

I started out in a full size van, but switched to a minivan for stealth and safety reasons. In the minivan I can full time in places that RVs can only get away with passing through. The full-size van had multiple break-in attempts. The minivan has had none.

For me, the way it worked is I found an area that I wanted to make my home, so I bought the vehicle that would let me do that.

If I was traveling, I would seriously considering going non-stealth, whether by van or RV. I feel the public perception of RVs is friendlier than vans and that can work to your advantage. As someone mentioned earlier in RVs people don't know whether you're home or not. With cargo vans I reckon they're trying to break in to steal valuables and assuming no one's inside.

The important thing to know is that you will be okay with either one. There will be places that don't work out so well for one or the other, but if you're traveling and use basic common sense to park where it won't bother people and don't overstay your welcome either vehicle works.

When I first began this life i was living in a tiny two door car that was not stealth at all, a disabled young woman on her own! It was terrifying, but I learned it really isn't as dangerous as social perception and condition has taught us it is. Even with the break-in attempts with my cargo van (don't worry, I'm told Seattle is unusually bad about that) I simply hopped into the front seat and drove away. For me fast access front to back is a key safety feature.

Best of luck! I think yes, you are overthinking it, unless you have a specific location in mind that you want to stay in, in which case we wouldn't be able to offer much advice.

Go to Nomadic Fanatic's YouTube channel. He is currently in a Tioga Class C and dry camps both in and out of cities. He can't be stealthy. It is obvious that he is sleeping in his rv, but it doesn't seem to affect what he can do or where he can go. He provides plenty of tips on how to do it and where to look for spots. Being obvious that you are there, but never overstaying your welcome in an area or becoming a nuisance can be a lot better than having people (including cops) wondering what you are up to because you look like you are trying to be sneaky.

I think stealth is overrated. personally I think the only person you are fooling is yourself. nothing brings more suspicion than someone trying to hide what they are doing, imo. highdesertranger

There are many good points already here that I won't rehash. I do have a few logistical thoughts to throw in. The reason I was interested in a van is that I, a female who'd only ever driven a full-sized truck a few times, wanted to be completely comfortable driving my home. I don't think I could have ever been comfortable (or it would have taken me a ridiculously long time) with anything longer or taller than my Roadtrek. I didn't want to be scared or stressed while backing into a great wooded boondocking site, or cutting corners too closely, didn't want blind spots (another of my requirements was a big back window). I wanted to be able to park it in regular parking spaces without the back end hanging out.

And, yes, I was worried a little about stealth as far as parking and sleeping in it. You see, I get away with staying where I work multiple nights a week. No one has ever remarked on the big white van that I drive other than to say that I must spend a fortune driving it to work every day. If they saw me get into a Class C after work every time, they would pay closer attention to my overnight activities, maybe even begin to notice me at Lowe's or Walmart overnight too. As it is, my white van isn't remarkable enough. It's not that I'm so stealth - if you actually pay attention you'll see my fridge vents, etc. that makes the van recognizable as an RV - it's that I blend in well enough that people DON'T pay attention.
I'm not worried about what my co-workers will think of me either - it's that I don't want to lose the very convenient privilege of staying overnight in my parking lot sometimes.

So with a van you have the convenience of outer space as far as movement and parking. Class C you have the convenience of inner space.
However, I'm a bit of a minimalist as far has "stuff" goes. My cabinets and storage cubbies are only half full, so the convenience of inner space is a moot point for me.

gcal said:
Go to Nomadic Fanatic's YouTube channel. He is currently in a Tioga Class C and dry camps both in and out of cities. He can't be stealthy. It is obvious that he is sleeping in his rv, but it doesn't seem to affect what he can do or where he can go. He provides plenty of tips on how to do it and where to look for spots. Being obvious that you are there, but never overstaying your welcome in an area or becoming a nuisance can be a lot better than having people (including cops) wondering what you are up to because you look like you are trying to be sneaky.

Given that Nomadic Fanatic is a public figure, I think it is safe to say that someone with such a negative reputation for things like showering at Wal Mart parking lots is probably not a good role model.

Choose your heroes carefully!

highdesertranger said:
I think stealth is overrated.  personally I think the only person you are fooling is yourself.  nothing brings more suspicion than someone trying to hide what they are doing,  imo.  highdesertranger

I think you and I have different definitions of stealth.

I regularly sit in the front seat to be on my computer because it's comfortable, especially after I've just parked and the seat is still warm. I'll sit there for hours, clearly visible.

But I do try to conceal the fact that I actually live in my van. Why? Because it upsets people in the upscale neighborhoods I prefer to park in. For me it's never about trying to make sure no passerby can figure it out--of course they can. Rather, it's about blending in enough that they'll have no cause to notice me and no reason to care.

I often park in a school zone, simply because that's where there are spots available. If a kid ends up asking her mom why someone's sleeping in the van over there, it's likely the cops will get called, either by that mom or one of the others when word gets around.

Whereas if someone with a sharp eye notices my windows are blacked out and you can't see straight through front-to-back of the minivan, they'll know straight away someone's living in it. But usually those sharp enough to note such things are also smart enough to know there's no threat from the lifestyle.

