Single Parent Caravans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regentalfuture

Reaction score
Hi everyone and sorry for my mini confusion jumbled life story!
I am a single parent with a homeschooled 5 year old kid. 
My former employer partially retired and laid off everyone.
I was the “secretary”
I Had a salary of 35,000 + Bonuses + Allowed to bring my kid to work since birth (added a huge amount of savings in childcare) 
Grandma is in TJ doing the lords work so she wont help by living with us free plus spending money. She said shes tired of raising her own children and first couple of grandchildren. My bros have busy work/family of their own. 
Ive been looking for jobs but still no in-person interview yet. If I stay as a renter paying 875+25 electricity + 45 internet then I’d never really see my kid working two $12/hr jobs and have to enroll my kid in kid jail (LAUSD) 
I don’t get anything in child support even when I’ve fought the courts on my case and even when I have received anything it’s rarely anything at all. 
Even (lots of evens) before ever having my kid, nature always called but I had always let fear and lack of van-dwelling knowledge keep me from life on the road. 
I moved out of my moms at the age of 21, so ive been pretty self reliant for 13 yrs now. 

After seeing Bob’s inspiring videos, I feel it makes economical sense to live on the road! Especially when you do have kids. Time runs out and money can always be earned. 

I want to find a caravan and eventually create a tribe of single parents + grandmas retirees willing to quazi adopt nomadid grandchildren. After all, children are life and grandparents are a wealth of knowledge! 

Ive already downsized, got my drivers licence 3/9/19 (yessssss), and have a hand shake deal for my astro van. Ive gotten rid of a lot of frivolous purchases adding to my savings and doing odd jobs fixing computers and helping the elderly in person or by remote desktop (after meeting in person).
Bringing home approx 1,620 after taxes but before rent/food/electric/internet. 

The only thing stopping me is that I really don’t think I can bring in much income living in areas like  Bob has mentioned and moving every 15 days. I know I will be essentially saving 10,500/yr and be exponentially happier living a nomadic life. Not to mention a priceless grassroots childhood for my kid. 

I know many single parents don’t live the life of a nomad because they don’t have the high income job for childcare. Maybe a couple of like minded single parents and retirees can caravan together in Arizona/Nevada/New Mexico  and only have to work one part-time job and still homeschool to create a miny nomadic society focusing on the ways we all grew up playing on the streets till dark without a worry in the world. 

I think im gona go ahead and be a nomad because if I don’t do it now then I’ll be tied into the city slickers life for at the very least another 15 more years. 

Please share your perspective/concerns. If you are in a similar position that I’m in please share your story so we can all relate and maybe encourage others to join the life.

Im soooo scared to start this new chapter but I know life goes on, even when we fail or succeed, so why not just try... 

Single parents can Nomad too!

Welcome Regentalfuture to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. I am going to move your thread to the "Newcomers corner" because it reads like an intro. highdesertranger

Generating income will be the truly difficult part. You have to get that figured out ASAP.

Hi and welcome, I may be the wrong person to comment on your single parent caravan idea, but gypsies in the UK are famous for doing this so it is doable. It takes a very special person to live in an Astro van full time, with a five year old even more special. It can be done, I am not special enough for that. Can you leave the kid at your old place of employment? Trade it in for a dog or cat, or return it. If not maybe a larger RV would be something to consider, that way if you got a source of income where it required you to show up, you could rent a spot at a trailer park or camp ground or on someone’s property nearby and manage to keep the job going till it ended or you wanted to move on again. This way you could both be very comfortable in your own home, and if you managed to find or put together a caravan you could just tag along only with your nice little home. Some people do this in converted busses or trucks as well, allowing you to have all the amenities of home and a bit of room to walk around along with each having spaces to go to. I saw one women make a little room under the bed for her little girl, another guy did the same thing for his three dogs, I am not suggesting you get three dogs. I am not a candidate for your caravan some kids can be fun but only for short burst and not that often is how I like mine. I wish you luck and it can certainly be done and successfully. Enjoy the journey and get a better lawyer you are owed child support.

You mention having retirees aka grandmas in your caravan to watch the kids.

I was primary caregiver for one of my grandchildren for 18 months.  Monday thru Friday, I was up at 5:30 am, dressed and drove to their house, they were still in bed when I arrived.  I'd get breakfast ready for the baby, make their coffee, get baby up and fed and ready for the day while they showered and dressed for work.  During the day, I'd not only care for baby but do laundry, light housekeeping, some cooking, feed the pets etc, and when they arrived home at 6:30 pm, I'd drive back home, eat whatever was fast and easy, and collapse.  All of this without pay.  I was in my 60's.  On weekends, I'd do my personal laundry and other life chores. 

So, besides lots of hard work without pay, what have you to offer to retirees aka grandmas in your caravan?

What you are talking about having done for your child and grandchild is not even close to what the individual is implying for interaction in a caravan situation.