any other RTR's?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ped

Reaction score
Is there an RTR for those of us in the east? Maybe one in FL?

Nope, there is only one and only one RTR held by bob wells in Quartzsite, AZ

I'm surprised no one has started more :(

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Bob has trademarked 'RTR' with respect to van/rv gatherings. 

You could, of course, call it anything else with no problem.

Have you ever seen the movie the Founder? about how the mcdonalds franchises were created and got so big. Basically the original owners feared having any other franchises since the original standards that they wished for their company could not be met. And their worst fears were met...

Same thing here, RTR is a registered trademark. Having other ones ran by other people potentially ruining what bob has worked hard for is not something worth risking. He has one to worry about as it is. Having to worry about others putting on RTR's and either purposely trying to ruin his name, or just doing things that aren't in the spirit of why he started it.

Why would someone need to have RTR's other places? they can create their own gathering and create a different name.

This reminds me of the argument (and I think litigation) over referring to a venue as an "opry".

I didn't realize it was a commercial venue. Maybe someone can start a Rubber Tramp Round-up.

ped said:
Is there an RTR for those of us in the east? Maybe one in FL?

There are "GTGs" in the east, last one was in Tennessee(?) maybe 6-8 weeks ago. Don't know if it has all the trappings of a real RTR though. Think there was some chatter on the Yahoo VanDwellers forum.

It is NOT a commercial venue!

And calling it a Round-up and using the letters RTR will still violate the trademark.

Here's Bobs' vision statement. It's for the forum but it speaks to what the RTR is about as well:

Vision Statement:

Hi, my name is Bob Wells and I’m the owner of the site and forum. I post as “akrvbob”. Let me tell you how this forum came into being. When I was living in my van in Anchorage, Alaska, I woke up one cold fall morning and there was a car parked next to me and through the frosted windows I could make out a mom and her two kids trying to sleep in it. My heart leaped out to her because I knew intimately the kind of despair she was feeling right then. At that moment cheaprvliving.com and this forum took root. It was many more years before it was born into the world and grew into what it is now but it still reaches back to the seed that was planted that day. This is my vision for us:

1) To teach people (especially people in need) how to be reasonably comfortable living in their car, van or RV.
2) To inspire others to follow their dreams and live mobile. We’re specifically oriented towards living cheaply and most often in vans, but all are welcome. Vandwelling is an attitude and not a choice of vehicle or residence.
3) To create a tribal community of like-minded people to support and care for each other.

Unfortunately, Bob can't be everywhere in the continent all the time. There's also a big lack of places that anything like the RTR could be held in the east.

Not sure who chose the "rubber tramp rendezvous" catchy but not my favorite. It is joined by the hip with Bob Wells. Happy Thanksgiving one and all

ped said:
I didn't realize it was a commercial venue. Maybe someone can start a Rubber Tramp Round-up.

Why does it need to be anything close to the rubber tramp rendezvous? There are lots of other gatherings that people put their own personal touch on. The RTR is a great event, but if the only reason someone would want to have another gathering associated with the RTR just to cut out the middle man of having to promote and starting from scratch, then they would be trying to hold an event for the wrong reasons. Bob has put a good bit of time and effort into the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, for anyone to want to coast off his accomplishments would be wrong.

I will say, Rubber Tramp Round-Up, isn't a bad name tho. lol

We are not calling our Meet and Greet anything like Sir Bob's...

Trying to determine interest for a SE MNG, SO FAR ABOUT 12 to 15 are interested in getting together. We have not settled on a day and time, or a location.

But I have started a poll for this. And I am gathering items for door prizes and a raffle...

So, check it out...
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=27678

Look through the gatherings section and you will see many smaller gatherings everywhere. This summer I participated in a ge together in Flagstaff, Az and Jefferson, Co. They were much smaller and did not include the seminars but that does not mean information wasn't shared, it just was not in the same way.

I have met people that I consider long term friends at all of the gatherings RTR or not and I am very grateful for them.

There's a roaming SE gathering,. They post on FB. I've posted the link in other threads

Just to be clear it's "rubber tramp rendezvous" that is trademarked and not the acronym?

Why does it matter?

Using a common name or acronym that is already in use somewhere else for the same purpose is infringing on things morally and ethically even if not legally!

And shows a lack of imagination as well!

You can trademark any acronym as long as it does not infringe on someone else's use. AMA for instance, American Medical Association, American Motorcycle Association, American Music Awards.. etc. same letters but different uses. I agree about morally and ethically not using RTR with regards to a van or camper dwelling event unless Bob sanctions it.

So it's like not a real church if the pope hasn't given his approval?

Yeah, something like that. The reasoning behind RTR from what I can garner is it is a learning/gathering. Check the schedule for what happens each day. There are seminars on all facets of living on the road. Anything other than what is expected would be a watered down version and not what the RTR is intended to convey. I think having ONE RTR organized and overseen by Bob per year is a good thing. Remember, Martin Luther set out on his own to establish a new church without the approval of the Pope and look how far that one got. Also notice he didn't call it the new or different Catholic church or anything like that. Galladanb is doing a great job in trying to organize another meet up event. No name yet but like any work in progress, that will change. It will be out East and will most likely appeal to those that just can't make an Arizona trip for what ever reason. Who knows, it may turn into an annual event if all goes well. Wife and I will be attending that one as soon as the details are hammered out.

Would be great if it could.  I have wanted for two years now to go to the rtr for the seminars and learning experiences but am just not able to do so due to work and family obligations.  I watch the videos and read the forums but im a more hands on kinda gal and would really love to meet one other like minded person who doesnt think I'm totally off my rocker (because sometimes I start to think they might be right ;-) ) but also I need to meet others to learn how to build out, what where and why it should be done asi and why you do it this way instead of that... And just to meet up with others who can offer some assistance, knowledge, or supervision lol.. IE I just wAtched the solenoid to charge off your house battery... As great as that seems, here on my own I would never even dare attempt it, id just end up killing and buying new house batteries... Am keen to study and leaRn but not at all mechanically inclined, especially when it comes to putting holes and possibly fires in my baby...   and not meaning any disrespect to Bob whatsoever, nor trying totake anything away from his RTR, just that there are quite a few of us stuck on the east side that want to come but are stuck here for whatever reason and we could sure use the comaraderie and skills that are taught at RTR... what about videotaping the seminars... Is there anyway thats a possibility???