Any one watch Tami's End of RV Living: Why You Shouldn't Go Nomadic

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for me I am more afraid of the police finding a gun in my bus even if I had a permit as a school bus driver I cant get in trouble with the law .
 I was thinking of getting one of though's bean bag guns I do have a big can of bear spray  
 I can hear the bad guys say 
(What are you going to do with that fire extinguisher?) lol. Id be like SLIMER let um have it !!!

Any way Im not trying to go off topic I dont have as much time boondocking as most of yall but I do have a year under my belt and I had no trouble it was the best time Ive had in years .

Looks like Youtube/Google clearly know our interests, I was just going to start a thread about this and was glad to see that someone had beat me to it. I haven't ever been "on the road" in an RV, my experience with this is admittedly zero, but I have to wonder if her point about the criminal element basically "hiding out" on the road might be valid.  It seems to make sense to me that they would have a harder time fitting into normal life (getting an apartment, etc.).  Sure, bad people could be anywhere, but are you running up against a higher percentage of baddies while boon docking than you would be with society at large (honest question for people who do this all the time - I really have no clue)?  I'm not as concerned about someone confronting me, but much more so my wife (who definitely does not look like a boy).  I'm sure like all other married men I would never want to put either of us in a more dangerous situation.  Tami has at least made me take a moment to pause and wonder if I should be concerned.  Am I just being too paranoid?  I don't think that all people are bad or that the sky is falling - and I can appreciate having situational awareness.  I also would just like to know what we are getting into beforehand from people who do it everyday.

like I said "I don't see it". out in the sticks how is a criminal going to make money. there are not enough easy targets and a lot of hard ones. highdesertranger

lenny flank said:
Buckaroo Banzai.
"Wherever you go, there you are" was much earlier used as an aphorism in AA meetings.

Here are others, most from the 40's and 50's, many older.

Easy does it
First things first
Live and let live
But for the grace of God
Think….Think…..ThinkOne day at a time
Let go and let God
KISS – Keep it simple stupid
Act as if. . . 
This too shall pass
Expect miracles
I can’t…He can…I think I’ll let Him
It if works….don’t fix it
Keep coming back….it works if you work it
Stick with winners
Keep right size
Sobriety is a journey, not a destination
Faith without works is dead
To thine own self be true
I came, I came to, I came to believe
Live in the NOW
Turn it over
We are only as sick as our secrets
There are no coincidences in God’s universe
Be part of the solution, not the problem
Willingness is the key
More will be revealed
No pain….no gain
Let is begin with me
Just for today
Pass it on
Don’t quit 5 minutes before the miracle happens
Practice an attitude of gratitude
A friend of Bill W’s
Make use of telephone therapy
Look for similarities rather than differences
When all else fails, follow directions
What goes around, comes around
Change is a process, not an event
Sick and tired of being sick and tired
To keep it, you have to give it away
Take what you can use and leave the rest
What if
You can’t give away what you don’t have
Keep coming back
AA is not something you join, it’s a way of life
A journey of 1,000 miles begins with the first step
God – Good Orderly Direction (Design)
Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation
EGO – Edge God Out
Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm
Principles before personalities
You shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free 
There is only one way to coast, and that is downhill
The good news is you get your emotions back.
The bad news is you get your emotions back.

Lots of thoughts this brings up, in no particular order:

1. You are much more likely to pick up a stalker if you start doing youtube videos and/or promoting yourself on social media. Maybe most people should just avoid that?

2. She speaks of it being more dangerous on the road than otherwise ... but I don't think that's necessarily true for two reasons. First, you can always move and leave most if not all the local predators behind. This is anywhere from difficult to impossible when renting or as a homeowner, and it sure is hard to do it quickly.

Second, because so many neighborhoods are dangerous too. Robbery is common almost everywhere, and many streets in even ordinary neighborhoods are regularly visited by druggies and drunks, gangsters and cretins. Some of them might be your neighbors, their kids, or the scummier pals their kids aren't yet smart enough not to hang around. I used to feel unsafe both leaving my apartment and coming back to it in most places I've lived, and in some homes too. It takes a lot of money to live in a safe neighborhood these days, at least in many many big cities and their surroundings.

3. In line with #2 above, is an attempted break-in such a unique thing that she thinks it might not have happened to her in a house or apartment? Because it surely does happen in sticks and bricks too. And you're around a lot more people who'd like to do it and have all the time in the world to watch you, to learn about you for weeks on end, to figure out your schedule, to get an idea of what kind of nice things you bring in and out of your place and get shown to the world every time your garage door opens ... so they can figure if you're worth robbing ...

4. She speaks of her constant fear. That is impossible to quantify or get to the bottom of. How much is realistic? It's very hard to reduce a mental state down to the facts. And oddly enough, a good percentage of the people I've found to be most fearful have actually been the most safe and privileged people you could find, living in wonderful neighborhoods. So while I understand how terrifying a stalker might be ... don't people living in sticks and bricks have stalkers too? And for that matter, can most people really expect to have stalkers? And what kind of stalker? One you can drive away from or one who follows you? One who sends you nasty e-mails or ... what? It's hard to apply her experience to what others might experience.

