Any stealth issues with an RV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheli

Reaction score
I keep going back and forth with buying a van or an RV.  My biggest concern is that I will be a single solo female traveler and I feel that a van would be more stealth so I don't stick out as a tourist or traveler.  But I feel that an RV would accommodate full time living better.

Do any of you have any experiences where you wished you had a van instead of an RV?  Or can you share any reason as to why you are happy that you are in an RV?

Maybe you could elaborate on what your concerns are and how they relate to being " a single solo female traveler". While it's not at the top of my priority list, a CCTV system is definitely something I plan on having...back-up, side and dash cams can provide real security, and situational awareness can add a lot to piece of mind. And even though I've never owned a weapon, its also something I'm considering.

I don't really see any problem with being seen as a tourist ot traveler, except perhaps if you need mechanical work done...but let's face it, those guys can spot a non-local from miles away regardless of what you're driving...

My way of thinking is if  stealth = blending in.......it all depends on what  you want to do when you travel.  While working or traveling in various vans and pickups I have often slept in them  at rest areas,  wal marts, & all night fast foods  while getting from point a to point b. Also at truck stops.

While traveling with a T.T. I would usually sleep at a truck stop, mostly in the pickup seat.  If I had the $$$$ I'd go with a van fitted out to suit my needs. But that is just what I think would be the best for me.

I've driven O.T.R. in various truck/trailers ....I've also owned 6 T.T.'s and have a pop up tent trailer now.   I have grown tired of "dragging crap behind me" as I put it. 

Most of these were solo trips & some were running in a group..     When alone I sometimes would make a pit stop and then stop to sleep somewhere else....these were usually with just with a van or pickup.

These trips began in my 30s and continue into my 50s........Most were as a solo female traveler.  I think it might be hard to be stealthy in a RV, that was never my need so I'm not the best to answer that one.

I also try to dress neatly without a lot of bling and walk like I know where I'm going and don't have time to mess around when I'm inside a place where I intend to sleep.  It's sad but I think true that just being a lone female can attract unwanted attention.  

I hope this helps even if just in a small way.............Texas Jaybird

I am happy to have an RV rather than a van. But what works for one does not work for another. Stealth? I don't bother.

BradKW said:
Maybe you could elaborate on what your concerns are and how they relate to being " a single solo female traveler".

Well as a solo female traveler I don't want to bring any unwanted attention to myself so my concerns are safety.  

BradKW said:
I don't really see any problem with being seen as a tourist ot traveler, except perhaps if you need mechanical work done...but let's face it, those guys can spot a non-local from miles away regardless of what you're driving...

The only problem I see is when trying to stealth park for overnight sleeping.  I don't plan on staying in parks so need to blend in and figure a van would be easier for that rather than an RV.

We really like the comforts of a RV but even at that ours is missing a lot of the fancy stuff that most RVs have. Fewer things to break and maintain. We do not have automatic levelers, backup cameras, a microwave, slide outs, a generator or an air conditioner but we do have what we want and need.

Sometimes looking like a traveler or a tourist is an advantage. People know that you are just passing through and are not likely to linger in their neighborhood for a long time. Also there's a perception that RVers have guns (we don't) which makes RVs less of a target for thieves. Also if your windows are dark nobody knows if you're home or not.

There have been times that we wished we had a van instead of the RV, mostly when we're visiting a city and there aren't any good spots close by to stay overnight. It's not a big enough problem for us to be willing to give up our RV though.

mockturtle said:
I am happy to have an RV rather than a van. But what works for one does not work for another. Stealth? I don't bother.

I think I would prefer an RV as well. But I would think it's harder to be stealth for overnight sleeping, I don't plan on staying in RV parks or campgrounds. Also I'm thinking an RV would be harder to have accessibility to do different adventure things such as in the mountains or dessert etc.

Maybe I'm over thinking it.

tonyandkaren said:
We really like the comforts of a RV but even at that ours is missing a lot of the fancy stuff that most RVs have. Fewer things to break and maintain. We do not have automatic levelers, backup cameras, a microwave, slide outs, a generator or an air conditioner but we do have what we want and need.

