any other RTR's?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, PED ...

Just a quick search in Google didn't net much in the way of RV Rallies. There were a few membership groups like Good Sam and others that listed a smattering of get togethers, and some other "clubs" that were manufacturer specific such as Airstream, etc. The RTR, however, rose right to the top of the list on just about every search permutation I typed in. There was a Tampa Bay RV club, again, looks to be membership based, but not much else on the east coast. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but my sense is that BLM land tends to be more available in the southwest, and not so much towards the east. Maybe that's why Horace said, "Go west young man!" :)

It does not take a formal gathering for people to teach what they know and help each other. In fact it is much easier to help folks on a smaller one to one scale because I am actually helping with their needs, not putting general info out to a few hundred. We did it at the Colorado and Flagstaff gatherings and we are doing it in Ehrenberg right now.

So if you want to meet some like minded folk and spread your knowledge or learn from others, put it out there and meet up. It is how the RTR was started.

If you can find a place to hold a gathering , feel free to do so.
You can use this thread or start another one to do organize interested dwellers .
It won't be the first and hopefully not the last time it happens.

Jim is right , it IS easier to learn/help in smaller groups !

GO FOR IT ! ;)

In the SE there are a couple of GTGs, (get-to-gethers). One in the spring & another in the fall. They are not the size of the RTR, just not enough room most places. Cuzzen Dick on facebook and the vandwellers email group (yahoo) knows what's happening.

Very informal, just people camping in the same place. In the spring it's been at Raccoon Creek WMA in Alabama and at Tumbling creek in Tennessee in the fall (an old, closed national forest campground).  Show up, bring up your chair to campfire & become a friend! That's how I did it.

This is not like Bob's RTR with formal classes & scheduled gatherings, OR SIZE. It's just a time & place where some folks get together and camp. I've heard as many as 10 or 15 vans showing up at Tumbling Creek once, filled the place up!  With good weather you could have more at Raccoon Creek.

There is also a roving GTG in the winter. It's in Florida, it moves because of the time allowed at a spot.  Same as the other GTGs, you show up, visit awhile & go on about your business or hang out for awhile longer.

If you have a place where you think you can host some vandwellers, schedule it, get the word out and show up. If you get the camp fire going who knows who'll show up?

Wow.. Thats crazy... Thats practically a day trip for me andI had no idea it was this close... I'm not to keen on hanging out so close to Belafonte though... I usually rush through that area as fast as I can and get as far away as I can as quick as I can... We had an earthquake in that area a few years ago, wasnt big for you guys that get them all the time but it was enough to crack the concrete porch on the house I was renting and it was at least an hour away from there... I always worry about something like that happening while I am there so close to those scary stacks...  I'll  have to see if I can find out when the next meeting is

I know of no other van gatherings referred to as Rubber Tramp Rendezvous other than Bob's. But I think I've seen one or two van meet ups advertised in other areas referred to as RTRs - not 100% sure.

There is also something called common law trademarks - you can google that one. 

Something that may be of interest to Bob though is Wiki -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandwelling

Take a look at the above link and you will see the following at the end of the posting.  I urge Bob to get a link in there for his Rubber Tramp Rendezvous.  Lot of history since 2010 (1st annual event?)

Notable Vandwellers[edit]

Hey Ped,

There was a GTG that was going to happen in the SMoky Mountains in NC, but the organizer backed out.  I'm still up for that, if anyone else wants to, or I am willing to organize one closer to me in Upstate NY - for example, I found some State Parks in Maryland that have group camping for very little money per person.  Still looking for some interest.

The big issue is the number of people that will show up on public land. Quartzsite has been a big event way before Bob. The Blm has waived a number of requirements for this area for this event. It is the exception to the norm. The National Forest Service and BLM and every other agency that manages public land has requirements for large groups. So it is a legal headache trying to comply. To make matters more difficult the person organizing the event has zero authority to make rules for others camping on public land. The Ranger will only enforce rules that the Government has established. Everyone has the right to be there and stay there weather or not the organizer appreciates them being there.
Private land is a separate thing but it would cost money.

It shouldn't be hard for someone back east to come up with a snappy name. How about Fulltimers Rendevous East (FRE) or Camp Up East (CUE)? Anything to indicate that is is different. It would have to be smaller because of space requirements, but not that many fulltimers are back east.

when the RTR first started , we luck if fifty people would show up ! it was that way for years ! now look at it ! lol . you just have too get a few people together and have a good time and it will grow on its own ! just do it ! ha.

If people are having trouble finding a place for a large gathering, why not surrender on the 'free camping obsession', and have a gathering at some county's fairgrounds? I am amazed at how large and under-utilized these can be. And they have facilities that some beginners need, such as bathrooms and trash cans.

It has amazed me to read comments on this forum from somebody traveling 2000 miles to attend the Quartzsite RTR, so they can learn to camp for "free." They certainly use a different accounting system than me.

Kabloonie, you've missed the point if you think the RTR is just about learning to camp. I think
it's more about making connections and creating a nomadic community, that helps each other