There's "sneaking around" and then there's simply being discreet.

I spent 4 years of my childhood in Cameroon with my family, much of that in a remote village only reachable by helicopter. The villagers there felt that if you closed the front door of your mud brick house--ever--that you were trying to hide something secretive and presumed immoral. Whereas we just wanted to eat family dinner in peace without the goats and chickens wandering in.

Privacy isn't always a bad thing, and I don't believe it's fooling ourselves to create a setup that at least 80% of the population is not going to recognize as being my full-time home. I'm not sneaking around, I'm simply not advertising the fact that I live here on every exterior surface of my vehicle, as is the case with an RV.

any stealth issue with rvs? well the moment i crawl out of anything stealth is blown,cant be stealthy waving and talking to everyone

ascii_man said:
Given that Nomadic Fanatic is a public figure, I think it is safe to say that someone with such a negative reputation for things like showering at Wal Mart parking lots is probably not a good role model.

gotta love when someone obviously hasnt done something puts out a how to video on the subject

Gary68 said:
any stealth issue with rvs? well the moment i crawl out of anything stealth is blown,cant be stealthy waving and talking to everyone

Of course you can ;) It's called the Jedi mind trick.

Bitty said:
For me it's never about trying to make sure no passerby can figure it out--of course they can. Rather, it's about blending in enough that they'll have no cause to notice me and no reason to care.

My thoughts exactly.

And to respond to a different comment: I don't think watching a Nomadic Fanatic video, gleaning a few tips (or entertainment) from his channel, makes him that person's hero. 

With any advice/tips on stealth, or this lifestyle...or any lifestyle: if someone thought dancing naked in a parking lot was okay because they watched a video that said it was okay, the "watcher" is one with the bigger problem. One must learn discernment, not blind following.

Gary68 said:

:huh:  I may regret this.........why would you be "waving and talking to folks" if you were trying to be stealthy......unless maybe your forgot your clothes and are trying to distract them?          

Queenie is practicing her stealthy m.o....she went under a pillow just now.....and now she's out again.

Texas Jaybird

lterry said:
My thoughts exactly.

And to respond to a different comment: I don't think watching a Nomadic Fanatic video, gleaning a few tips (or entertainment) from his channel, makes him that person's hero. 

With any advice/tips on stealth, or this lifestyle...or any lifestyle: if someone thought dancing naked in a parking lot was okay because they watched a video that said it was okay, the "watcher" is one with the bigger problem. One must learn discernment, not blind following.

I guess I didn't state that very well.

First, regarding "heros", I was just quoting a cliche, like how people quote "horses for courses" or "don't buy a pig in a poke" in situations not directly involving equine competitions or commerce in pigs. In this case, I meant "choose your influences carefully".

NF was raised as an example of the social acceptability of using a Class C outside of campgrounds: my point was that he does many socially-unacceptable things and is disliked by many, to the point where his credibility on questions of social acceptability is seriously compromised at best. He also has social media skills which allow him to hide this from new viewers for a while: I thought it was helpful to point this out.

This doesn't mean that his videos have no useful content in other ways, just that I don't think he should be used to support that particular point.

Tjaybird said:
:huh:  I may regret this.........why would you be "waving and talking to folks" if you were trying to be stealthy......unless maybe your forgot your clothes and are trying to distract them?          

Queenie is practicing her stealthy m.o....she went under a pillow just now.....and now she's out again.

Texas Jaybird

born/raised country/rural and thats how we roll

Stealth is;

Not settin up the smoker, wading pool, and lawn chairs when parking for the night. Not tying the pit bull and beagle mutt puppies to the bumper.  Keeping the Duck Dynasty DVD under 25 on the wide screen.  

If you have a current football game on, it is completely stealth with all of the above.   :p 

(At least in Missouri!)  :cool:

GotSmart said:
Stealth is;

Not settin up the smoker, wading pool, and lawn chairs when parking for the night. Not tying the pit bull and beagle mutt puppies to the bumper.  Keeping the Duck Dynasty DVD under 25 on the wide screen.  

If you have a current football game on, it is completely stealth with all of the above.   :p 

3062.jpg

GotSmart said:
Stealth is;

My point was that as long as you do not do something to draw attention to yourself, everything should be good.  

If someone is looking for vehicle dwellers, they would find them. 

If you put out a red tarp in the back of the truck with a couple of good old boys, people will notice. 

I am always a little suprised when someone comes out a side door of a RV.  It all depends where you park.

ascii_man said:

Well, I am not going to be showering at Walmart. But Eric's  tips on where and how to find overnight parking have still been useful.

Gary68 said:
born/raised country/rural and thats how we roll

Sorry about that...I must have blinked and missed the connection between "being stealthy" and "waving etc".   :D      TJB

ascii_man said:
A little warning on the U-Haul van: it will be a short, low-roof, zero insulation, zero heating, zero A/C, and no plumbing.

I tried it myeslf, and my experiment almost put me off of the idea entirely.  I assume that having heat, a bed instead of a cot, etc., would make for a different experience.

Good point, and it wouldn't have the full "set up" as if living in it.