Sometimes looking like a traveler or a tourist is an advantage. People know that you are just passing through and are not likely to linger in their neighborhood for a long time. Also there's a perception that RVers have guns (we don't) which makes RVs less of a target for thieves. Also if your windows are dark nobody knows if you're home or not.

There have been times that we wished we had a van instead of the RV, mostly when we're visiting a city and there aren't any good spots close by to stay overnight.  It's not a big enough problem for us to be willing to give up our RV though.

I'm not so concerned with having all the fancy stuff, just to be more comfortable.  Great point about the advantage of looking like a traveler.  My biggest concern would be the city thing too, but thanks for the input about it not being enough of an issue to give up your RV.

Cheli said:
I think I would prefer an RV as well.  But I would think it's harder to be stealth for overnight sleeping, I don't plan on staying in RV parks or campgrounds.  Also I'm thinking an RV would be harder to have accessibility to do different adventure things such as in the mountains or desert etc.

Maybe I'm over thinking it.

That all depends on how big you go.  Tony & Karen have a nice smaller unit, and it goes everywhere the vans do.  A clean RV would be a little more invisible than a dented one with 6 months of oily filth coating it. 

Also, many people put a premium on not having to be bent over all the time.

Unless you're actually hiding out in one urban area for long periods of time, I really don't understand what all the need for stealth is.

I travelled for 14 years all over the eastern seaboard in a couple of different vans/campers and a 35' RV. IMO there is NO NEED to hide what you're doing at all.

The Class A gave me a lot of room at the cost of gas mileage and higher repair bills. The vans gave me way better annual operating costs at the expense of having a lot of room.

If anyone thinks that they're actually being stealthy when sleeping in their van or RV at a rest area or a big box store, IMO, they're only fooling themselves!!

Even when I needed to stay in a larger urban area for work, I still ended up out on the outskirts for most nights...that's where the big box stores, chain restaurants and truck stops are and where there's access to overnight parking.

Choose that which will make you comfortable and fit your pocketbook - not just initial cost but for ongoing budgets as well.

I can only tell you that as a single female, I am completely comfortable in the van. Without the high top I wouldn't be, but that's why it was on my absolute necessity list when I went shopping. With a well planned interior I have everything I need!

Why don't you rent a U-haul van and give 'er a test trip. Like $20 a day + mileage as long as you return it to where you got it from...........get a little perspective.
You can rent a class C too but a little(LOT) more $.

Almost There said:
Unless you're actually hiding out in one urban area for long periods of time, I really don't understand what all the need for stealth is.
I don't understant the need either, that's why I'm asking.  Is stealth necessary?  Is it not?  I don't know.......I haven't done this yet but I keep seeing a lot of people talking about stealth so that's why I asked if anyone with an RV has had any issues with that or is it a non issue?
I'm ready to make this lifestyle change so looking for pro's and con's.

rvpopeye said:
Why don't you rent a U-haul van and give 'er a test trip. Like $20 a day + mileage as long as you return it to where you got it from...........get a little perspective.
You can rent a class C too but a little(LOT) more $.

Great idea.

I started out in a Class C and loved it. Stealth wasn't an issue.

I didn't love the gas mileage, parking hassles and maintaining the systems.

I downsized to a van and am very happy. The only time I miss the moho is during inclement weather.

A little warning on the U-Haul van: it will be a short, low-roof, zero insulation, zero heating, zero A/C, and no plumbing.

I tried it myeslf, and my experiment almost put me off of the idea entirely. I assume that having heat, a bed instead of a cot, etc., would make for a different experience.

I sat down and wrote out my pros and cons on every vehicle I could imagine and not imagine. I started to see a trend. I also realized I could start small and go bigger if I want or start big and go smaller if I want. I won't know exactly what I want or need until I do it! :) So give yourself some wiggle room and know life is fluid and you can change your mind as you change your needs and wants!

I know these aren't easy decisions but we can get bogged down in the details. I know I sure can!

