Any recommendations for a 12V air pump?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good 12V air pump to keep the tires inflated. I've been looking through eBay but suspect most of them are cheap junk that won't last more than a couple of uses. It doesn't need to go into a plastic case. In fact, something that mounts under the van or in te engine bay and is permanently wired in rather than plugging into the lighter. American made would be nice. Suggestions?

The harbor freight ones last pretty well IF you don't run them too long and overheat them. They are cheap enough, you can buy two and keep a spare handy.<br><br>I will be taking some of them since I already have them from my car (i bought two when I had a really good coupon, one is still new.. I may give it to my mom as a spare).. plus a craftsman one I thought had totally quit (I forgot it was just the automatic part that did).<br><br>I am also I'm going to be hauling a 3 gallon Craftsman 120v air compressor which can be run from my van's generator. If on the side of the road, it'll take less gas (and time!) to run the generator to fill up the tank a time or two on the air compressor which will quickly inflate a 16" truck tire.<br><br>A 12v air compressor takes forever on a small car tire... I'd hate to have to use one on a big 16" truck tire!

Masterflow Mv-50<br>or&nbsp;<br>Tsunami 1050 mf<br><br>same product<br><br>Many versions of this basic compressor exist.<br><br>These hook to the battery terminals with clamps and it draws 16 to 18 amps. &nbsp;Ciggy plug compressors can't really go more than 10 amps and most are under 6 and are much slower.<br><br>I upgraded mine with quality 1/4 NPT air fittings, and installed an 80mm muffin fan to blow over the head and motor.<br>&nbsp;<br>
retaphead1_zps1a26c088.jpg
<br>
fanmountfromback_zps64c1bb3f.jpg
<br><br>No worries about overheating anymore. &nbsp;Before the fan they said 30 minutes maximum run time (duty cycle) before allowing to cool for an equal amount of time. &nbsp;I never needed that much time to take my tires from 32 to 50 psi, but the compressor was very hot. &nbsp;Much less so with the fan.<br><br><br>Sometimes these blow fuses if attached to a tire with 40+ psi in them, then switched on.<br><br>First turn on the compressor, then attach it to the Schrader Valve on the tire.&nbsp;<br><br>I keep mine in one of my hatches over the tire well.<br><br>
popthehatch_zps1748ada8.jpg
<br><br>&nbsp;It is hardwired in to my Fuse block.<br>I can reach every tire and those of the car next to me easily. &nbsp;I also use it to pressurize my water tank to prime the electric pump, and for my suspension airbags, whose Schrader valves are in the same compartment.<br><br>The original air hose must be threaded on the tire stem. &nbsp;This is slow and clunky.<br>I put on a real tire chuck with a lock. &nbsp;I modified the chuck to freely pass air at all times. &nbsp;This is important.&nbsp;Not drilling out the toggle would cause 120 psi to be exceeded in about 5 seconds, and after that some seal or line would blow apart when not hooked to a tire or other buffer, possibly dangerously<br>Do not add a real tire chuck without modifying it to pass air freely when ever the compressor runs.<br><br>
modifyairchucktofreeflow_zpsf6cd0cb2.jpg
<br><br><br>

I got a nice one from Slime,its. Pretty fast and has worked well for the 3-4 times i've used it.cost about $60.o

The nice thing about my Craftsman 120v one since I have a generator in the van is I can also use it for an impact wrench for lugnut removal. It's not the best applicatioon for such a small tank but in a pinch, it really speeds things up since I have 8 lug wheels. It has a 1HP motor so it refills fast. The cheap HF ones I was considering are 1/3 HP... would take a lot longer. Plus the one I got has an oil bath for longer life than the oil-less HF ones.

i just pulled the electric compressor out of my truck(viair 550c 100% duty cycle).&nbsp; i have it listed on craigs list right now.&nbsp; i am installing a engine driven system (york 210) i am about 3/4 done with the install when done i will try to post pics.&nbsp;&nbsp; highdesertranger

Viair units are the top dog in 12 volt &nbsp;air compressors. &nbsp;My Masterflow is a cheap knock off of their units, though Viair is also manufacturing in China now and the quality is apparently not what it was when they were USA made. &nbsp;Typical outsourcing story.<br><br>Do make sure to use the air filter, and make sure the plastic flashing of the molding process is not obscuring the intake holes restricting airflow.<br><br>Once I did not use the filter, and it sucked some plastic inside, which got caught in the reed valve and seriously degraded performance.<br><br>
headplatewithchecvalves_zpse824dabe.jpg
<br><br>Also a bunch of crud got stuck on the cylinder ring.<br>
cylinder_zpsa5cf523a.jpg
<br><br>The bolts holding the head on are usually not tight enough from the factory, or easily loosen up as well. &nbsp;One of mine was finger tight.

You seem to be after the same thing I was a year or two ago. I have had great luck with a $55 12VDC air compressor, Slime's Heavy Duty model, purchased at Walmart. <a href="http://occupation-of-independence.blogspot.com/2011/07/poor-mans-four-wheel-drive-part-2.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">This link</a> gives the details. (http://occupation-of-independence.blogspot.com/2011/07/poor-mans-four-wheel-drive-part-2.html)<br><br>The results have been excellent, even for inflating my van's 16" tires. Standard 12 VDC (cigarette lighter) automotive receptacles work for powering this inflator. It uses about 9 Amp-DC.

Slime also has a 2-cylinder model that inflates faster and has a 30' hose.

If you check in the 4x4 forums there is a popular pump that Checker Auto Parts (sometimes called O'Reilly) stocks that is on par with the $200-300 setups but only $50 from them that is supposedly pretty stellar. &nbsp; Just mentioning. &nbsp;I know you have to wait and see when they are around but usually once or twice a year. &nbsp;A "buy it once" type of item...