5. I do agree that unusual lifestyles attract unusual people. Extra caution is indeed in order. And I don't believe it's wise to invite anyone and everyone into your house, mobile or not, or into your life. I hope everyone manages their risk the best they can and understand the trade-offs.

Dingfelder said:
so many neighborhoods are dangerous too. Robbery is common almost everywhere, and many streets in even ordinary neighborhoods are regularly visited
Wow, I would never tolerate that.

I and all our neighbors never lock our doors, even going away on trips for days.

Leave keys in cars, leave stuff outdoors.

Been like that since at least the 60's.

Same with all the places I've lived overseas, most of my adult life.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

20 years ago my mom was robbed, but only stuff she had locked up in a safe. Turned out to me by sister, got into her safe deposit at the bank too.

You need money to have options. In big cities like in Southern California where I lived,, you need a LOT lot lot of money to be in good neighborhoods.

Only once in my life have I ever lived somewhere where you could leave the doors unlocked. Luckily, that time is now.

For much of America, at least, I believe the 60s are very long gone.

Step one is getting away from the larger man-swarms.

5-6 families in a 1/4 mile radius is about as dense as I prefer.

John61CT said:
YouTube = Google

Bet your petooties they are.

Listening, emails, searches, location info all of it.

It knows my teeth need fixing, nothing I've searched or discussed with anyone.

Lots of women find out they're pregnant by the ads and links show up in their feed.

On the other hand, on Amazon I'm constantly being sent ads for not only music I don't listen to, but have never listened to, and the kinds of books I never read.

Some of this stuff is disturbingly granular, but so much is still scattershot.

What worries me is the security of medical records.  If selling them becomes standard, not just jobs but whole careers could be taken away from people, as well as loans called in or never made, credit extended or never given, insurance coverage never extended or else cancelled, and with it all the activities and opportunities related to that insurance.

Already DNA records are being sold off, which is too close for comfort and which might tell even more.

Yes boggles my mind people volunteering their genetic info, to then be sold off to "health industry" and insurance, or even posting on public sharing sites!

What could go wrong when excluding pre-existing conditions is allowed back?

Dystopian sci-fi wasn't intended to be a how-to instruction manual.

When she made the comment that most nomads look so bad that not even their dog would chase them told me all I need to know about this woman.

Dingfelder

Or you go to Tractor Supply and as you are walking in, your cell phone goes off.

It is a text reminding you what is on sale at Tractor Supply.

Jeff

Dingfelder said:
On the other hand, on Amazon I'm constantly being sent ads for not only music I don't listen to, but have never listened to, and the kinds of books I never read.
Nowadays, most sites you visit "literally" sell parts of their webpage areas to ad servers. The SOBs you dislike "bid" for the spaces, and the winners get to piss you off. The entire world is notified that joe blow has space for ads on his webpage, and the auctions take place in somewhat less than a second. Welcome to the modern world of how to make money on the internet.

https://product.voxmedia.com/2018/1...-giftcards-and-what-were-doing-to-secure-them
"When you visited the page you wanted to view, our ad serving provider (we use Google’s DFP, other companies may use other providers) alerted servers at various ad companies that it had a few ad slots available on the page. Those servers responded with bids for the slots, and the provider chose the winning bid for each slot and loaded in the provided ad code. All of this happened in a second or two while the page was loading."

QinReno said:
Nowadays, most sites you visit "literally" sell parts of their webpage areas to ad servers. 

Yep, and for many years the ad-blockers have worked fine, but now, many of these commercial websites won't grant access if you have ad-blockers running.

So, first, we had web pages....then we had ads on those webpages. Then we got ad-blockers to stop the ads on those web-pages. Now those web-pages have ad-blocker-blockers. What we really need are ad-blocker-blocker, blockers. 

And, now a word from our sponsors....

tx2sturgis said:
Yep, and for many years the ad-blockers have worked fine, but now, many of these commercial websites won't grant access if you have ad-blockers running.

So, first, we had web pages....then we had ads on those webpages. Then we got ad-blockers to stop the ads on those web-pages. Now those web-pages have ad-blocker-blockers. What we really need are ad-blocker-blocker, blockers. 

Well said.   :rolleyes:

tx2sturgis said:
You will remember that some years ago, google invented "ad words", which were short text ads that appeared to the right of the screen when doing a google search. Those were also bid on by the advertisers. This crap we have now is the basterd grandchild of that.

We've gone waaaaaay off topic here. Feel free to start a new thread, rather than derailing this thread any further

Fast Reply (haven't read the responses)

I have seen that video and a couple others of hers. My personal opinion, she makes too many snide and disparaging comments about others that I find off-putting.

It is great that she is happy in her new place, but I won't be watching any more of her videos. I don't require all sunshine and rainbows; I simply don't find value in what she was offering.

cyndi said:
We've gone waaaaaay off topic here. Feel free to start a new thread, rather than derailing this thread any further
The Tami bit was dead after about one reply. Maybe you can change the name of the thread to "Tami is Long Gone, but Long Live Google Ads". Just kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.