Gigi <3

Hi Cheli,
Do you plan on staying in the same city or travel town to town?  Because if traveling, I don't think you are going to be hassled much.  The only time I ever had trouble as a young woman was when I lived in my van for a summer and home based at Whiskeytown lake area while driving all over N. CA to interview for jobs.  Even though I moved from place to place every 3 days of so, some local guys decided to have some fun on a Saturday night drunk and surrounded the van.  I awoke and grabbed my tire iron, but stayed silent, ignoring them.They didn't jimmy the locks or anything ( I was so ready for that, it would have been fearsome) and after 20 minutes or so (which felt like an eternity) one guy had the smarts to suggest they go.    After that I made sure to change camping spots every night.  Lucky it's a big lake with plenty of side roads. It all turned out well in the end.   I met him and his sister later on that summer and we became friends and later on met the guys at the lake who apologized. They became a little more protective of me after that and spread the word that a nice girl was there for the summer and may work locally, so be nice. LOL  But seeing a strange van in their area for a few weeks is what prompted their curiosity. I think being a woman in these situations may be easier than for a single man.

I also lived and traveled in a small trailer working the Pacific Northwest tree planting one winter.  Never hassled once and the forest ranger guy let me stay as long as I needed to in the campground for free.  I only had to move once when a reservation showed up.  I don't know about the city. Never had the mind to hang there.

Now I'm getting a 21' trailer, a bit vintage, 1989, but so well taken care of, maintained and refurbed, it's better than new.  I realize I'm trading some ease and flexibility in finding places to stay, but I am also reading up on free camping and will no doubt do hook ups now and then to lux out on.  I think that I will be able to make it work and be able to camp on some back roads and small towns. I have 4wd to help checkout promising places, but again I think once you let folks know you, it helps.

Just don't watch movies like Deliverance (and scare yourself to death) be yourself and let yourself be known.  I think its mostly peeps trying to make it in the city that have to worry.  City folks in my experience are for the main very suspicious, fearful of strangers and thus could be more trouble to you., like calling the cops to check you out or just being assholes with nothing better to do. I got some good advice the other day, if something feels wonky, JUST LEAVE. I plan on that!

Cheli said:
I don't understant the need either, that's why I'm asking.  Is stealth necessary?  Is it not?  I don't know.......I haven't done this yet but I keep seeing a lot of people talking about stealth so that's why I asked if anyone with an RV has had any issues with that or is it a non issue?
I'm ready to make this lifestyle change so looking for pro's and con's.

I think it's important to realize that there are multiple scenarios and different viewpoints at play here in what you're reading.

I live full time on the road but know that legally I have to have a place of residence for governments' sake. It happens to be a friends home and I'll not likely ever stay there unless I'm needed to oversee her two teens for a night. BUT if asked where I live, that's the address I give...it makes officials happy... if they're happy then I'm happy.

I travel for 6 months and then spend six months fairly stationary in an RV park only going off sightseeing or camping occasionally. Right now I'm over 2,000 miles from home... :D 

Some people think that it's important to hide their lifestyle from everyone...some haven't even told their family how they're living. Some work full-time jobs that, in their minds, would be endangered if the truth be known. To them 'stealth' is of the utmost importance. They spend their nights hiding that they're sleeping in the vehicles. Mostly these are people who are living in large urban areas and are staying in the area for one reason or another.

Others', I swear, think that they have to just plain hide their lifestyle like they think they're doing something wrong...maybe they are, I don't know!!

I did this lifestyle for 14 years and was never hassled, not once by any official. I only had one scare in all that time and that was because another vehicle had caught fire in a rest area and I had to evacuate myself and my van in a hurry in the  middle of the night.

The importance of stealth to you will depend entirely on the lifestyle you are intending to lead!

Living in a class C with a 6x12 cargo trailer now.
Plenty of room too much some days.
It is big, no unknown roads..
Pain to run to town for anything
Going to try just the 6x12 cargo trailer next.. if it isn't big enough will get a van to tow it. :)

ldmccain said:
Living in a class C with a 6x12 cargo trailer now.
Plenty of room too much some days.
It is big, no unknown roads..
Pain to run to town for anything
Going to try just the 6x12 cargo trailer next..  if it isn't big enough will get a van to tow it.  :)

:huh:

How will you move the trailer without a van?

:s