Any reason not to tape flexible foam to the outside metal walls?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarmonicaBruce

Reaction score
My new van has bare metal walls. I was going to use foam sheets where possible, but in the little nooks and crannies I'm thinking about using thin, flexible foam and taping it to the walls. I don't see any potential problem with it, am I missing something?

There are so many people on this forum who know so much more than I, I figured I'd ask.

I was going to use this stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-Foam-SealR-Sill-Plate-Gasket-5-1-2-in-x-50-ft-2FS/202080947
I figure it will act as a vapor barrier. Of course I'll have more insulation on top of it.

Sill seal wouldn't be my choice- not much, if any, insulation value....and it's only 6" wide.
Vapor barrier should be on the living side of the insulation- that is where moisture will be coming from(unless of course there are leaks in the shell) in the form of vapor, then condensing on the cooler surfaces.

I'd use 1/2" foil faced foam and layer it in the tight spaces. Sometimes you can score the back and fold the pieces to get them into a hole, then open again. Sometimes fitting pieces together is the answer. A dab of polyurethane adhesive to hold 'em and your good.

In those truly impossible spots, I resort to fiberglass that can be compressed and will expand inside the cavity, those areas really require that the vapor barrier be well installed. I like carpet protector (think wide roll of clear packing tape)

YMMV

Bruce, I used that same product on the ceiling ribs where anything else was too thick. I figured something was better than nothing. I then taped everything with metal tape.
Like this;
a2540e6553f5b07c25f49c1f582a79c8.jpg

9926bae90d99fab775c99a0e92019ce6.jpg

2f6236d1ae5617b90b93eb993d4ecebc.jpg

0d78e6fbf088773ad97ad93d46f28f23.jpg

HarmonicaBruce said:
Pretty cool stuff, I'll bet that would be an excellent vapor barrier. Thanks!
Great idea!!! I am 'stealing' this idea :)

Luisafernandes said:
Like this...
Thanks for the awesome reply, especially the pictures! That's EXACTLY what I needed.
By the way, was that 3/4 inch board flexible enough to curve a little? I assume it was, it doesn't look like it cracked or anything. Good looking job.

HarmonicaBruce said:
Thanks for the awesome reply, especially the pictures! That's EXACTLY what I needed.
By the way, was that 3/4 inch board flexible enough to curve a little? I assume it was, it doesn't look like it cracked or anything. Good looking job.

No cracks, just enough flexibility [emoji106]

What is the purpose of completely covering the ribs with the metal tape?

Almost There said:
What is the purpose of completely covering the ribs with the metal tape?

One; it holds everything else together.
Two; it helps with sealing in the cold or warmth.
Three; makes the van look shiny.
Four; keeps space aliens [emoji573]from reading your mind.
Five; just kidding on the alien thing[emoji56]